Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any helpful information about my specific issue, so here it goes.

Recently, when it got cold here in MO (sub 30°F) I noticed a "tok" sound whenever I move from a stop, or give it throttle at all in 1st or 2nd gears, that includes after shifting into 2nd and /then/ giving it throttle. It's only in those gears and only when giving it throttle. You can replicate it easily. It's coming from the front of the car, and it's audible from inside and outside of the car.

Suggestions I've gotten are either rear motor mount or the infamous exhaust hanger bushing. I just installed the e focus RMM a few months ago so it's fresh, and the bushing checked out okay, so I'm out of ideas.

Sent from Harambe in heaven, amen.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I am thinking I have the same issue, took it to the dealer and they claim they couldn't replicate and sent me away. Told me to come back when it is "constant". Though it does only do it when it is cold, does it for about half my morning drive and then the "whatever it is" warms up and the noise goes away.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
I can't seem to find any helpful information about my specific issue, so here it goes.

Recently, when it got cold here in MO (sub 30°F) I noticed a "tok" sound whenever I move from a stop, or give it throttle at all in 1st or 2nd gears, that includes after shifting into 2nd and /then/ giving it throttle. It's only in those gears and only when giving it throttle. You can replicate it easily. It's coming from the front of the car, and it's audible from inside and outside of the car.

Suggestions I've gotten are either rear motor mount or the infamous exhaust hanger bushing. I just installed the e focus RMM a few months ago so it's fresh, and the bushing checked out okay, so I'm out of ideas.

Put a technician in your car and replicate it. Then if they agree to "fix" it, it will seem constant unless they let the car warm up the whole way. Probably something dumb and not an issue, just a nuisance.

-Harambe

·
Registered
660 Posts
Put a technician in your car and replicate it. Then if they agree to "fix" it, it will seem constant unless they let the car warm up the whole way. Probably something dumb and not an issue, just a nuisance.

-Harambe
I liked this for Harambe!

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Like the bottom of the airbox? Am I reading this right? This is a thing? Lol.

Yeah, I had that issue with my 2013 ST the 1st winter after I bought it. It only did that after being parked outside in the freezing temps. Took it to the dealer. They had hard time figuring out what was causing it. Then, as I was told the tech was able to reproduce the sound by pushing on the airbox (it was stock back then). They put bunch of thick grease on/around its rubber mounts and the knocking went away. IIRC some other folks on the forum had the same issue. Can't guarantee you got the same issue, but worth checking.

·
Registered
490 Posts
+1 on airbox mounts. I just cut a piece of fabric to slip over the ball mount on the airbox. Problem solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts