Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new here. Im looking to buy a focus st for a short commute to work about 30 miles a day round trip.
All the threads about the issues with the st's have caused me to think twice. I really don't want to have to deal with stalling, misfire issues on a
new car especially a car i need to be reliable. So what the consensus as of now? Have they fixed these issues? Would you buy a brand new 2017
focus If you were in my shoes? Thank you !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you qualify for any Ford partner plan pricing??? Look into threads about getting x plan pins / become member of mustang club of america.... Then stack your plan pins with discounts, pit dealers against each other...... Also get an 18 , two new colors are nice (I want a blue metallic so bad but can't justify trading in my oxwhite 16)

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
What else could you possibly buy? Ecoboost mustang is not as good as a dd, you clearly want a manual , (consider test driving a fusion sport) I saw 5k plan discounts on fusion sports a short while back

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Drive the different cars and which ever strikes you as the most enjoyable, buy it. At the end of the day you are going to spend an hour or two in it every day + weekends.

I have a 13 ST and it has been amazing, best car I have owned, never missed a beat and it's running a GX2867r with FBO. To be honest every manufacturer has their lemons and if you were unlucky enough to get one then that sucks but at the same time I have had a toyota that gave me nothing but trouble yet people always tote them as being the most reliable car ever.

The ST's are surprisingly well built and if you have a good dealer and warranty you are not really taking that big of a risk. Also the ST's have now been out for 5 years so most gremlins are ironed out e.g. RMM and wiring loom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got a used one and had nothing but issues but I blame that on the Jack### that owned it before me. I am paying for his mistakes, but at the end of the day I love the car and wouldn't change it for anything. It's a fun car to drive and will surprise you on its power for a 4cyl. Go for it and join the family.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
You are only seeing a small number of owners on the forums, and many go to look for help, not praise the car. The issues you have seen are few and far in between.
I haven't met a person at a meet that has had any issues with their ST.

ST vs GTI is a hard decision.

Reactions: Moose_

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't infer anything about the reliability of the car from what you find in the forum. This forum - and all others - suffer from self selection bias. Basically, people with problems or complaints come here to vent or look for solutions. Happy owners mostly don't come looking.

Here's my experience. I bought a late build 2014 ST3 in March 2015. It now has 29k miles. So far I have had zero repairs or warranty claims. The car has not even required an alignment, tire balance, or other maintenance type work. Three routine service visits (7,500, 15,000, and 23,000) - a little more frequent than the car calls for. The first two were about $85 each at the dealer for full synthetic oil service and tire rotation. The third I did myself with Mobil1, air and cabin filters, and wiper blades for about the same amount of money.

I did have a bad experience with the recall that broke the BCM, so not that enthused about Ford corporate even though I like the car. Even then they kept me in a loaner car for as long as I wanted and eventually followed up with an offer of further compensation.

If you are looking for a fun compact with a manual transmission, try driving the ST, Civic Si, GTI, and maybe the WRX. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I would suggest buying new to avoid cars that have been modified and/or beaten on by first owners.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've owned Hondas, one Nissan, and many VWs, the last a GTI and I've been very happy with my '16 ST that I bought new. I doubt you'll be sorry if you buy one.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The "don't worry about everything you read on forums" thing is funny.

I read A LOT of this forum before I bought my 2015. A lot.

I was concerned about the wiring harness issue and fit and finish problems.

My car had all the fit and finish issues I read about and because mine was one of the first 2015s made, I got a new misfire issue instead of the old wiring splice issue.

Ford bought that car back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a 15, going on 60k miles, 2867 with supporting mods, xtra fuel, e40, putting down ~400 whp, and I love driving my car. Most fun car I've ever owned hands down. I actually look for reasons to go and drive it. "What's that babe, we don't have any milk?" "I got it, be back in a few!" LOL. 130 miles a day for me to-from work. I've done all the mods myself and so far (a few headaches here and there) it's been rewarding and fun.

I do have a back up motor in the garage just in case. It's rebuilt with forged internals, so if I have issues in the nect couple of years, bam...throw it in. If not, maybe a 3076, New clutch, LSD and 500hp. But for now, the car is perfect

I would def buy again

As far as the misfire issue goes, my car does it a bit when started cold. Once warm runs flawlessly, so who cares. It's not causing damage to the motor. I don't run it hard until it warms up anyways. If I had a stock exhaust I doubt it would be noticeable. So, I would not be at all concerned.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whatever you do, don?t buy a used one. It?s a ?sports car? and you know damn well someone beat the piss out of it. You?ll be fine buying a 17/18. It?s a fun car. The only thing I regret is not buying an ST 2 or 3. The ST 1 is fairly basic inside. But, that doesn?t take away from the driving experience. It?s a fun car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
again thanks for the replies. In all honestly i'd really like to get the st. I'd a car for the commute but that's also fun to drive ! and the focus fits the bill . I test drove one a month ago and i liked it. It would be my first turbo charged car. So i guess it sounds like its a hit or miss. i was looking at the si s as well . don't know much about the GTI and the wrx is over my price range. Ill look at these other cars and see what else i like !
btw so they are coming out with the 2018? i had heard they were going to be discontinued in the states but sold in europe .

·
Registered
102 Posts
again thanks for the replies. In all honestly i'd really like to get the st. I'd a car for the commute but that's also fun to drive ! and the focus fits the bill . I test drove one a month ago and i liked it. It would be my first turbo charged car. So i guess it sounds like its a hit or miss. i was looking at the si s as well . don't know much about the GTI and the wrx is over my price range. Ill look at these other cars and see what else i like !
btw so they are coming out with the 2018? i had heard they were going to be discontinued in the states but sold in europe .
Got a 2017 and it has been rock solid. Many of the earlier issues are rare in the new ones. It seems like a much more mature platform now.

2018 is still a go for the Focus ST. Ford is killing off the US Fiesta ST, and not bringing a 2018 model to the US.

BTW I was a rabid Subaru Guy till I drove the ST...

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get a new GTI

You get a more comfortable commuter car AND you get the new VW 6 year,72k mile warranty.

Win/Win
Thats terrible GTi is a pile of unreliable **** you heard him he wants a reliable car and also 6 year,72k warranty is just terrible i put 72k on my cars before the year ends idk what Vw is thinking do they want just a grocery getter no peopler want there cars for long trips also short trips so 72k warranty or 6 years is terrible

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Thats terrible GTi is a pile of unreliable **** you heard him he wants a reliable car and also 6 year,72k warranty is just terrible i put 72k on my cars before the year ends idk what Vw is thinking do they want just a grocery getter no peopler want there cars for long trips also short trips so 72k warranty or 6 years is terrible

They're super solid up to like 100k then good luck killing your incessant, stereotypical CEL's you'll get. You can't keep throwing expensive German parts at it forever unless you make good money. VW isn't for me, been there done that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They're super solid up to like 100k then good luck killing your incessant, stereotypical CEL's you'll get. You can't keep throwing expensive German parts at it forever unless you make good money. VW isn't for me, been there done that.
Yup german cars are garbage but theres these brandloyal fanboys that will keep telling you otherwise but also there the ones getting penetrated in there arsehole by the guys at the dealers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yup german cars are garbage but theres these brandloyal fanboys that will keep telling you otherwise but also there the ones getting penetrated in there arsehole by the guys at the dealers

I hate to say it but German and Japanese cars all seem to go 'boom' at a certain point. My 150k Outback needed just normal maintenance up to 105k and then needed the $500 timing belt change (dealer wanted $1200 for all I did). After that it was another $4500 to get it to 150k. All told I blew 8x more money in the last 30k then I did in the first 120k.

All my co-workers and friends had the same issue with these cars where before 100k it was just fuel and oil changes, after that it got annoying and pricey.

Also the Germans are way over engineered. Geez Hans show off much? So when a VW goes bad, you better have someone with a Scan Tool that can read all the internal, VW specific PIDs to see what is happening. The difference between what it says under Mode 2(?) OBD II PIDs and the VW specific is huge.

So yeah, rolling into the ST was not so much "will it be as reliable?" I know it can be as reliable.

My mind set is more "What do I do to keep it reliable?"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts