Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into this or know of any cons?

Around here in Australia you can get 20 litres of the stuff pretty cheap and would be a great way to get some more power on the bigger turbo without needing Aux and as a sometimes mix. Race gas is just too expensive here and you are looking at around $700 for a tank. I will most likely end up going aux fuel and E85 later this year but for every now and again it's hard to ignore Toluene.

Any experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

Around here in Australia you can get 20 litres of the stuff pretty cheap and would be a great way to get some more power on the bigger turbo without needing Aux and as a sometimes mix. Race gas is just too expensive here and you are looking at around $700 for a tank. I will most likely end up going aux fuel and E85 later this year but for every now and again it's hard to ignore Toluene.

Yeah Xylene, Toluene and Denatured Alcohol. Even Methanol in my girls Mini

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/16436-using-xylene-octane-booster.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/other-builds/109961-e30-vs-m30-just-because-we-can.html

·
Registered
394 Posts

All I know is that it’s a great octane booster and they used it in F1 cars in the 70’s I think until it was banned. I’ve thought of using it myself but how would you know how much is enough? Maybe there’s more info out there on that idk, but with the price of race gas and octane boosters it’s prob worth looking into. I’ve also heard that those octane boosters are primarily Toluene too but I’ve never checked into it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ran it on my boosted SVT years back. IIRC it's around 115oct, you just need to use an online calculator and find the ratio to your pump has to get where you want it to be.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have just seen it for super cheap around here and read about it giving great results.
I know I will need to tune for it to see any gains, I am also uncertain as to the effects on our fuel system. I am not sure how our hoses will handle it and if it will have any adverse effects.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I have just seen it for super cheap around here and read about it giving great results.
I know I will need to tune for it to see any gains, I am also uncertain as to the effects on our fuel system. I am not sure how our hoses will handle it and if it will have any adverse effects.
You'll be good. I ran a gallon or two for months and had no issues. I started using MMO in the beginning then stopped

·
Registered
394 Posts
So I did a little research on this and found that there’s a ton of info on the subject. Toluene is the major ingredient of canned octane boosters along with Xylene and MTBE. Toluene has a octane rating of 114 R+M/2, Xylene is 117 octane R+M/2. I also found a chart showing how much to add.

92 Oct pump gas mixed with 10% Toluene = 94.2 Oct, 20% = 96.4, 30% = 98.6
92 Oct pump gas mixed with 10% Xylene = 94.5 Oct, 20% = 97.0, 30% = 99.5

It sounds like a better option than the canned boosters. You can get Toluene or Xylene at the hardware store for $3 a gallon vs $3-5 for the 16oz bottles of octane booster. It’s worth checking into imo.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just know that it's a commonly used item in meth production, or so I was told by the paint store. I was buying 5 gal canisters and they told me it's semi monitored depending on where you buy and how much. I was hitting up Sherwin Williams for the bigger containers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Be careful handling it. It is a major carcinogen, bad for your liver, can be absorbed through your skin. Way back I used an octane booster made by Moroso, the container was peppered with warnings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts