Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I only need DP and Intercooler to be fully bolted and tuned (after I reupdate tune) and I'm researching my two future upgrades thoroughly.

The question I have is whether or not I NEED to buy new intercooler piping or if the stock piping with a cooler (The "Beast" by Depo Racing probably) would do basically the same?

I'm 100% positive this was asked before, but our search feature is awful and Google resulted no promising results. And unless I misread or missed it, it isn't in the "All FMIC questions...." post.

Thanks guys,

Brian

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Charge pipes are 100% waste of money.

If you ever go big turbo you will need a new set of charge pipes for whatever turbo setup you go with. stock pipes supply the Stock turbo with all the air it needs

I have MBRP pipes and I know I wasted my money on them but I did get them for a killer deal, still a waste.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If you ever go big turbo you will need a new set of charge pipes for whatever turbo setup you go with. stock pipes supply the Stock turbo with all the air it needs

I have MBRP pipes and I know I wasted my money on them but I did get them for a killer deal, still a waste.
This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I really wanted to get the Cobb (I love Cobb and currently have almost all Cobb products) FMIC with the pipes, but after all my research I found that Depo and others make much cheaper and arguably better performing units...and that a lot of people don't get the pipes. So this answer and my research potentially saved me ~500/600 bucks.

Exactly like my research into the exhausts on FoST's are great and the only part that really restricts anything is the DP, so instead of Cobb TBE I can probably go with a Depo Test/HFC pipe and do just as well for my car. Money saved for bigger and better things...still acquire race car status.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
glad I could help.

I have installed a Depo FMIC and for the money you are getting a pretty sold unit. Spend a little more and get only slightly better quality for the CP-E but honestly they are the exact same units aside from a bit of quality.

I have experience first hand with almost every make and model of after market part that can be bolted to the ST. COBB is very expensive and for a reason, but honestly it isn't really worth it. same amount of power can be bolted on for much cheaper

·
Premium Member
13,737 Posts

I disagree. Many people here have had issues with the stock pipes staying in place even with t bolt clamps. That's one reason I changed mine. The other is I wanted a tial bov.

Sent from another garage.

·
Super Moderator
8,539 Posts
Unless it gets very hot and humid where you live, you may not need the "Beast" either. Summers are fairly warm and humid where I'm at and a 3" core keeps my charge temps in line.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I disagree. Many people here have had issues with the stock pipes staying in place even with t bolt clamps. That's one reason I changed mine. The other is I wanted a tial bov.

we tend to disagree a lot... mostly with you coming in after and disagreeing. that is fine, but in this case I am with the top 90% of people running stock charge pipes and have no issues. I have MBRP pipes and I am changing them out with stock.

again I am with most everyone here... stock provide the stock with enough. spending $300+ on pipes is a joke for something that does nothing.

I have heard of people having issues with "pop offs" but I have never heard of a single person with T-bolts popping off. all I can say is it must have been a user installation error. I feel some cars "built on friday" have "pop off" problems. but my car was 100% stock for 20,000 miles and never had a single issue and I don't drive it like a grandma.

I know of 1 person in out large group that has had issues and he is on stock pipes and stock clamps... all of them have after market FMIC and all of them have stock pipes and clamps 1 of 10+ isn't to worry about.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Unless it gets very hot and humid where you live, you may not need the "Beast" either. Summers are fairly warm and humid where I'm at and a 3" core keeps my charge temps in line.
as long as you never plan to go BT. if you ever want to go BT make the investment on bigger FMIC now.

·
Premium Member
13,737 Posts
we tend to disagree a lot... mostly with you coming in after and disagreeing. that is fine, but in this case I am with the top 90% of people running stock charge pipes and have no issues. I have MBRP pipes and I am changing them out with stock.

again I am with most everyone here... stock provide the stock with enough. spending $300+ on pipes is a joke for something that does nothing.

I have heard of people having issues with "pop offs" but I have never heard of a single person with T-bolts popping off. all I can say is it must have been a user installation error. I feel some cars "built on friday" have "pop off" problems. but my car was 100% stock for 20,000 miles and never had a single issue and I don't drive it like a grandma.

I know of 1 person in out large group that has had issues and he is on stock pipes and stock clamps... all of them have after market FMIC and all of them have stock pipes and clamps 1 of 10+ isn't to worry about.
Not everyone sees eye to eye. I was mainly getting at if you have that problem I mentioned. I never said you have to do it. As for seeing users that have had that issue I have been on these forums for some time. Maybe ford finally fixed it and people with new STs don't have the issue. I know one of my pipes was loose. I fixed it before there was an issue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a "pop off" incident with the stock pipes. Or so I thought... Took it apart and found that it actually popped off the aftermarket intercooler elbow, because I failed to tighten the clamp enough on initial installation. I'd say that the majority of issues with hoses coming off are because of install error, or oil contamination. So anyone with these issues, tighten your clamps. If that doesn't work, hit the pipes with a little brake cleaner and elbow grease, then hairspray and uber-tighten.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as long as you never plan to go BT. if you ever want to go BT make the investment on bigger FMIC now.
I do plan on going BT in the distant future, and @ddfred for the fact it's cheaper than smaller FMICs I don't see why I should spend more for a smaller FMIC

·
Super Moderator
8,539 Posts
I do plan on going BT in the distant future, and @ddfred for the fact it's cheaper than smaller FMICs I don't see why I should spend more for a smaller FMIC
There are smaller intercoolers at a reasonable price; as long as you are going bigger turbo in the future it may be a good choice. The weight of the "Beast" and the amount of room it takes up may not be a concern for you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are smaller intercoolers at a reasonable price; as long as you are going bigger turbo in the future it may be a good choice. The weight of the "Beast" and the amount of room it takes up may not be a concern for you.
The weight of it vs a smaller one, how drastic can I expect that to be? Because I'm not looking to add too much weight, but +5 doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The weight of it vs a smaller one, how drastic can I expect that to be? Because I'm not looking to add too much weight, but +5 doesn't bother me.
it will not be a noticeable weight... not made of raw iron... they are hollow and aluminum

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the depo 3.5 on my stock intercooler piping. I sometimes wish I bought the biggest one because why not. But you don't need new charge pipes. It's tempting to get though. I'd only get them if you think you'd go big turbo in 2 years haha.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the depo 3.5 on my stock intercooler piping. I sometimes wish I bought the biggest one because why not. But you don't need new charge pipes. It's tempting to get though. I'd only get them if you think you'd go big turbo in 2 years haha.
The way I see it is when it's finally time to go BT then $200 or so bucks for pipes isn't too bad and I'll do it. Pretty positive I'll go without. And as far as the bigger version vs the little version the way I see it is you can never have TOO MUCH cooling (liquid nitrogen?)...so overkill isn't a bad thing in this case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed my pipes a week ago today. Did it make a change, not that I can prove or notice. But now I can weld my bov flange on. The stock pipes irritated me how they were not a uniform size. I did notice my access port showed and extra .5-.75 pound of boost increase but I cant say for certain it was caused by the pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can not find any recent discussions about this, Is this still the general consensus? That there is no performance improvement from replacing the intercooler piping? I am upgrading the intercooler and would do the piping as well if there is a performance upgrade. I have no plans of upgrading the turbo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts