Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after ~7k miles on the tires, and 44 hard laps on Streets of Willow, I still have 5/32nd tread.

The Eagles were so well composed on the track, even on a cool day (17°C) with a single warm up lap they were up to temp quickly. They are incredibly responsive, the stiff sidewalls really give you imediate and precise control. The tires were very predictable in even adverse off camber turns, and communicate well through the steering and audio ques as to how close to the limit you are.

Going to run am a little bit on the street again before I switch over to my A/S for the winter. See if I can smooth em back out again, maybe get another track day out of them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you tried the likes of PSS? I found the eagle F1's to be pretty average compared to the PSS. I tried the AD08R as well and that was immense but wore out too quickly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tired the PSS on the ST yet, I have had them on my Sunbeam, (also had some Yokohamas which were AMAZING, but that is another story)

This topic is not about saying that the F1s are better than the PSS, it is only that people say it is a bad tire, when it really isn't, running them at a Cold 28psi on the track, they were damn near perfect, I did not once feel like they were the part holding be back, only my courage was holding be me back, as I did not want to hurt the DD.

·
Administrator
11,806 Posts
So, after ~7k miles on the tires, and 44 hard laps on Streets of Willow, I still have 5/32nd tread.

The Eagles were so well composed on the track, even on a cool day (17°C) with a single warm up lap they were up to temp quickly. They are incredibly responsive, the stiff sidewalls really give you imediate and precise control. The tires were very predictable in even adverse off camber turns, and communicate well through the steering and audio ques as to how close to the limit you are.

Going to run am a little bit on the street again before I switch over to my A/S for the winter. See if I can smooth em back out again, maybe get another track day out of them.

Have you tried the likes of PSS? I found the eagle F1's to be pretty average compared to the PSS. I tried the AD08R as well and that was immense but wore out too quickly.
I really prefer the feedback and stiffer sidewall of the F1 over my current MPSS. The MPSS are soupy and less responsive. They do perform in every other aspect superior. Especially in usable temperature range.

When it comes to handling though, the F1 is firmer and more precise.

So yeah, people hate on the F1, I still like them. Especially when we can get them so cheap off of ST's, lol.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I didn't hate my F1's. It was just that they and the PSS's had pretty bad wheel hop. Not so with almost any AS tire. I just miss that "on rails" summer tire feel.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A lot of the negative comments I have seen in regards to the F1's were from those that were only concerned about mad dig, or roll racing/straight line racing traction, which these tires obviously aren't about.

Reactions: MBRB15 and SiThlord

·
Registered
593 Posts
I really prefer the feedback and stiffer sidewall of the F1 over my current MPSS. The MPSS are soupy and less responsive. They do perform in every other aspect superior. Especially in usable temperature range.

So yeah, people hate on the F1, I still like them. Especially when we can get them so cheap off of ST's, lol.
I totally agree. I was driving my brother's RS with the MPSS then immediately drove my ST on PS4S and it felt stiffer coming into turns hard, much like the F1s.

It's hard to really do side-by-side comparisons, but even my brother agrees. I think something about the steel inside the tire reaches further making the sidewall stiffer or something. Don't quote me on that lol. I loved the F1s for all sorts of turning and grip.

·
Administrator
11,806 Posts
I love that you are in love with a tire but have nothing to compare it to... this is why I have a hard time believing any online reviews (tirerack.com) because "some guy" bought a set of tires and all the sudden they are the best tires to hit the pavement.
I agree that direct first hand comparison cannot be beat. I'm not a huge fan of third party information.

MPSS do perform amazing, in all sorts of conditions, but the F1 takes the cake for handling (only in it's narrow operating temp range, lol)

The bulk of the information I provide on here, is real deal, I had it in my hands, type experience. Which is the kind I like to receive in kind.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Agreed, the F1's are more responsive, I just couldn't appreciate the lack of traction when compared to others. Of course everyone has different goals, for me roll racing is more important and common here but at the same time the MPSS's do more than well in the twisty's.

·
Administrator
11,806 Posts
Agreed, the F1's are more responsive, I just couldn't appreciate the lack of traction when compared to others. Of course everyone has different goals, for me roll racing is more important and common here but at the same time the MPSS's do more than well in the twisty's.
Don't get me wrong, I'm never going back to F1's as my daily tire.

I went to a LSD and 255 wide MPSS for traction. Which hardly helps with all the torque my car puts down apparently. I just spin both tires and lose steering input now, lmao!

Im probably going to go 265, or wider for the next set of rims and MPSS. For all teh tractions...

Reactions: bman13235

·
Registered
101 Posts
The F1s arent terrible for traction as long as they dont get too warm. My biggest gripe is the noise. They sound like offroad tires on pavement. Im buying tires and wheels in the next couple weeks and I have to decide on PS4S or Conti Extreme Contact Sports in 245/40 18s.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im buying tires and wheels in the next couple weeks and I have to decide on PS4S or Conti Extreme Contact Sports in 245/40 18s.
I've had great results with the Conti Contact line in the past, it is on my list for consideration once the Eagles are under 2/32.

Right now my Pirrelis P-Zeros are back on for the cooler/wetter months.

I'm looking into Yokohamas offerings in our size also. I know the PSS is an excellent tire, but I'm likely going to stray from the tried and true path when I execute the Eagles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i recently put a set of 245 dunlop direzza dz-102's on my car. i only had them on a couple weeks before i put my all seasons back on, so i cant really comment too much on how they are. im anxious to put them back on when it gets warm out again. i will say that even going to 245's, im surprised how much i still spun 2nd gear from a roll. i thought they would have a bit more traction, but it was starting to get colder out so im sure that had a big part to play.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sparco Assetto Garas and 235/40 Conti Extreme Contact Sports have been on 4 days now. Wow, night and day difference. More lateral grip than F1s and the sidewalls seem to be as stiff and they dont have that ugly rim protector bulge on the sides.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've had great results with the Conti Contact line in the past, it is on my list for consideration once the Eagles are under 2/32.

Right now my Pirrelis P-Zeros are back on for the cooler/wetter months.

I'm looking into Yokohamas offerings in our size also. I know the PSS is an excellent tire, but I'm likely going to stray from the tried and true path when I execute the Eagles.
I'm doing exactly what you do... F1s in the summer, P Zeros in the winter. Basically making the best of a bad situation (getting stuck with an ST that came with the all seasons).

I like it.

I snagged a set of snowflakes with tpms and F1s that had 7/32nds left for $450. Drove those hard all summer, still have about 5/32nds, but I managed to grab a new set of takeoff F1s for $175 (for all 4) that I'll put on next spring.

So cheap.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
I got 30k miles out of my original F1's. Thats that same mileage I got with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Got to buy new runner for the 19's this summer. Dont know what I will get.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I love my f1’s. Use them as rain tires for race car and they are great for track driving until they get real greasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Firestone Firehawk 500's (new version) are really nice, and super quiet. I may throw these on when my F1's are done.
They get amazing ratings on TireRack...........I was stunned. Far better than a lot of ultra summer tire performance ratings. My next summer tire I have down to So3's or these Firehawks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts