Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 19x8.5 Focus RS rims on order. I've seen too many stories of problems with aftermarket TPMS sensors so I'm sticking with OE Ford TPMS-12 sensors.

Do they attach directly to the rim or does any other mounting hardware need to be purchased?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
You will have to get new rubber valves which are special rubber valves that "pop" in like normal. But they have a brass nipple on the back end of them that the sensor screws into. So you will need the right rebuild kit.

Top Picture
Auto part

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
So how do they attach? Do they come with fasteners that screw directly to the rim?

I'm trying to avoid going to a tire shop and getting ripped off because I need some "extra" bits to mount the sensors correctly.
They don't mount to the rim. As elyk864 showed in the picture, they screw onto the back of the shrader valve / stem.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
They don't mount to the rim. As elyk864 showed in the picture, they screw onto the back of the shrader valve / stem.
The link he has is the same as OE mounting. Neither one is attached to the rim(The sensor itself). The sensors screw into the back of the valve. Then the valve is "popped" into the valve hole. So with new wheels you will need to get new valves, then attach your sensors to the back of the new valves using a new screw. You do not want to use the same screw as you can run the risk of it coming loose later. They torque down to a specific inch lbs setting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the valve stem holds the assembly into place on the rim and the TPMS sensor is held to the stem with a single screw. Otherwise no other attachment of the TMPS sensor to anything else.

I think I get it now.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
So the valve stem holds the assembly into place on the rim and the TPMS sensor is held to the stem with a single screw. Otherwise no other attachment of the TMPS sensor to anything else.

I think I get it now.
You are correct.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts

I think I get it now.
Click on the link I gave you, it shows a picture of the sensor attached to the bottom of the valve; the ones I linked to come complete and at a very reasonable price. Ford charges more for one than the set I linked.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Great! What is confusing is when you look at the sensors from the end view it appears there are two eyelets where screws would go.......

View attachment 171778
They have nothing to do with fastening them to the wheels. You're good.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I appreciate the collective wisdom here. Too bad you all weren't in my my part of the world. Coffee and donuts for all!
No problem, I work in the tire and wheel industry. I have explained TPMS sensors thousands of times. :big smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts