Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still getting accustomed to driving a turbocharged car, and am seeking some insight. My understanding has been that you don't want to boost until the oil temperature is up to operating temp. What exactly is operating temperature? I've noticed that at peak, the gauge sits at right about the 12 o'clock position (a tiny bit to the left). However, is seems to take a good long while to get there. It takes at least 15 miles or so for it to get close to that range. I've also noticed that even when I try to keep the revs low until I get to temp, I do sometimes see the boost gauge go up a little. So my next issue of concern is, what is considered "boosting"? Is it OK if the needle bumps just a little? Or is it more that I want to wait for the temp to be all the way to the 12' o'clock position before going WOT? Just trying to do the least harm to my recent investment! :question:

·
Registered
613 Posts
1/4 position should be ~165F, that should be plenty and what I generally use as my 'reached operating temp point'

·
Registered
475 Posts
1/4 position should be ~165F, that should be plenty and what I generally use as my 'reached operating temp point'
I've heard the same thing so I wait to get it to the 1/4 mark before I get on it.

Speaking of getting on it, I just got back from some sprinted driving out here in the desert, I have a nice little 10 mile loop, no cars, lots of twisties and some long straits. It was 61 degrees, sports mode on and I did it 3 times lol, what a blast! This car is still bone stock and I can't wait to do some mods. Still got the grin on my face :big smile:

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get what youre saying but a car isnt an investment unless you are buying a rare Ferrari or something that sits and never gets driven. :p
Perhaps, using the term "investment" was inaccurate. I'll restate it then... "the thing in the driveway I recently dumped a bunch of money into, and will be dumping more into over the next few years".

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
It is a dumb question but I am glad somebody asked it, I always wondered the same. Like XR JOE notes, making some boost while the engine is not entirely warm is sometimes necessary. I also felt like I was doing something bad, so it is good to hear I am generally okay. There is quite a clear distinction between trying to maximize boost and simply making the needle bounce up a little.

Avoiding abuse to the car when cold is probably a very real concern, and likely why Ford gave us an oil temperature gauge. On the other side this means once the oil is warm these cars are probably completely comfortable with a little abuse.

·
Registered
439 Posts
A bit of boost will be fine when cold - our car boosts as early as 2000 RPM. Hard to avoid it.

Just don't go WOT !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts