Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its come time where I am going to be doing a paint correction and sealant on my car. It will be the first time using a DA so any input would help. I’ve clayed and waxed my car before but didn’t get the results I was looking for hopefully this will do the trick. Focusing on exterior only for now.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a hose in my apartment complex so im looking into purchasing the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash In-A-Bucket Kit. I will be washing my car once a month with a pressure washer I keep at my parents house. So maybe someone can give me some input on this kit.

Im looking for the most cost effective way to get the results that I want. I don’t necessarily need a show car finish but would like the paint to be protected and stay clean for longer than a day. I have tested a few products that do seem to work pretty well for me and need some input on products I will need to purchase.
ITEMS I HAVE:
MEGUIRS - Clay Kit
TURTLE WAX – Black Box T3KT – Pre Wax cleaner/conditioner, Carnauba based wax, Spray detailer
EAGLE ONE – Wheel and tire cleaner
ARMOR ALL – Extreme tire shine

PLAN TO PURCHASE:
HARBOUR FREIGHT – DA polisher
WOLFGANG CONCOURS SERIES – Waterless carwash kit

ITEMS I NEED:
Sealant
Swirl removed
Polishing pads
Pack of Polishing Cloth

As you can see I’ve been using off the shelf products from PEPBOYS for quite awhile now and probably wasted a lot of money on products that don’t quite work well and still sitting on my shelf. As for the ones I listed above, they seem to work pretty well for me so far.

Looking for recommendations and opinions on what I’m using and what I need to purchase? Would like to keep the cost as low as possible while still getting quality products. Maybe some kind of kit would keep cost low?

Waiting for Autogeeks next sale anyone have any info?

·
Registered
12 Posts
DA Polisher: I would recommend a Porter Cable 7424 XP. It is the entry level DA and will get decent result.
Swirl Remover: If you want a 1 step HD Speed is a good choice, also it has a sealant in it but I would still top it with a sealant.
Sealant: Jescar Powerlock Plus is my go to, also Colinite 845 is a good wax to top it.
Polishing Pads: I like either the Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads or Lake Country's pads, for this application I would use their orange pads and get 3.
Microfibers: Check out theragcompany.com or autofiber.com, if you want local purchase Costco has microfibers that seems to do well.
Waterless/Rinseless wash: I don't know much about Wolfgang, but the common consensus is Optimum No Rinse (ONR). ONR is also versatile enough to be used as clay lube and spray detailer.

Check out videos on polishing on youtube for technique, I would recommend AMMONYC's channel to learn from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DA Polisher: I would recommend a Porter Cable 7424 XP. It is the entry level DA and will get decent result.
Swirl Remover: If you want a 1 step HD Speed is a good choice, also it has a sealant in it but I would still top it with a sealant.
Sealant: Jescar Powerlock Plus is my go to, also Colinite 845 is a good wax to top it.
Polishing Pads: I like either the Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads or Lake Country's pads, for this application I would use their orange pads and get 3.
Microfibers: Check out theragcompany.com or autofiber.com, if you want local purchase Costco has microfibers that seems to do well.
Waterless/Rinseless wash: I don't know much about Wolfgang, but the common consensus is Optimum No Rinse (ONR). ONR is also versatile enough to be used as clay lube and spray detailer.

Check out videos on polishing on youtube for technique, I would recommend AMMONYC's channel to learn from.
Thanks the input. I will def look into these products and recommended videos. As far as the DA polisher im really aiming toward the Harbor Freight DA. I usually dont buy anything from them accept zip ties ect, but in this case I wouldn't be using it too much and its about half the price. Do you have any experience with these?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
People have good luck with the hf da. It is just noisy and vibrates a lot.

Here is what I would do
Get the rinseless you want. I use ONR due to cost.
Get a bucket at Home Depot. Don't over pay for one.
Get a gamma seal lid at Home Depot.
Order a grit guard with your auto geek order.
Get a new 5" backing plate for your da, the 6" is just to big.
You will need one pad per every two panels, i actually get away with three, but i can notice when I push one too far.
You will need a color for polish, a color for swirl remover (depending on how much work a pad or two may be enough)
And one pad for each sealant or wax you use thin flat 5.5" pads is key with your machine. It just doesn't have the power some others do.

Your clay kit is good, you will need a detail spray (I dilute ONR for that, I am sure Wolfgang can also)
You're wheelmcleaner is good
I would toss the armour all
Megs quik interior detailer has cleaning ability and a protectant
Swirl remover I would start with a polish I am sure with the machine you will be fine look at Megs Ultimate line polish, a wax (really a sealant).

FOR the towels look into the rag company.

I will come back to this. I need to restart my ipad iPad it is not responding well w

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
People have good luck with the hf da. It is just noisy and vibrates a lot.

Here is what I would do
Get the rinseless you want. I use ONR due to cost.
Get a bucket at Home Depot. Don't over pay for one.
Get a gamma seal lid at Home Depot.
Order a grit guard with your auto geek order.
Get a new 5" backing plate for your da, the 6" is just to big.
You will need one pad per every two panels, i actually get away with three, but i can notice when I push one too far.
You will need a color for polish, a color for swirl remover (depending on how much work a pad or two may be enough)
And one pad for each sealant or wax you use thin flat 5.5" pads is key with your machine. It just doesn't have the power some others do.

Your clay kit is good, you will need a detail spray (I dilute ONR for that, I am sure Wolfgang can also)
You're wheelmcleaner is good
I would toss the armour all
Megs quik interior detailer has cleaning ability and a protectant
Swirl remover I would start with a polish I am sure with the machine you will be fine look at Megs Ultimate line polish, a wax (really a sealant).

FOR the towels look into the rag company.

I will come back to this. I need to restart my ipad iPad it is not responding well w
Nice!! I was waiting for you to chime in. Alright so I'm going to def just be ordering ONR and I'll be going with HF DA. For cost efficiency def grabbing Home Depot bucket. What's the gama seal lid for? And then I'll order the grit guard on my auto geek order. Now for scratch swirl remover. I found Meg's had one that really rated top 10 ots. Should I just try w/out compound or scratch swirl remover see if I'm happy with the results?

Do I need some kind of conditioner after compound?

What would you recommend for sealant?

http://www.autogeek.net/bf200.html
Pricing together pads and backing plate gets kind of costly.

What do you think about this kit?

What size pads am I looking for?

Sorry for the question overload been trying to do research in my free time but as you can see haven't gotten to far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I am going to start with the kit. It comes with a 5" backing plate (great) but no pads for it. The pads are for a 6" plate. The bonnets, not sure what they work with. Not the stuff included. Those pads I have some, they are in my if everything else is dirty use them. THey are ok, not great. Technology has changed, thin flat pads are in. I use BOSS pads but Lake Country thin flats are nice and less expensive. Either way get the 6 pack one finishing three polishing, and two swirl removing. You will be fine. You may clean on the fly, and alternate the pads to not overheat them. Get 5.5" pads and a 5" backing plate

The lid...the nice thing with ONR is it keeps. Put the lid on it and do the car two or three times then change it.

Use the Ultimate wax. It's really a sealant get the spray also. When you wash the car everytime after this one spray the clean wet car, then dry as normal. That help prevent swirls and give some added protection.
For swirl remover start with the Polish. Rarely do I need to reach for something stronger, but the swirl remover from Wolfgang is what I go for.

No nothing for after the polish. Glazes really just help hide swirls you didn't get out polishing. Just polish, remove it, seal.

Now one other way to go. HD Speed. It is a one step, everything in one. I use it for 95% of all customer cars. It removes 85% of defects with 4-6 section passes. Use a stronger pad and you will be good. Like anything else that claims to do multiple things nothing is as good as something that does just one. A real compound will do better than this, a real sealant will last longer than this. I get 3-4 months out of it. Ultimate was 4-6. However instead of spending a few hours on each step, you are done in a few hours. Do it once then maintain well enough and in fall do a quick sealant coat of something and you will be good till spring when you do it all again.

With ag never shop without a sale, wait till 20% off and either $6 shipping or free. I buy gift certs for 20% off when they go on sale, and use them on sale items.

The polisher use a coupon when it's on sale. Should be $50-60.

Ask away for questions. You are fine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to start with the kit. It comes with a 5" backing plate (great) but no pads for it. The pads are for a 6" plate. The bonnets, not sure what they work with. Not the stuff included. Those pads I have some, they are in my if everything else is dirty use them. THey are ok, not great. Technology has changed, thin flat pads are in. I use BOSS pads but Lake Country thin flats are nice and less expensive. Either way get the 6 pack one finishing three polishing, and two swirl removing. You will be fine. You may clean on the fly, and alternate the pads to not overheat them. Get 5.5" pads and a 5" backing plate

The lid...the nice thing with ONR is it keeps. Put the lid on it and do the car two or three times then change it.

Use the Ultimate wax. It's really a sealant get the spray also. When you wash the car everytime after this one spray the clean wet car, then dry as normal. That help prevent swirls and give some added protection.
For swirl remover start with the Polish. Rarely do I need to reach for something stronger, but the swirl remover from Wolfgang is what I go for.

No nothing for after the polish. Glazes really just help hide swirls you didn't get out polishing. Just polish, remove it, seal.

Now one other way to go. HD Speed. It is a one step, everything in one. I use it for 95% of all customer cars. It removes 85% of defects with 4-6 section passes. Use a stronger pad and you will be good. Like anything else that claims to do multiple things nothing is as good as something that does just one. A real compound will do better than this, a real sealant will last longer than this. I get 3-4 months out of it. Ultimate was 4-6. However instead of spending a few hours on each step, you are done in a few hours. Do it once then maintain well enough and in fall do a quick sealant coat of something and you will be good till spring when you do it all again.

With ag never shop without a sale, wait till 20% off and either $6 shipping or free. I buy gift certs for 20% off when they go on sale, and use them on sale items.

The polisher use a coupon when it's on sale. Should be $50-60.

Ask away for questions. You are fine
Alright perfect so ill go with the HD speed for now and found the lake country thin flats kit for a good price with a 5" backing plate. Now the only thing left for me to purchase is some kind of treatment or wash for my microfibers and pads.

Is there a product that works for both? How do I keep the pads in good condition?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Alright perfect so ill go with the HD speed for now and found the lake country thin flats kit for a good price with a 5" backing plate. Now the only thing left for me to purchase is some kind of treatment or wash for my microfibers and pads.

Is there a product that works for both? How do I keep the pads in good condition?

Pads squirt some apc then rinse well in the wash bucket then rinse in the hose till the spent product comes out. Speed does stain the pads so don't worry about that. Then toss them with the mf towels into the washing machine with regular free and clear detergent. Wash warm, extra water, extra rinse. Dry on the lowest setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts