Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this unit?
https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Style-Aluminum-Tow-Impreza/dp/B00XAU6ML8/ref=pd_sbs_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00XAU6ML8&pd_rd_r=8EY2SS7TR4FG2HFXCDEP&pd_rd_w=ZG0ik&pd_rd_wg=pV0sK&psc=1&refRID=8EY2SS7TR4FG2HFXCDEP

I realize that we do not have anything to thread it into. But I have not pulled my front clip/bumper yet, so do not know how much of an extension I would need to get close to the beam behind the bumper.
I am thinking of using a Unistrut angle 90, bolting it in place for the initial fitting, and once I have it fit up, I would weld a nut to the crash beam so that it could be removed as needed.
I also realize that I could/should just go outside to me car to get an idea of the gap from the crash bar to the front of the grill where I plan to have the tow ring installed, but I am wondering if anyone has done this and has a relatively easy solution?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I read that one.
There are 2 issues... One is its a strap, and cannot be removed. And two, straps can and will break... Take a flatbed truck for example. So straps really are more for the looks.
I was hoping to get an idea as to how far back the crash bar is from the grill... In essentially the same spot on the car as those straps in the other thread.
I know at the Octane Academy, they have rings, but I did not get a good look at how they mounted them... I only know that the ST in the museum requires a hole in the bumper cover, vs the grill.

CrashMW

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nope not yet but I am waiting on my Mishimoto FMIC before pulling the bumper off. At which point I will have a better idea what I will need to do..

CrashMW
You can see what I did in my build thread and it was based off some others before me. Ugly welds and in fact I just hacked off the front one as I'm going back to stock to be able to sell it. If I was doing the rear again, I would mount it off center to lineup with the actual attachment point so it's stronger. I saw someone with same setup post a pic of his car after being pulled up onto a flatbed and it worked but bumper was bent outward fairly bad. I did get to use my front hook 1 time after I spun just off track in the rain and with the wet grass/mud couldn't get going again. It barely took a tiny tug to get me going though.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/48131-danmad32-s-daily-driver-track-day-machine-build-2.html

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-racing-forum/1574-tow-hooks-3.html

If you want the grill that already has a hole in it and was sanded back I have it off the car now and would sell it pretty cheap. I did break off a small piece around the edge getting it out though. A new grill is $250 btw :(

Reactions: NorCal

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Yes, quite a few of us. It's a solid piece, but does take some work to do and do right. e.g. bumper needs to come off, proper drill bits being used and procedure to drilling into hardened steel
Yea I haven't had to drill into the crash bar yet for anything, but down for the research well ahead of when I need to do it. Any install pics? Seems like the grille plate isn't needed, can have it line up through 1-2 of the hexa-holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts