Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take vacation and the Focus sits for a week, I come back to a dead battery. Is this normal or is it time to replace the battery?

My car is early 2014 with little over 60k miles on original battery.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,422 Posts
Age of battery? Any electrical changes or additional aftermarket stereo equipment?

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
When I take vacation and the Focus sits for a week, I come back to a dead battery. Is this normal or is it time to replace the battery?

My car is early 2014 with little over 60k miles on original battery.
If it's the factory battery I'd say it's had a pretty good run. Probably time for a new one.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Age of battery? Any electrical changes or additional aftermarket stereo equipment?
The battery came with the car.

I have a wireless phone charger phone mount + Dash cam hardwired. Both turn on and off with the vehicle and were installed within months of getting the car in 2016.
I have Copp AP3 that is set to power off when the car turns off.

Most recent change would be installation of reverse camera which I'm powering using the power off the rear wiper assembly.

I've had this happen 3 times now in the past few years and the installation of the reverse camera was NOT before the first time the battery died.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's the factory battery I'd say it's had a pretty good run. Probably time for a new one.
Yessir, factory battery.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,422 Posts
Yessir, factory battery.
It's time for that to go.

Even though the AP is "OFF" by all appearances it is still contributing to the systems normal IOD (ignition off draw) that keep several systems active but in a suspended state.

Disconnect the AP whenever you plan to be away from the vehicle for more than overnight.

J

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's amazing battery life - I can barely get 2 years out of one here in hot and humid Florida.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you replace it yourself, make sure you reset the BMS battery age too. I think there's a combination of buttons/pedals that can reset it, but I know you can do it via FORSCAN for sure. Otherwise it won't charge it above 80%.

My car sat on a dealer lot for the first year of it's life which significantly shortened the life of my battery. I used a trickle charger when mine sat for a week to keep it charged but still died 2 years later.

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
If you replace it yourself, make sure you reset the BMS battery age too. I think there's a combination of buttons/pedals that can reset it, but I know you can do it via FORSCAN for sure. Otherwise it won't charge it above 80%.

My car sat on a dealer lot for the first year of it's life which significantly shortened the life of my battery. I used a trickle charger when mine sat for a week to keep it charged but still died 2 years later.
To reset the BMS manually...Steps 2-4 have to be done in 10 seconds...
1) turn on lights
2) ignition on but do not start engine
3) flash bright lights 5 times
4) step on brake pedal 3 times...wait...
5) engine light will flash 3 times
6) battery light will flash twice...your done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts