Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 weeks ago I drop my ST off at a local shop to have two things done. 1) Quaife LSD installed. 2) Have my turbo swapped for a bigger one.

I had already installed the rest of my mods and while I had planned on doing the turbo myself I figured if they're going to need to take the transmission out for the LSD it would take no time for them to swap the turbo. Also with them doing the turbo they were/did a recirculation setup instead of having the BOV vent to the atmosphere so it behaves like stock (but with more power). Should be a simple 2 week job at the end of which I'd bring the car out to Torrie with Unleashed Tuning because he's not far from me (1.5 hours).

That didn't turn out so well as the shop had the car for 7 weeks. I should also add that for the past few weeks I've been talking to him about getting the car out to him because every week was, "I'll have it to you on Saturday... No never mind the shop needs another week." Torrie was very patient and was even willing to let me drop off an pickup on the weekend or at night due to me having to work during the day.

I ended up getting the car back and found out that the windshield wipers weren't aligned properly. They would overlap when going down and up they'd go off the side of the car. I took care of that and drove out to Torrie. On my way I found that the headlights didn't work... As I'm on a 1.5 hour drive after work with it getting dark. The car also didn't want to shift nicely (reverse was nearly impossible). At this point there isn't anything I can do I'm closer to Torrie than I am to home.

I get it out to him on a Friday night. He looks at the headlight and can't see a reason why they aren't working. He drives it and says the clutch needs to be bleed. Great, I think more **** I need to worry about. Anyway Torrie has the car now and road tested it on Sat and Sun. Tuesday he got it on a Dyno and finished the tune. Wednesday he took my ST to his local Ford Dealership; had the headlights fixes and had the clutch bleed (that fixed the issue). I picked the card up today (Wednesday after work).

We had discussed how long he would need the car for (I really couldn't deal with another nearly 2 months job because my wife was not happy at this point) and he said he'd need it for about a week (7is days give or take). So I dropped it off on Friday he had it Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, so 4 days. Having extra time he decided to get my car fixed for me and still got it back to me in less than 7 days.

I was planning on taking the car to my local dealership because I didn't want to worry about the shop that did the original work taking many weeks to do what should have been a quick job. He went above and beyond. Even though it wasn't anything to do with him and I was paying him for tuning the car only he took care of it anyway. How does this? I've read on this forum people saying his customer service is great but damn, it's amazing.

No to mention he gave me daily updates of his progress as he was turning the car. Even something as simple as it's raining today and has been all day so I couldn't do much of anything with the car.

Oh and that doesn't even take into account the tune. It's perfect.

I couldn't be happier with Torrie or the work he did. It was a happy ending to a build that wasn't going.

Dyno chart:

JS1.jpg

My mods for the turbo:

* ATP GT2860RS (.64 housing)
* CP-E intercooler
* Ford Racing intake snorkel
* Quaife LSD
* MBRP Catted downpipe
* Spec Stage 2 non-SAC clutch
* Spec lightweight flywheel

So, in summary, Torrie:
1) Willing to work around my schedule and even allow me to drop/pickup night and weekends.
2) Fixed issues that weren't created by him or even in scope for what he was doing for me.
3) Gave me daily updates on his progress.
4) Got the job one in the time frame discussed.
5) Did a great job with the tune.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
His BT tune is very nice.
I'm curious on your thoughts on the clutch and LSD.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thank you for the kind words John. He put together a very comprehensive package of upgrades that in the end made the car really fun to drive and as he put it the way it "should have been from the factory". I tune a lot of cars daily and rarely ever get seat time anymore given how I work most days. But this was a lot of fun for me and going back to a stock turbo ST will never be the same.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious on your thoughts on the clutch and LSD.
I would recommend both if going big turbo. You can go with either or both but they do make a difference. Without the big turbo the clutch is unnecessary and I don't think the LSD is worth the cost.

The clutch it is very similar to stock. I wouldn't say it's any heavier. It's definitely rougher but not by much. From a comfort standpoint it's not enough to really notice day to day.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I would recommend both if going big turbo. You can go with either or both but they do make a difference. Without the big turbo the clutch is unnecessary and I don't think the LSD is worth the cost.

The clutch it is very similar to stock. I wouldn't say it's any heavier. It's definitely rougher but not by much. From a comfort standpoint it's not enough to really notice day to day.
Yeah I already have Torrie's tune on my big turbo. Clutch started slipping and since I'm doing the clutch, may as well do the LSD.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clutch started slipping and since I'm doing the clutch...
Make sure you the the appropriate clutch for your hp (keep future hp plans in mind too). I went with the stage2 non-SAC which is fine for the power I'm putting down. So, make sure you pick the clutch that can handle what you want to throw at it now and in the future. You don't want to get too small or too large (power capability) of a clutch and go through this again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts