Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm looking for a towstrap for my car, is anybody running one specifically for the Focus st? Or is the universal way the way to go?

·
Registered
395 Posts
just..... why?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm aware a few people actually track their car. Most people get one for looks and I hate that fad.

If you track your car, by all means get one.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
I'm aware a few people actually track their car. Most people get one for looks and I hate that fad.

If you look at all overseas Focus models they have factory tow hooks. The US models don't. It's not just the bumper cover but the crash bar itself doesn't have it. So people add their own. I plan on adding a strap that I have because there is no spot to pull my car. So if the tow company arrives with a flat bed it is harder for them to load the car without this tow point.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

while only a small percentage of these cars will ever see a track, there is a huge percentage of them that live in climates like that just a few miles from where these cars are built, a place where half the year slippery and slushy crap falls from the sky. this can be fun times when the car gets occasionally stuck. instead of wrapping a rope around what ever metal control arm or what ever you can reach, I would much rather the cars on this side of the pond had the same removable panel and screw in hooks all euro cars have. that being said, some of our cars come with racing stripes, a lot with racing seats, and tons of people have illegal racing downpipes, I can overlook a for-looks-only tow strap or two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one that I mounted to the crash bar. As I do like the looks of it I also got it for function. I live in Wisconsin and drive the car year round, if I ended up needing a tow out of a ditch I didn't wanna wrap a strap around the control arm and have it pulling on the bumper. Haven't had to use it yet though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in MN, and a tow hook will be a MUST have for all season car here. Park your ST and let a foot of snow drop, then hop in and drive(you won't even move if you forget to turn off traction control). Also anyone from these climates has been pull or towed before, and you understand without a hook you are looking at an 80% chance of a ****ed up front bumper. I work at a metal shop and plan on fab'n up my own before this winter. I don't like the strap look compared to a full metal race looking hook. I understand i my ST my never see a track, but its for function and might as well go for looks too. Call me a tool if you want lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
The first generation Mazda3 (maybe the second?) had a screw-in tow hook and they shared a platform. Perhaps their crash bar can swap in? Alternatively, the crash bar could be drilled and tapped (or threaded insert added) to take the Mazda tow hook (not sure what other cars would work, but the Mazda one seems like it would be plenty long enough).

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Has any one with the toe strap added used it yet? Does it hold and able to take a good pulling from a ditch/snowbank/gravel pit?

Are they abled to be tucked in more so its less noticeable? I would think a black strap in a black grill would help. I want one for practical reasons but dont want to have it shown. Would love the screw in kind like factory bmw's have but that seems like a bit more effort

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe the lawsuit-happy nature of our market? In addition to having two hook locations in Europe, they also have our cars rated to tow 1000 lbs versus 0 here.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Maybe the lawsuit-happy nature of our market? In addition to having two hook locations in Europe, they also have our cars rated to tow 1000 lbs versus 0 here.
Our toes can absolutely tow - pretty well too :cool:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I have one that I mounted to the crash bar. As I do like the looks of it I also got it for function. I live in Wisconsin and drive the car year round, if I ended up needing a tow out of a ditch I didn't wanna wrap a strap around the control arm and have it pulling on the bumper. Haven't had to use it yet though.

That's a lot of bird poop (last picture)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts