Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my stock wheels with 245/40R18 Potenzas on over the weekend for an autocross event (didn't make it due to a bad battery) and heard a noise while driving today.

I swapped back to my regular wheels and tires tonight and saw that the front tires (near the shoulder) were rubbing on the spring perch of my YCW coilovers. The driver side (where I thought I was hearing the noise) was rubbing worse than the passenger side.

I'm wondering if this sounds like an issue of too much camber with the wider tires and stock offset wheels, because my regular wheels are 18x8.5 with a +47 offset and 235/40R18 tires.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I put my stock wheels with 245/40R18 Potenzas on over the weekend for an autocross event (didn't make it due to a bad battery) and heard a noise while driving today.

I swapped back to my regular wheels and tires tonight and saw that the front tires (near the shoulder) were rubbing on the spring perch of my YCW coilovers. The driver side (where I thought I was hearing the noise) was rubbing worse than the passenger side.

I'm wondering if this sounds like an issue of too much camber with the wider tires and stock offset wheels, because my regular wheels are 18x8.5 with a +47 offset and 235/40R18 tires.
245's on stock wheels are closer to the strut than your 235 8.5" wheels with 47mm offset

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm gonna guess that it's a combo of the high stock offset and the spring perch possibly being too low. rule of thumb on running higher offset wheels with coilovers is to have the spring perch sit above the tire to clear.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna guess that it's a combo of the high stock offset and the spring perch possibly being too low. rule of thumb on running higher offset wheels with coilovers is to have the spring perch sit above the tire to clear.
Spring perch is set to remove the preload from the spring. Still has some room to move it up if I need to (would just be adding additional preload to the spring).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Spring perch is set to remove the preload from the spring. Still has some room to move it up if I need to (would just be adding additional preload to the spring).
that is an option as well if you don't want to change your current static ride height, but if you have your camber set how you like it, a small spacer might be a better option. unless of course you already have opened up the strut tower to allow access to the camber plate bolts. I wish I could do that but cutting out the tower isn't a legal option for my scca classing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, my strut towers are cut to access the camber plates (the club that I run with isn't absolutely strict about all of the rules), so it won't be a big deal to adjust for a little less camber, or run say a 2 or 3 mm spacer only for autocross

1 - 7 of 7 Posts