Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a muffler delete on my 14 focus st and it sounds ok. Very quiet still which sucks. Not sure if deleting the res will be too much or if I can install a more performance resinator that will make it louder but not horrible. Also I need opinions on an intake lol. I’m trying to find one that you can hear a lot more turbo sounds through the intake without a bov thansk in advance

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
So I have a muffler delete on my 14 focus st and it sounds ok. Very quiet still which sucks. Not sure if deleting the res will be too much or if I can install a more performance resinator that will make it louder but not horrible. Also I need opinions on an intake lol. I’m trying to find one that you can hear a lot more turbo sounds through the intake without a bov thansk in advance

With any intake you put on you're going to get bpv noise with the turbo noise. I'm running the Depo intake tube with a open-ended green filter and an RS airbox lid. I get lots of whistle noises. I also happened 50/50 blow off valve. Cuz I like the whoosh to lol. If you don't have emissions where you are throw down pipe on it if all you want is for it to be louder. Then all you need is a filter and a fmic and your stage 3. Downpipe definitely steps up the volume. However the aftermarket downpipes don't bolt up well to two and a half inch exhaust. so I welded a 3-inch flange in a two and a half inch flange together you made a chamfer used it as a adapter between the downpipe and the exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 3 inch Milltek exhaust with a muffler and its slightly deep and quiet and love the sound. But to each thier own. Hope you find something that makes you happy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I like how you did that. And so for an intake I can just buy a tube from turbo to the filter then get a green filter? Essentially. Currently I took the top of the air box off so I atleast have some sort of noise lol
With any intake you put on you're going to get bpv noise with the turbo noise. I'm running the Depo intake tube with a open-ended green filter and an RS airbox lid. I get lots of whistle noises. I also happened 50/50 blow off valve. Cuz I like the whoosh to lol. If you don't have emissions where you are throw down pipe on it if all you want is for it to be louder. Then all you need is a filter and a fmic and your stage 3. Downpipe definitely steps up the volume. However the aftermarket downpipes don't bolt up well to two and a half inch exhaust. so I welded a 3-inch flange in a two and a half inch flange together you made a chamfer used it as a adapter between the downpipe and the exhaust. View attachment 373709

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it helps, here is what my exhaust setup was like on my ST.

Depot Racing Catless DP - 3" Piping
Flowmaster Outlaw Series Exhaust
Flowmaster Outlaw Series Muffler
No Resonators - No cats of any kind

The car was loud... and I mean loud. Like didn't want to start it in the morning if it was too early loud. Annoying loud. It sounded good, and the turbo whistle was really noticeable, but it was absurdly loud. If you are going with 3" piping I would highly recommend a resonator and muffler - if you have a catless DP. If you have a catted DP you could get away with just a muffler.

It also really depends on what piping you use. If you have 2.5", which is MORE than enough... even for BT, than you could prob get away with just a muffler. If you want 3" piping, the car is going to drone like a MF. I don't care what people say about how their car doesn't drone... it does, and after about 10 mins of driving you get sick of it. I would highly recommend a resonator if you do 3" piping.

For me, straight piping would just be obnoxious. You are gaining nothing and if it's a daily driver it just becomes annoying. Finding a good balance between quiet on cold start & idle, and loud while WOT is the perfect combination. You'll prob find those results best at a local custom exhaust shop... and it will be cheaper than the off-the-shelf BS.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Interesting. I like how you did that. And so for an intake I can just buy a tube from turbo to the filter then get a green filter? Essentially. Currently I took the top of the air box off so I atleast have some sort of noise lol

Yes you'll get more noise from the turbo and bypass valve with an intake tube. Although that's all you gain with an intake there's no performance gain just noise the filter is really all you need. It is generally cheaper to buy a kit such as the depo which includes a pipe coupler from the turbo to the pipe and a coupler from the pipe to your map sensor/ airbox. There are a few on eBay for like 20 bucks cheaper. But I wentwith Depo since it's known to fit with no issues.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Yes you'll get more noise from the turbo and bypass valve with an intake tube. Although that's all you gain with an intake there's no performance gain just noise the filter is really all you need. It is generally cheaper to buy a kit such as the depo which includes a pipe coupler from the turbo to the pipe and a coupler from the pipe to your map sensor/ airbox. There are a few on eBay for like 20 bucks cheaper. But I wentwith Depo since it's known to fit with no issues.

I'm running a Depot 100 cell catted downpipe ( It knocks down the exhaust smell coming out of the tailpipe slightly ). And a CNT V2 Cat-Back exhaust. It's 2.5 304 stainless dual resonator. And it's only about four hundred bucks when It's in stock. With the stock downpipe it sounded good with no drone on the highway and bolted right up. However with a downpipe there is a slight drone when cruising at almost any speed. But it's not too bad. And I think when I sound deaden the rear it'll knock it down a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah right not I have the muffler deleted and it’s too quiet the rest is stock. I feel like if I take the res off it’ll be too loud tho

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
well, muffler/res delete does not equal straight piped. Straight piped is from the turbo back (or if n/a, from the motor back) with no restrictions and same size piping. Stock dp with stock exhaust with res/muffler deletes will be loud but not unbearable, it also wont sound very nice. It all depends with what you want to live with, you should be able to find videos of muffler/res delete on youtube and see if thats a sound you want.

A complete exhaust from a known company will almost always sound better than just hacking up a stock exhuast to remove mufflers/resonators, as they at least put some thought into the muffler and resonators they chose for the system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve always loved the sound of the muffler and res deletes on the st I’m not a huge fan of the premade exhausts thank you all for the inputs it has helped a lot. I gotta get a green filter and try that out for sure

·
Registered
2014 ST1
191 Posts
I have a mbrp catless downpipe, custom 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust to the factory muffler that has been cut open, gutted and rewelded with 4 inch tips. My car is loud at WOT, but no other time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i deleted resonator and muffler on mjne and it sounds sick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts