Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 16 ST2. I had a GTI before this and the tire pressure system was reset easily in the infotainment system. After reading about how the TPMS sensors work on the Focus, it's quite annoying and I feel like my issues are weird.

I bought the car and it had stock wheels and tires on it. I requested my brand new 225/40/18 all seasons from my GTI be mounted on the stock ST wheels. No TPMS issues.

The day after picking up the car, I put the winter wheels and tires in it. Totally different set that the dealership gave me. They are aftermarket wheels and 235/40/17 Falcon tires. I drove about 20 miles with no TPMS light (wheels were still in the car though, could have been reading sensors on the stock wheels?). Got home, put the wheels in my basement, drove 20 more miles and the light came on. About 8 hours later when I got in my car to go check and fill them with more air, the light was off (no where near my stock wheels). Filled them to 36PSI and drove about 5 miles, TPMS light went on again. Drove about 20 more miles and it was on the whole time, turning the car off a few times in between.

Now this morning, parked in my driveway, I went to go get gas and the light was off again. How? Why? The stock tires aren't near where I park my car...they are on the other side of the house in a basement, probably a couple hundred feet away from the car. I'm not even 100% sure the winter tires have TPMS sensors, I texted the guy who sold me the car to ask but he hasn't gotten back to me. I've seen a bunch of videos on how to reset each tires but I can't get my car into the "learning mode" with the 6 presses of the hazard button, just doesn't work...plus I don't have the remote to reset them.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well, the weird part about all of this is that you don't know whether or not the winter set has tpms sensors installed or not, but I get it.

What I would do (and have done)... go to Discount Tire. Simply say "hey, my tpms light has been going on and off but I checked the pressure and they're all set properly... can you help?". I did this when I put on a set of wheels that had been sitting unused for 2 years and the car was not registering the TPMS sensors. The guy at Discount Tire went out to the parking lot with a learning tool, went to each wheel and after about a minute, he came back in and said I was good to go. No charge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the weird part about all of this is that you don't know whether or not the winter set has tpms sensors installed or not, but I get it.

What I would do (and have done)... go to Discount Tire. Simply say "hey, my tpms light has been going on and off but I checked the pressure and they're all set properly... can you help?". I did this when I put on a set of wheels that had been sitting unused for 2 years and the car was not registering the TPMS sensors. The guy at Discount Tire went out to the parking lot with a learning tool, went to each wheel and after about a minute, he came back in and said I was good to go. No charge.
Unfortunately I don't have a discount tire within 250 miles of me. I have a few reputable tire shops around I could try out the same thing you're saying, though. I would like to avoid the dealer as I know they will charge me as much as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did the same thing when I didn't have TPMS sensors in my winter tire wheels. "Normal" behavior.
Yeah I figured. I'll try reaching out to the dude who sold me the car and wheels and if I don't have any luck with him, buy TPMS sensors for the winters.

Suggestions on sensors? Did you go aftermarket?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I stopped bothering. I can't remember where I got the few I replaced, but if I replace one, another one dies. What I'd like to die is the SOBs who mandated these stupid things. Painfully and embarrassingly in front of their families. There are so many reasons I wanted to build a car of my own design, but it's getting to the point that the reason that matters most is that it wouldn't have any damn nannies, bloops, beeps, dings, chimes, or other assorted annoying nonsense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped bothering. I can't remember where I got the few I replaced, but if I replace one, another one dies. What I'd like to die is the SOBs who mandated these stupid things. Painfully and embarrassingly in front of their families. There are so many reasons I wanted to build a car of my own design, but it's getting to the point that the reason that matters most is that it wouldn't have any damn nannies, bloops, beeps, dings, chimes, or other assorted annoying nonsense.
There really is nothing worse than getting into a perfectly running, well maintained vehicle and hearing chimes, beeps and seeing the dash light up like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My snows don't have sensors. This is totally normal behavior.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I stopped bothering. I can't remember where I got the few I replaced, but if I replace one, another one dies. What I'd like to die is the SOBs who mandated these stupid things. Painfully and embarrassingly in front of their families.
Heck, blame Ford. My girlfriend bought a Mazda 3 and I discovered that 2014 and newer Mazdas don't use tire pressure sensors. They use the wheel speed sensor to handle all tire pressure monitoring. If a tire is low, the speed of that wheel will increase and it will turn on the tpms light. It's effective and it makes buying wheels and tires much easier/cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck, blame Ford. My girlfriend bought a Mazda 3 and I discovered that 2014 and newer Mazdas don't use tire pressure sensors. They use the wheel speed sensor to handle all tire pressure monitoring. If a tire is low, the speed of that wheel will increase and it will turn on the tpms light. It's effective and it makes buying wheels and tires much easier/cheaper.
If I'm not mistaken, my '15 GTI did this...or something similar.

When I swapped in my winter set, all I had to do was go into the car settings thru the infotainment system and press "reset tire pressure settings"...or something similar, I don't remember the exact verbage. But that was it, never had to deal with sensors.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Try this:

Make sure you are near an airpump if using the method that has you release tire pressure in case you need to add more when done. If this doesnt do anything, then there is a good chance your wheels do not have sensors or they no longer work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought a 16 ST2. I had a GTI before this and the tire pressure system was reset easily in the infotainment system. After reading about how the TPMS sensors work on the Focus, it's quite annoying and I feel like my issues are weird.

I bought the car and it had stock wheels and tires on it. I requested my brand new 225/40/18 all seasons from my GTI be mounted on the stock ST wheels. No TPMS issues.

The day after picking up the car, I put the winter wheels and tires in it. Totally different set that the dealership gave me. They are aftermarket wheels and 235/40/17 Falcon tires. I drove about 20 miles with no TPMS light (wheels were still in the car though, could have been reading sensors on the stock wheels?). Got home, put the wheels in my basement, drove 20 more miles and the light came on. About 8 hours later when I got in my car to go check and fill them with more air, the light was off (no where near my stock wheels). Filled them to 36PSI and drove about 5 miles, TPMS light went on again. Drove about 20 more miles and it was on the whole time, turning the car off a few times in between.

Now this morning, parked in my driveway, I went to go get gas and the light was off again. How? Why? The stock tires aren't near where I park my car...they are on the other side of the house in a basement, probably a couple hundred feet away from the car. I'm not even 100% sure the winter tires have TPMS sensors, I texted the guy who sold me the car to ask but he hasn't gotten back to me. I've seen a bunch of videos on how to reset each tires but I can't get my car into the "learning mode" with the 6 presses of the hazard button, just doesn't work...plus I don't have the remote to reset them.
I went through this hell with my '13 Focus, having summer and winter sets of tires/wheels. I could never get the stupid thing to code. I have an '18 now and it's not been a problem.
I tried 3 diff "programmers" which do nothing more than activate the transmitter, nothing worked. I took it to Ford and they told me "yea nothing was wrong, we just programmed them".
Anyway... after all that frustration, one thought occurred to me. I think the car can only hold a total of 8 sensors in memory. So, if yours have been replaced once before you got it, now you are trying to add 9-12 and you can't because the old originals are still programmed in there, and I don't know how to erase them... which meant a trip to the dealer (it was free).
Again, this is just a theory because I could never get it fixed on my original ST without taking it to the dealer. The thing about drove me nuts. I'd almost rather stab that light out on the dash than deal with the stupid TPMS anyway

·
Registered
193 Posts
GM does it right. Has TP sensors in the stem but they allow you to read actual tire pressure on the dash...in the Spark (cheapest car on the road at one point). Ford finally added this in 2020 and is acting like it's some ultra luxury novel feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts