Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m researching to buy a Focus ST when I get back from deployment. I’ve been looking for them all over the US via Cargurus, Autotrader, Edmunds, and Carfax. I definitely want an ST 2 or 3, between 2016-2018, and I prefer Kona Blue (although I know they’re not available in 2018).

I found a 2018 ST3 in Metallic Grey (my second preferred color) with about 26,000 miles on it for literally $17,000. I think 26,000 miles is a bit much for a car with that year on it, but it’s not the end of the world. Kelly Blue Book says that car should be at most, $23,000. So, why is it so low? According to vincheck.info, there seems to be no apparent problem with the car: salvage, wreck, theft, etc.

Other things I’ve tried to consider about the price. The car is being sold at a “non-big-name dealership” (Ford, Toyota,etc) rather, it looks like a small dealership. I looked at that dealership’s current inventory. They have a lot Mercedes, BMW’s, Porsches, and Audi’s. In the past, they’ve had Focus and Fiesta ST’s, all of which have been sold, but it won’t show when and for how much.

I do plan on contacting the dealership and inquiring about the vehicle.

In conclusion, is the vehicle too good to be true based on everything I have mentioned? If not, I’d really love to get this one because it’s hard to find a 2018 ST3 for that low of a price. If I could get it, hopefully I could put some kind of down payment so that they’d hold it for me until I get back (I’ll be back soon).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mods and location would drop the price beyond mere mileage. Interior wear & tear. Missing underbody panels. Did it go through one of the floods in the Midwest?

If they bought it cheap due to repossession or, say, tax seizure, then they'll realize a handsome profit even at this discounted price, so they're going to try to price it to move quickly rather than try to extend their profit margin.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Could just be the "high mileage" discount. Check it out thoroughly and cash in on that outdated mileage nonsense that pervades the market. That kind of mileage is very likely to be mostly highway, which is better than a car with low miles used for short trips (especially if they were 1/4 mile trips), even better where that low mileage one would command a premium. These aren't pointless Ferraris traded by speculator parasites that are rolled on dollies from one showroom to the next and I would take a guess that the owner traded the ST for something that is more comfortable for a long daily commute/gets better mileage. I drive high miles and my cars are always exceptionally reliable compared to what most people seem to report of theirs and I NEVER do services—I fix something only when it's worn out or bad or if I'm doing one high-labor job where it makes sense to replace another cheap part that would repeat that labor later were it to fail (like, a water pump when doing a timing belt). My 2016 has a little under 120k and its sum total of maintenance beyond oil and tires is the $50 purge valve and a set of spark plugs. At 26k, the one you're looking at still has about half the warranty. As for mileage, I'm averaging maybe a little over 30 mpg lifetime and it's consistent enough that I can usually guess pretty accurately what it got out of a tank by the kind of driving I did (single lowest was about 24, a couple highs at about 34, usually right around 30).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mods and location would drop the price beyond mere mileage. Interior wear & tear. Missing underbody panels. Did it go through one of the floods in the Midwest?

If they bought it cheap due to repossession or, say, tax seizure, then they'll realize a handsome profit even at this discounted price, so they're going to try to price it to move quickly rather than try to extend their profit margin.
As far as I can tell, it looks like only mudflaps and an Flowmaster exhaust were added to it. I do not know if it was in a Midwest flood, but it is being sold in california. Inside looks immaculate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts