Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions on tire/wheel packages, and what tires you think are best for DD. I plan on buying some summer wheels and tires, and using my stock premium wheels for winter (New York).

I really like the look of the Niche Targa, but I also like a dark bronze wheel as well. Not looking to spend more than $250 a wheel.

Any advise and opinions are appreciated! Pictures too! I’m driving a 2017 ST Absolute Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
The wheel is super dependant on personal preference, so it's hard for me to make a suggestion. My best advice in this scenario is consider the diameter with your budget. A stock size tire (235/40/18) is going to be much more expensive than a similar size tire on a 17" wheel, since a ratio of 40 on an 18" is considered low profile, but a ratio of 40 on a 17" tire is not. As far as tire brands are concerned, the Continental ExtremeContact is a great performing midpriced tire. The Michelin pilot sport 4 is a bit more expensive and slightly better than the Continental. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Firehawk Indy 500 as a low budget summer tire, but I can't personally vouch for it.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheel is super dependant on personal preference, so it's hard for me to make a suggestion. My best advice in this scenario is consider the diameter with your budget. A stock size tire (235/40/18) is going to be much more expensive than a similar size tire on a 17" wheel, since a ratio of 40 on an 18" is considered low profile, but a ratio of 40 on a 17" tire is not. As far as tire brands are concerned, the Continental ExtremeContact is a great performing midpriced tire. The Michelin pilot sport 4 is a bit more expensive and slightly better than the Continental. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Firehawk Indy 500 as a low budget summer tire, but I can't personally vouch for it.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone running 18x8.5 on their ST? Wondering if any rubbing occurs with coil overs.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Anyone running 18x8.5 on their ST? Wondering if any rubbing occurs with coil overs.

It will also be dependent on the offset of your wheels. Anything +47 or lower should be okay in terms of inner wheel to coilover perch clearance. Once you go up to +48 you start to run on the hairy edge of rubbing on coilovers especially when you run 255's or wider on a 8.5 or 9 inch width wheel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will also be dependent on the offset of your wheels. Anything +47 or lower should be okay in terms of inner wheel to coilover perch clearance. Once you go up to +48 you start to run on the hairy edge of rubbing on coilovers especially when you run 255's or wider on a 8.5 or 9 inch width wheel.
Thanks! The wheels I want are +42

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had a set of Konig Oversteers on my car with a set of Cooper Zeon RS3 G1s for the past 2 years, and loved the combo. I'm also lowered on ST-X coil-overs. No rubbing, buy my wheels are only 18x8, and the stock tire size. I'll be getting a set of Achilles ATR Sport 2s this week to run for the summer. They are super cheap, looking like $273 shipped to me from Walmart. I'll see how those hold up, and plan to go back to the G1s once these are used up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just put a set of Niche Misano wheels in 19x8.5 with +40 offset on my DD. But those might be a touch out of your $250 per corner budget...

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had a set of Konig Oversteers on my car with a set of Cooper Zeon RS3 G1s for the past 2 years, and loved the combo.
Another vote for Konig Oversteers. Mine are stock size (except for offset, which is +10mm) shod in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's. The Michelins are sublime. I doubt I will ever put anything else on my ST.

The Oversteers were $598 for all four, shipped to my door. I purchased aluminum hub rings, and 20 new lug nuts.

The tires were $866 out-the-door.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up getting 18x8.5 +43 Konig Lockout’s in gloss black. I’ll post pictures next week when I get them!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just put a set of Niche Misano wheels in 19x8.5 with +40 offset on my DD. But those might be a touch out of your $250 per corner budget...

I gotta admit, I love the Shadow Black ST & am tempted to buy one. Can you use a spray detailer & micro fiber on that paint without streaks & smears?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gotta admit, I love the Shadow Black ST & am tempted to buy one. Can you use a spray detailer & micro fiber on that paint without streaks & smears?

Yeah, I use ChemicalGuys eco smart and it works great

·
Registered
353 Posts

Yeah. I’ve been using Chemical Guys and F11 on it for the past year... before that I was water washing, and still do every once in a while if the buildup is excessive...

I live in a rural area with lots of gravel roads so the grime can cake up pretty fast.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another vote for Konig Oversteers. Mine are stock size (except for offset, which is +10mm) shod in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's. The Michelins are sublime. I doubt I will ever put anything else on my ST.

The Oversteers were $598 for all four, shipped to my door. I purchased aluminum hub rings, and 20 new lug nuts.

The tires were $866 out-the-door.
Just a word of advice about the aluminum hub centric rings. Hopefully you don't have the same issue I did, but I bought a set off of eBay, and 2 or 3 of them became lodged in the wheel, and I had to split them in half in order to get them out.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I'm running these Motec MCR2 Ultralight in 18x8 with Nitto NT555 G2's on them.
The wheels are fantastic. Coming in at a low 8,7 kg each (19,2 lbs) and they had cost me $225 a piece.
The Nitto tires were dirt cheap at $85 each. Would I buy them again? Idk. Maybe. Response, wet handling and such are great, but they're a bit loud and imo lack a bit of dry grip. Will try the new Goodyear Supersport R next year.

felgen.jpg

felge 1l.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts