Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use this? I just downloaded it for my trackday this wknd and it looks pretty solid. Not sure how well the gps will keep up as far as accuracy but for a free app i cant complain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you have your track day?
What is the concensus?
I have Harry's and like it but don't love it.
It somehow lost all my previous outings, and that bums me out, as I wanted to compare my progression from one session to another, and one mod to another...

CrashMW

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've bought the paid versions for all of them and used them quite a bit... my favorite is Racechrono Pro.

Trackaddict: free on android, reliable/consistent, missing features on android version like external video import, in app rendering etc.
Harrys: Most features, but thing is still buggy at times and not consistent for me... i.e. external cam control doesnt always work right or obd connection drop etc
Racechrono: rock solid, works every time, has a good amount of features but that fact that it just works and is easy to use is biggest selling point for me. Developer is on top of it for bug reports etc too.

My external devices include OBDlink MX, XGPS160 and gopro hero5 black

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had some issues with it not starting automatically when entering the track which caused a major distraction while driving and me trying to fiddle with it, but overall it worked great when it did. Not sure if it was something I was doing wrong when getting it ready or if it was just a glitch that happens occasionally like with all free app stuff you get?? I posted pics of lap times, track maps and what it looks like in another thread. The raw data it collects is also helpful to later analyze how everything performed since you cant really run this app at the same time as torquepro, etc. I would highly recommend trying it out and will be using it again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi few questions about track addict, I don’t want it to record the video can I just have it record the road course laptimes for me? And does it do that via GPS and I don’t need to connect to OBDII right?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi few questions about track addict, I don’t want it to record the video can I just have it record the road course laptimes for me? And does it do that via GPS and I don’t need to connect to OBDII right?
It does record via gps, so make sure your phone is not in your pocket or wedged between your seat somewhere; better access to the gps signal it can get the better. It still wont super accurate, as most phone gps is only so so. It will map your route and show your speeds and all that neat stuff. Yes, you can turn off the camera, there is a camera icon, you can toggle front/rear or off. I have only used the free version. It will overlay the video and track stats within the app but i was only able to export just the video file without any of the stats.

For a free app and the one time i was on a track, it was pretty neat. The speed part was a bit average, as in i could tell it was limited on my gps and just did the best it could. It will also set to record by itself when it detects acceleration, so you dont have to try and fumble with the phone right at the start, or just hit record a bit early. I set mine to record with the front camera and wedged it in the passenger seat headrest, gave me an ok view of the cockpit and ahead of me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Very nice that's exactly what I wanted to know, I just want the lap time now but if I want the camera on I will put it in the passenger headrest, coz I don't have anything to hold it good under the windshield.

Yeah I don't need it to be very accurate, I just started HPDE and just want to know a rough lap time. (Any idea how off it is, especially with an older phone galaxy note 3)

Record by itself when it detects acceleration, it does that automatically right? I don't remember seeing that yeste4rday when I was playing with it. So you just have the app on, set the track (which it found) and it will record when car accelerates? thanks so much!

·
Registered
247 Posts
It does record via gps, so make sure your phone is not in your pocket or wedged between your seat somewhere; better access to the gps signal it can get the better. It still wont super accurate, as most phone gps is only so so. It will map your route and show your speeds and all that neat stuff. Yes, you can turn off the camera, there is a camera icon, you can toggle front/rear or off. I have only used the free version. It will overlay the video and track stats within the app but i was only able to export just the video file without any of the stats.

For a free app and the one time i was on a track, it was pretty neat. The speed part was a bit average, as in i could tell it was limited on my gps and just did the best it could. It will also set to record by itself when it detects acceleration, so you dont have to try and fumble with the phone right at the start, or just hit record a bit early. I set mine to record with the front camera and wedged it in the passenger seat headrest, gave me an ok view of the cockpit and ahead of me.

I have PCA for my track days and I can't have anything in the car, floor mats etc. But the passenger headrest held the phone pretty good? It didn't come off? I dont' want to get black flagged or worse heh. But I tried it real quick and it's really tight, hard to get it in actually (ST3 seats) Hopefully it wont' come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts