Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the strip last night. [email protected] Only able to make 1 pass due to rain.
My setup includes Toyo R888 up front(rest is in my signature)
I launched using LC at 3,000. It didn't launch too bad, but knocked and banged like crazy. Even into 2nd it knocked and banged like I had a factory RMM. I actually just installed a CPE Stage 2 RMM so getting wheel hop and the noise was a little crazy.

Is there a trick to launching these things on sticky tires? I would label these as closer to a drag radial than a street tire.
Thanks for any help. Don't want to repeat that again. Want to learn. I hear a lot of guys go right to slicks, but wanted to keep factory wheels.
Thanks again!

·
1,976 Posts
What was your 60 foot time? That alone will tell you if you're launching decent, etc. Toyo R888 tires are more designed for road course/auto cross setups, so moving over to a real drag radial or slicks will do wonders as well. Like others have mentioned, all three mounts need to be swapped and then seat time and trying out different things to figure out what works the best for your setup.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I don't get much wheel hop or bang at all and all I have is a RMM and Michelin PSSs. Does it get worse with stickier tires?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The culprit is your tires. R888 are specifically designed for the road course. They have a very stiff sidewall to prevent deflection and do its best to maintain alignment settings. Get a specific drag radial, like the Nitto's and I bet you'll hook better and get rid of some of that clanking.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was your 60 foot time? That alone will tell you if you're launching decent, etc. Toyo R888 tires are more designed for road course/auto cross setups, so moving over to a real drag radial or slicks will do wonders as well. Like others have mentioned, all three mounts need to be swapped and then seat time and trying out different things to figure out what works the best for your setup.
2.218 60'
[email protected] - 1/8
[email protected] - 1/4

So the R888 might be good for sticky on street, but not at a track where you need a softer sidewall?? What is a good drag radial then? Not sure I'm ready to move over 100% to a slick. I guess I'm saying I would get more use out of a radial that I could use on the street. I've always heard great things in other forums about R888 so that's why I went that way. I've seen and heard others get a 16" wheel and a slick. I'll see how it works for @Stealth since he has a similar setup as me.

Thanks everyone for your input! I know seat time will help! If I could get down the track more than once every trip that would be nice!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
2.218 60'
[email protected] - 1/8
[email protected] - 1/4

So the R888 might be good for sticky on street, but not at a track where you need a softer sidewall?? What is a good drag radial then? Not sure I'm ready to move over 100% to a slick. I guess I'm saying I would get more use out of a radial that I could use on the street. I've always heard great things in other forums about R888 so that's why I went that way. I've seen and heard others get a 16" wheel and a slick. I'll see how it works for @Stealth since he has a similar setup as me.

Thanks everyone for your input! I know seat time will help! If I could get down the track more than once every trip that would be nice!
left lane #2007

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
5500rpm on advanti 17x8 wheels wrapped on M&H Racemaster Slick, 26 x 8.50-17,
I thought I suggested lower launch rpm?

I'm down to 4400 rpm = 1.76

Did 1.81 yesterday.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slicks are on. We will see what it does this weekend as long as the weather holds!!

slick1.jpg slick2.jpg slick3.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Slicks are on. We will see what it does this weekend as long as the weather holds!!

[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=220009&d=1490208313"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=220017&d=1490208313"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=220025&d=1490208315"]
[/iurl]
they look sweet man. Any updates on the times you ran? Also didMD you drive to the track with those on ?? How did they do on the highway?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they look sweet man. Any updates on the times you ran? Also didMD you drive to the track with those on ?? How did they do on the highway?
Best I got was [email protected] I swapped them out when I got to the track. I hope to get back to the track next week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts