Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rotated my tires today. From the outside the tires look great. 3/32nds on the front. When I got them off the car I noticed the inside of both front tires were nearly bald, almost to the cords. Is this normal wear or is my camber possibly off, maybe from the previous owner? I've never tracked the car. Tire pressure checked regularly. 95% of my miles are interstate highway traveling 80-85 mph. I was taken by surprise at the severity of the uneven wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
If the tires are directional, it's fairly normal to wear the inside faster than the outside as you are ALWAYS riding heavier on that part of the tread due to alignment specs. If you ride with any kind of weight in the trunk for work or travel, this will be accelerated in the rear due to the compression of the suspension (and Focus' blade suspension design) causing more toe, and more camber as the car is sitting lower. The only option is to rotate at least once in the lifetime of the tire by having the tires flipped (taken off and reversed) so the inside is now the outside on the opposite side of the car.

2/32 is legally bald and will fail a safety check, possibly get you a secondary offense ticket if the cop feels like being a jerk. Even 3/32nds isn't worth the time to rotate them, IMO. Do one more good burn out and go get some new Michelins!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Not normal for a normal car. But for us it can be problematic. The cause is spinning the tires while turning sharp to one side or the other, full lock. This is because the caster setting makes the tire lean slightly to the inside edge when turning and accelerating. So if you are trying to make a turn across traffic and floor it, not only is the tire more likely to spin because it is the unloaded tire, but also because you don't have full tire contact. I'm on my fourth set of tires and I know, the cure is to never spin when turning.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Pretty unusual. I have driven 'fast cars' for 20 years.. And replaced a LOT of high performance tires..
Never had any irregularities in tread wear.
On my ST I swap from Summer to Winter and back every year.. Three years now. All the tires perfectly flat across on tread wear.
I also use higher than recommended psi. 44 front, 40 rear.

My guess is your car had some suspension lowering?

·
Registered
421 Posts
My car is lowered on bilstein b8s and eibach prokit. I've had the alignment checked a few different times, and both were "within spec" for a st. But, my tires always wear the inside out first. And, yes I rotate them frequently. I just installed my 4th set of tires with 44k miles on the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is the suspension stock or modified? If it has been lowered, then you likely have more negative camber (tire leaning inward at the top) which will of course cause the inside of the tire to wear faster. If the suspension is factory stock, then probably an alignment can help. Most likely the toe is set too positive - you have toe in, aka the front tires are pointed inward at each other. If you visualize how a tire with negative camber and positive caster (google it!) rotates around the steering axis, positive toe rotates the inside edges of the tires downward and the outside edges upward. The result is uneven wear across the tread of the tire. Have the alignment checked, and if appropriate have the technician set the toe more negative (toe-out). Going more negative on toe increases the responsiveness of the car to turn into corners and reduces straight line stability. So you don't want to go crazy, but rather strike a good balance between even tire wear and a car that's so nervous in a straight line that it's annoying to drive on the street.

My stock 2014 has nice even wear across the factory F1 tires with 27K miles. I've got about 1mm remaining until the wear bars. Alignment has never been touched and it still drives like the day it left the dealer. So it is possible to have a great drive and good tire wear.

There are a bunch of discussions of alignment specs, here's one: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/43012-need-oem-alignment-specs-asap.html. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock suspension. I have 25k miles on the tires. Been rotated once before. I drive 120 miles round trip for work each day. No heavy turning, no real anything other than driving. I'm a spirited driver, but I wouldn't think bursts of speed on the interstate would cause uneven tire wear. I'm definitely replacing the tires as suggested in a previous post. I inquired here to see if I could find the root of the problem so I don't wear out the new set. I'll have the tech check the alignment when they mount the new shoes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm still on the original F1s at 45K, getting really close to replacement time. I've rotated 4 times, mostly interstate, no racing or tracks. Wear across all 4 tires are even, just for your reference.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Stock suspension. I have 25k miles on the tires. Been rotated once before. I drive 120 miles round trip for work each day. No heavy turning, no real anything other than driving. I'm a spirited driver, but I wouldn't think bursts of speed on the interstate would cause uneven tire wear. I'm definitely replacing the tires as suggested in a previous post. I inquired here to see if I could find the root of the problem so I don't wear out the new set. I'll have the tech check the alignment when they mount the new shoes.

Do you carry anything in the truck/back seat regularly? Stereo, tools... Hoarder?

Even with a proper alignment when empty, put something as small as 100lbs in the trunk, it squats 1/2" and suddenly your toe and camber drop out of spec and will slowly do this to tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you carry anything in the truck/back seat regularly? Stereo, tools... Hoarder?

Even with a proper alignment when empty, put something as small as 100lbs in the trunk, it squats 1/2" and suddenly your toe and camber drop out of spec and will slowly do this to tires.
Trunk is empty 99% of the time but I will keep this in mind for the future. I wasn't aware that would cause an issue. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is this your primary commuter? Maybe consider a less aggressive tire (I'm going go get flamed) The Michelins are great from what I hear, but the TWR is low for commuting (unless money is no object) I can attest that the Pirelli P-Zeros wear slower than the F1s do, return slightly better economy (narrower contact patch) and are more than adequate for daily driving. Once my temps remain below 20c° I'll be switching back to them.

It's all down to how you drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts