Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take vacation and the Focus sits for a week, I come back to a dead battery. Is this normal or is it time to replace the battery?

My car is early 2014 with little over 60k miles on original battery.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,972 Posts
Age of battery? Any electrical changes or additional aftermarket stereo equipment?

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
When I take vacation and the Focus sits for a week, I come back to a dead battery. Is this normal or is it time to replace the battery?

My car is early 2014 with little over 60k miles on original battery.
If it's the factory battery I'd say it's had a pretty good run. Probably time for a new one.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Age of battery? Any electrical changes or additional aftermarket stereo equipment?
The battery came with the car.

I have a wireless phone charger phone mount + Dash cam hardwired. Both turn on and off with the vehicle and were installed within months of getting the car in 2016.
I have Copp AP3 that is set to power off when the car turns off.

Most recent change would be installation of reverse camera which I'm powering using the power off the rear wiper assembly.

I've had this happen 3 times now in the past few years and the installation of the reverse camera was NOT before the first time the battery died.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's the factory battery I'd say it's had a pretty good run. Probably time for a new one.
Yessir, factory battery.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,972 Posts
Yessir, factory battery.
It's time for that to go.

Even though the AP is "OFF" by all appearances it is still contributing to the systems normal IOD (ignition off draw) that keep several systems active but in a suspended state.

Disconnect the AP whenever you plan to be away from the vehicle for more than overnight.

J

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,842 Posts
That's amazing battery life - I can barely get 2 years out of one here in hot and humid Florida.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you replace it yourself, make sure you reset the BMS battery age too. I think there's a combination of buttons/pedals that can reset it, but I know you can do it via FORSCAN for sure. Otherwise it won't charge it above 80%.

My car sat on a dealer lot for the first year of it's life which significantly shortened the life of my battery. I used a trickle charger when mine sat for a week to keep it charged but still died 2 years later.

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
If you replace it yourself, make sure you reset the BMS battery age too. I think there's a combination of buttons/pedals that can reset it, but I know you can do it via FORSCAN for sure. Otherwise it won't charge it above 80%.

My car sat on a dealer lot for the first year of it's life which significantly shortened the life of my battery. I used a trickle charger when mine sat for a week to keep it charged but still died 2 years later.
To reset the BMS manually...Steps 2-4 have to be done in 10 seconds...
1) turn on lights
2) ignition on but do not start engine
3) flash bright lights 5 times
4) step on brake pedal 3 times...wait...
5) engine light will flash 3 times
6) battery light will flash twice...your done

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm about to be replace mine, had OEM since purchase in 2017, almost 4 years going strong.
1) turn on lights
Does anyone have the proper BMS reset procedure when you are replacing a battery in a 2014 ST with an Intelligent Key fob/push start and no keyed ignition? I’m particularly interested in what to do at step 2 above in this instance.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
Does anyone have the proper BMS reset procedure when you are replacing a battery in a 2014 ST with an Intelligent Key fob/push start and no keyed ignition? I’m particularly interested in what to do at step 2 above in this instance.

Thanks.
Push the button without the clutch; car will go into accessory mode.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,436 Posts
1) turn on lights
Do you know if this works for all Fords? Reason I ask is because I'll likely have to replace the battery in my Transit 350 xlt this spring and I'll need to reset the BMS on it.

·
Administrator
12,662 Posts
1) turn on lights

WTF IS THIS WITCHCRAFT!!!

How the ****, did I not know this? I need to do it on my ST!!

Oh, and thanks...

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
Do you know if this works for all Fords? Reason I ask is because I'll likely have to replace the battery in my Transit 350 xlt this spring and I'll need to reset the BMS on it.
I don't know, but you can try it.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,604 Posts
More witchcraft here:

·
Administrator
12,662 Posts
More witchcraft here:
Im aware of that one, and turned off the belt minders. Darn passengers never wear belts, well, until we take the first turn, lol

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
@ddfred you're The man! Ill be doing this soon. I should have figured performing some sort of reset would be necessary on this car, just never heard it mentioned before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts