Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my left front tire is scrubbing during aggressive driving when I hit a dip in the road. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd bring this up. As I was investigating, I notice on the fender lip, there's a section of the fender roll about 1"-2" in length that's not rolled good out of the way. This is what the tire is getting cut on when it dips pretty deep. I'm guessing not a defect or screw up since both front fenders have this same sharp section (and it's pretty darn sharp) in the same spot. If you're looking at the left front wheel, it's about at the 10 o'clock position. Conversely, if looking at the right wheel, it's about at the 2 o'clock position.

I'd like to try and fold this up some out of the way more, but wanted to see if you guys had tried this? I DO NOT want to crack the paint trying to roll that small section.

Have a set of YCW coil overs on the way and don't plan on lowering the front much at all, so that may very well address the dip when it scrubs.

But here's the funny part (not really a question on this part, just an observation)...my left front wheel/tire stick out further than the right. It's not overwhelming, but it's there. You can eyeball it and see the difference if you're looking for it straight on from the front. But then again, I've never had an American made car that was completely symmetrical side to side anyways, so...

You guys notice this on yours too??

So my main question was if you guys had that one small sharp spot and if you rolled it out of the way? Thanks guys

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone happen to look and see if you have this spot where the fender roll isn't rolled out of the way so good?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yes, just have the fenders rolled. You'll want to make sure the paint is heated so it doesn't crack.

Regarding the tire "sticking out" further, sounds like you're seeing differences in cross camber. This can be fixed with camber plates or shifting the subframe. It's never going to be exact side to side, especially once you start lowering. My left front rubs as well, but the right front does not since it has a few more points of natural, negative camber.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Anyone happen to look and see if you have this spot where the fender roll isn't rolled out of the way so good?
Yes mine is the same way, and sharp too! Why they would not roll that in is beyond me? Definitely sharp enough to cut you.

I'm going to roll mine in with a wooden baseball bat unless somebody else has a better idea. Heat, thanks XRJoe, I do have a good heat gun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I was able to swing by a dealer today with two ST's parked side by side. They both have this non-flat, sharp section sticking out. No earthly idea why that is. Yes, I have aftermarket wheels/tires; I know that's why they're rubbing. My question was about that sharp, unrolled spot in the fender lip and if you guys had done anything to flatten that out or beat it down flat.

Thanks for the pic Mike. Did you get your Swift springs yet? Good to have a visual reference since you have to basically drop the arm to adjust the ride height on the rear.

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
Thanks guys. I was able to swing by a dealer today with two ST's parked side by side. They both have this non-flat, sharp section sticking out. No earthly idea why that is. Yes, I have aftermarket wheels/tires; I know that's why they're rubbing. My question was about that sharp, unrolled spot in the fender lip and if you guys had done anything to flatten that out or beat it down flat.

Thanks for the pic Mike. Did you get your Swift springs yet? Good to have a visual reference since you have to basically drop the arm to adjust the ride height on the rear.
Yep. Check out my build thread for pictures.

Sent from another garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts