Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, before I get slammed for asking this question, when I discovered this problem the road I travel on and conditions are very safe for going this fast. 4 lane divided highway with little to know traffic and intersection free stretches.

Ok, so working on my xtra fuel kit big turbo tune and wanted to see how fast she'd go. Got to right at 150 and boost pressure drops to 13-14 psi and she won't go any faster. Sitting around 5800 rpm. From my tuner:

"Thanks for the info. I’m suspecting some sort of bug with COBB’s software as Torque Source (Enum) is showing that it’s at 3 when the issue occurs. When it’s at 3 it means a speed limit is being hit, however in our tune the speed limit is set at 186 mph so this shouldn’t be happening"

So, just couldn't help but think I can't be the only one to have gone this fast, that Cobb wouldn't have been made aware.

Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Contact Cobb, tell them you're running the Silver State Challenge and need to open it up and this is holding you back. :lol:

Reactions: jplst

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stock tune... goes over 150MPH Not sure what the problem is because there isn't a software limit I know of
Have you been over 150? Just looking to see if anyone has definitive verification. The Tuner is contacting Cobb to figure it out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact Cobb, tell them you're running the Silver State Challenge and need to open it up and this is holding you back.
Right?! Lol. I'm out here in whitesands and this damn tune is preventing me from settin some records!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Have you been over 150? Just looking to see if anyone has definitive verification. The Tuner is contacting Cobb to figure it out.

yeah, 158 is factory rated. pretty sure either road and track or MotorTrend got it to 156.

I don't understand how your tuner would have put a block on it. I am on stock tune and stage 3 bolt-ons. I know a many people running Stage 3 Stratified tune and all the supporting mods and many more and have gone well above 155.

I think you might be underestimating what it takes to overcome that next single MPH at those speeds. you have a lot of forces working against you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's very obvious it's a limitation of some sort. My custom tune is a Stratified tune, as mentioned they are going to contact Cobb. The boost dropping to 13 psi limits the speed at 5800 rpm. It's obvious the car is capable if going to redline if the boost pressure maintained peak pressure.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Well they listed it as a 2014 model, so surely not an RS? Go make facebook friends with them and then ask what mods were done :)

for science!

edit...more google:
168.3 MPH at Mojave Magnum this past Weekend (1.5 mile course)

Probably an RS then... sorry, false alarm! I didnt even catch the paint color when i posted
not sure... seems like they messed up the year and meant 16 not 14?

either way it is impressive to go over 160... on that sheet there are plenty of STs 4 i think

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
not sure... seems like they messed up the year and meant 16 not 14?

either way it is impressive to go over 160... on that sheet there are plenty of STs 4 i think
The body style and power output should be similar enough to a big turbo ST that those speeds are reasonable for us. They said they didnt prep the body other than collapse the side mirrors. they also have a larger spoiler, so althugh it helps with down force, it wont help top speed runs. It'd be much fun to get in a top speed event like the .5mile through 1.5 mile runs

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The body style and power output should be similar enough to a big turbo ST that those speeds are reasonable for us. They said they didnt prep the body other than collapse the side mirrors. they also have a larger spoiler, so althugh it helps with down force, it wont help top speed runs. It'd be much fun to get in a top speed event like the .5mile through 1.5 mile runs
I would love to do a mile event. would be really fun to see how the car can stretch and no worry about doing it on public roads.

That said I have seen the RS stock vs Stage 3 ST with a strong tune and few other mods... the RS wasn't impressive. the hung together really well. A true BT ST should leave a stock RS in a mile run, less weight and front wheel drive should benefit the ST.

I am not sold on the RS being this "amazing hot hatch" I think Ford really missed the mark on a lot of items. stock for stock of course the RS is a much better car but you have to at least get a tune to make it as fast as a stage3 ST and then mod it further to keep up with a BT ST, again just from my experience, a bit of it could be driver but not all of it.

Oh and I wanted to add that aero mods play such a HUGE factor to the car at those speeds. even just lowering the car an inch will help... A LOT!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hit 165mph with mine, Autobahn Germany
What turbo do you have? It must be pretty damn big because our car is DRAG limited so it aerodynamically won't do over 155 in most conditions. You need to make serious power to push it past the wind resistance any higher than that. If the air is denser you might only get 150 or like some have said 156-157 has been seen. But you need a BIG turbo and engine work to get past 160. It's physically impossible without body work being done.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What turbo do you have? It must be pretty damn big because our car is DRAG limited so it aerodynamically won't do over 155 in most conditions. You need to make serious power to push it past the wind resistance any higher than that. If the air is denser you might only get 150 or like some have said 156-157 has been seen. But you need a BIG turbo and engine work to get past 160. It's physically impossible without body work being done.
2867. As soon as I'm done with the custom tune from the xtra fuel kit I'm gonna put it on a dyno, but virtual dyno has my at 385. Keeping in mind the Speedo error I'm sure it'll surpass 155 based on progress through 6th gear until it falls on it's face when the boost drops. Idk, if Stratified is right and it's a Cobb limitation, whenever they address and fix it, we'll see how fast it'll go. As far as aero is concerned my car is lowered about an 1.5 inches, so that'll help a little.

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
2867. As soon as I'm done with the custom tune from the xtra fuel kit I'm gonna put it on a dyno, but virtual dyno has my at 385. Keeping in mind the Speedo error I'm sure it'll surpass 155 based on progress through 6th gear until it falls on it's face when the boost drops. Idk, if Stratified is right and it's a Cobb limitation, whenever they address and fix it, we'll see how fast it'll go. As far as aero is concerned my car is lowered about an 1.5 inches, so that'll help a little.

I was asking the guy who did 165 what turbo HE had, but if YOU have a 2867 then yeah something is certainly up because you have a top speed lower than what I could reach stock lol

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

I want to know what the end result is because I just have not heard of this before and I know a lot of people with tunes, BT, stage X this and that.

Boost leak?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts