Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone have a 2014 Focus ST I purchased about 4 weeks ago. I found the two front tires are not the stock tires and are some cheap Walmart tires(I got the ST from a dealership too with mods on it). My question is can I just replace the two front tires with tires like the Pilot Super Sports or should I be doing all 4 if I am able to at the time? If so, what size should I be doing Tire rack has 235/40ZR18 (95Y) XL I am using the stock rims, I have been reading some people do 245 or 255, my question is what is optimal?

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Swapping out all 4 is the best option if you're able, but swapping out just the fronts is fine as well. 235's are the factory size, some people will bump up to 245 for autocross or track use.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I’m not a fan of running mismatched tyres on a daily basis so, if it was me, I’d be replacing all 4.

As for size... the sticker on the “B” pillar should tell you what size your car is configured for, assuming you’re running the stock wheels.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone have a 2014 Focus ST I purchased about 4 weeks ago. I found the two front tires are not the stock tires and are some cheap Walmart tires(I got the ST from a dealership too with mods on it). My question is can I just replace the two front tires with tires like the Pilot Super Sports or should I be doing all 4 if I am able to at the time? If so, what size should I be doing Tire rack has 235/40ZR18 (95Y) XL I am using the stock rims, I have been reading some people do 245 or 255, my question is what is optimal?
I also vote for replacing all four at once. Mismatched tires are not optimal. I don't do much track stuff so I stuck with 235s. Which brand is best is another debate...

Sent from the Bat-phone from an undisclosed location

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would also vote to do all 4 tires are once, and you definitely don't want to run different kinds of tires front and back... Since one set will have different handling properties, you could get into trouble if the car was ever pushed hard. Especially since the dynamic could change a lot after the tires were rotated. Be safe, be consistent replace all 4 at the same time and always have the same tires on front and back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swapping out all 4 is the best option if you're able, but swapping out just the fronts is fine as well. 235's are the factory size, some people will bump up to 245 for autocross or track use.
I’m not a fan of running mismatched tyres on a daily basis so, if it was me, I’d be replacing all 4.

As for size... the sticker on the “B” pillar should tell you what size your car is configured for, assuming you’re running the stock wheels.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...
I also vote for replacing all four at once. Mismatched tires are not optimal. I don't do much track stuff so I stuck with 235s. Which brand is best is another debate...

Sent from the Bat-phone from an undisclosed location
I would also vote to do all 4 tires are once, and you definitely don't want to run different kinds of tires front and back... Since one set will have different handling properties, you could get into trouble if the car was ever pushed hard. Especially since the dynamic could change a lot after the tires were rotated. Be safe, be consistent replace all 4 at the same time and always have the same tires on front and back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the fast response, I will definately be going for all 4.

·
Registered
825 Posts
First thing I would say:
If the tires were NOT rated for 155mph plus they were ILLEGAL for that dealer to even sell you the car with them on it.
There really are laws about the tires required on a high performance vehicle..
And being cheap WalMart I would guess they were not at least H rated? But should be at least V rated AND the required XL load rated.
So IMO that dealer needs to be informed and should be the folks offering you some LEGAL tires.. and or a money to buy legal tires.

Aside from that, You can buy two tires if the other two are not very worn.
Then say next year buy the final two.
Agree for high performance driving all four should be the exact same.
But for daily driver sort not as important. So it depends on how you plan on using the car.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
I would say it all depends.

What are the front 2 tires? Brand model size?

What are the back 2 tires? Brand model size?

What's the tread depth on both front and backs?

I dont like run 2 different sets of tires either, but I don't like wasting money either.

2 might be good for right now, but you might need 4. The questions above would need to be answered.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First, what size you should buy depends on what is on the wheels at the moment, so if you´re going to switch only 2 they have of course to be same size than the other ones. In my opinion there´s nothing wrong with driving different tires front and rear, you´ll hardly ever notice (maybe on track or if you go to the limit or when there´s a really BIG difference in quality). Only it´s harder to find out the quality of a brand if you have only 2 on the car.

What I would do is for sure switch the cheap front tires, you will have no fun with them because the ST tends to spin even good tires. Than have a look at the rears, what brand? Still enough rubber? Any visible damage maybe? Year of make? If a few years old already, espacially when the car was standing around for a while you should switch them. Or just for the better feeling (you never know what the previous owner did...). If you think about doing all four you can select a different size, this is just up to you, chose one matching. 235/40 18 is stock size, I like to go with 245/35 18, 225/40 18 also possible, only examples.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bought my 2014 ST1 with 50k miles on it a couple months ago and it came with nearly new 245/40/18 Pirelli Pzero All Season Plus tires. Had no idea that these were 1 size wider than the stock 235's until i did some research. I love them and they handle great in all the weather conditions we get here in Missouri, rain/snow/sleet/dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts