Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received my new Depo catted DP. I would like to keep the heat down in the engine compartment and was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with using header wrap on the Focus ST DP. Figured if I was going to do it, better now than once installed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't have an aftermarket down pipe, but I can't imagine wrapping it would be necessary.

Stock catalytic converters light off between 400-600 degrees and normally operate between 1200-1600 degrees.

So if you don't have an issue with the stock down pipe heat, probably don't need to wrap the aftermarket.

Granted, that isn't what you asked but I wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I wrapped mine, didn't take any before or after measurements. What would you like to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Get it coated. Send it to a local powdercoater that deals with heat coating treatments, or mail it out to a number of online places that offer the service (e.g. JetHot is the most expensive, not the best, but has a good reputation). Much better than wrap for a number of reasons, but mainly it offers a nice coating to protect your investment from rust/corrosion. The retention of heat, and keeping it out of the engine bay is a bonus.

If/when I ever go big turbo, I'll also get the turbo exhaust housing coated, and then apply a turbo blanket as well. To go with my coated MBRP downpipe...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Is it high-quality stainless? If not, then don't since any moisture trapped in the wrap will cause it to rot out.

If you can wrap it, do it. It makes a huge difference. The wrapped downpipe in my other car I can hold my hand on at idle. I've never been able to do that with anything ceramic coated.

·
1,976 Posts
Is it high-quality stainless? If not, then don't since any moisture trapped in the wrap will cause it to rot out.

If you can wrap it, do it. It makes a huge difference. The wrapped downpipe in my other car I can hold my hand on at idle. I've never been able to do that with anything ceramic coated.
What Joe said, I've never been a fan of wraps since I have seen the rot out as described. I'm a fan of ceramic coating and have done so on many setups (downpipes, turbine exhaust side, etc) and there is a difference in temp for sure but not as much as a wrapped exhaust I would say.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a Depo pipe, looks nice and shiny new. Not sure what the grade of steel is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts