Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've talked with Randy from Mountune... (running Mountune tune with 4 slot switching... car is basically stage 3 with symposer delete, intercooler, turboback, intercooler pipes, rmm etc...)

My OAR for the longest was -0.29. I reset the KAM and the ECU and got it to 0. Now it is at -0.10 after running for a week or two...
he told me to use map slot 4 in 4th gear for 7 seconds, with boost... to get some extra spark... which seems to have reduced negative corrections but not changed the OAR. I have been trying a couple days, off and on. I don't think it is my gas...

Any other ideas? It's slowing me down and I am itching to run an optimal tune in the top performance slot
(everytime I put it in slot 4, that's when the guy in the Genesis pulls alongside revving... soooo irritating not being able to just drag him)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I've talked with Randy from Mountune... (running Mountune tune with 4 slot switching... car is basically stage 3 with symposer delete, intercooler, turboback, intercooler pipes, rmm etc...)

My OAR for the longest was 0.29. I reset the KAM and the ECU and got it to 0. Now it is at -0.10 after running for a week or two...
he told me to use map slot 4 in 4th gear for 7 seconds, with boost... to get some extra spark... which seems to have reduced negative corrections but not changed the OAR. I have been trying a couple days, off and on. I don't think it is my gas...

Any other ideas? It's slowing me down and I am itching to run an optimal tune in the top performance slot
(everytime I put it in slot 4, that's when the guy in the Genesis pulls alongside revving... soooo irritating not being able to just drag him)
If it was POSITIVE .29 and you have negative corrections then the gas you're using is HORRIBLE. Go to a good station or talk to your tuner. A wot pull in 4th will easily raise your OAR. In a 30 mile trip home from work I can get it to -1 from 0 at the expense of bad gas mileage from hooning lol

·
Registered
862 Posts

My OAR for the longest was 0.29. I reset the KAM and the ECU and got it to 0. Now it is at -0.10 after running for a week or two...

The easiest way that I have found to get your oar to -1.00 if you have good fuel is to pick a gear 3-5 get on the highway and keep it at a conisitent 2 pounds of boost or somewhere close. If you monitor it on your apv3 you should see the 2 pounds give or so and you will see ignition correction that is positive "good sign". Negative corrections are a Nono which could also point you back at your fuel, try that it should help. It takes me under a mile to go from -.75 to-1.0

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stratified recommended that I use Shell, Chevron and BP. I regularly go to the QT and have always had consistent -1.0 on OAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it was POSITIVE .29 and you have negative corrections then the gas you're using is HORRIBLE. Go to a good station or talk to your tuner. A wot pull in 4th will easily raise your OAR. In a 30 mile trip home from work I can get it to -1 from 0 at the expense of bad gas mileage from hooning lol
I've been having this issue since I got the AP and the tune, which I did about a week after putting in the downpipe... oh and it was -0.29 (now -0.10)

It's hard to imagine that I keep getting bad gas! He's prolly gonna see this and I'll feel guilty but... I wonder if my tuner is too busy/slipping a little? I only use top tier gas... lately I buy at 76 stations, but might switch again if I can't get 'er running smoother

·
Registered
142 Posts
The easiest way that I have found to get your oar to -1.00 if you have good fuel is to pick a gear 3-5 get on the highway and keep it at a conisitent 2 pounds of boost or somewhere close. If you monitor it on your apv3 you should see the 2 pounds give or so and you will see ignition correction that is positive "good sign". Negative corrections are a Nono which could also point you back at your fuel, try that it should help. It takes me under a mile to go from -.75 to-1.0
Only 2lbs boost?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mmm tried this, OAR didn't change at all... I got positive corrections up to 4.00 ... wonder if there is a vibration issue or something else weird... never have had the OAR at -1.00 no matter what I do

·
Registered
625 Posts
Find a incline on the freeway

Put it in 5th

2 to 5 pounds of boost, needle off the stop about the with of the needle.

Once showing +4 corrections hold for 5 seconds and then completely lift off the throttle.

You should see the oar value jump negative. Repeat 2 to 3 times and you should be at -1 or close to it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
mmm tried this, OAR didn't change at all... I got positive corrections up to 4.00 ... wonder if there is a vibration issue or something else weird... never have had the OAR at -1.00 no matter what I do
This, missing step is completely lifting off the throttle. I don't know why that part matters.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Lowest my OAR has been was -.98 i run a e30 tune from stratified. Its currently at -1 and I only run Sheetz e85 and 93

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Lowest my OAR has been was -.98 i run a e30 tune from stratified. Its currently at -1 and I only run Sheetz e85 and 93
Your Sheetz must be better than all of mine. Most garbage fuel available in my area within 40 miles

·
Registered
216 Posts
Your Sheetz must be better than all of mine. Most garbage fuel available in my area within 40 miles
Mifflintown and Clearfield are the ones i use.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Pick up some Boostane, Torco Accelerator or Race Gas.

It's cheaper than race gas but it's still more expensive than 93 or mixing E85 with 93.

As noted in the video, I would only use it when going to the track with a saved tune to match that's more aggressive. It's still too expensive to run around everyday on.

This again is where water-methanol injection has a tremendous advantage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I work in Mifflintown (where are you from?) And that Sheetz give me bad negative corrections both times I gave them the benefit of the doubt and filled up there. Never again.

It's cheaper than race gas but it's still more expensive than 93 or mixing E85 with 93.

As noted in the video, I would only use it when going to the track with a saved tune to match that's more aggressive. It's still too expensive to run around everyday on.

I wasn't saying ALL the gas around here was bad, I wouldn't buy that stuff just to run Sheetz crappy gas. I'd rather just get from Sunoco in Lewistown or my reliable Minit Mart station in Mifflintown that hardly ever throws a negative correction

·
Registered
216 Posts
I work in Mifflintown (where are you from?) And that Sheetz give me bad negative corrections both times I gave them the benefit of the doubt and filled up there. Never again.

I wasn't saying ALL the gas around here was bad, I wouldn't buy that stuff just to run Sheetz crappy gas. I'd rather just get from Sunoco in Lewistown or my reliable Minit Mart station in Mifflintown that hardly ever throws a negative correction
Im from Clearfield but live in State College now

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My post/point was two fold -

1) You will never reach MBT with 93 octane, don' care how "good" it is = Power left on the table
2) If you get minor knock correction, don't beat on it constantly, simple. But if you want to beat on it constantly you have options.

This is the same as my closest E85 pump being 12 miles from my front door. Yet there's an expectation on this forum that despite the information available to do certain things as they acceptable while other options are not.

Octane Concentrates is a short term solution IMHO, that said it will turn even the crappiest 93 into 100-105 octane fuel depending how much you use.

With water injection you don't have to concern yourself with which pump you go to, again even the crappiest gas is acceptable. There was a guy that made mid 300 on stock turbo EVO III with 100% water + 87 OCTANE fuel.

He eventually blew it up but that wasn't the water injections fault per say it was a single nozzle system and since water is heavier than say methanol it starved the cylinder furthest away from the spray.

Again this wasn't a problem until they kept trying to push the envelope to make power. The more power they wanted, more water had to be injected. Since you have to inject WAY more water by volume to get the same results as 50/50, it is best to use 50/50 end of discussion.

Finally the value of -1 OAR is overrated. I still get 26-27 degrees of advance with E40 and OAR being at -.55

Despite being rich (10.8 vs 11.8 AFR) knock count was ZERO and OAR dropped to .-1 with WATER INJECTION....

Have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts