Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
OK I understand. Here we don't have to do annual or periodic tests. But if we get noticed by the police and they find defects then to get the defect notice removed from the vehicle we need to pass tests.

Gotcha. I chose to run a catted downpipe just so to the untrained eye it would appear as though I have an actual cat. And with the defouler my ECU says it's working. In hindsight I should have just save some money and went catless. And also for your other question. my 2 and 1/2 inch catback with the stock downpipe was completely droneless on the highway. Now the aftermarket downpipe there is definitely drone even at light throttle. I'm hoping some sound deadening in the floor of the hatch will get rid of some of it in the cabin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gotcha. I chose
Was replacing the DP worth the effort, beside a little drone did you notice better driving? Our ST is a daily driver and I am not sure whether I want a DP unless it will give better fuel economy driving sensibly around the burbs. Going from a 1.6L CRDi the fuel is gulped in the ST. Occasionally like to plant the foot but not around every corner.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
A dp will improve turbo response time a little bit, but will do nothing for you in terms of fuel economy.
And you can't really compare a 1.6 CRDi to the ST's 2.0.
Don't get me wrong, but if you're so concerned about fuel economy, the ST might not be the right car for you.

The ST is a great car and I really don't want to talk you out of it but it will take a sip if you do so much as even look on the loud pedal. And I think you will have to live with that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A dp will improve turbo response time a little bit, but will do nothing for you in terms of fuel economy.
And you can't really compare a 1.6 CRDi to the ST's 2.0.
Don't get me wrong, but if you're so concerned about fuel economy, the ST might not be the right car for you.

The ST is a great car and I really don't want to talk you out of it but it will take a sip if you do so much as even look on the loud pedal. And I think you will have to live with that.
I was comparing fuel consumption between the two vehicles that's all. I realise one is a turbo petrol sporty car and the other is a turbo diesel workhorse. The wife bought the car and you are correct it is not the right car for me, the daily fuel cost would out way my daily fuel (food) cost if I owned it.
I spoke to a local technician today who was very informative, so I have decided to go pick his brain tomorrow and get the answers to my q's.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I was comparing fuel consumption between the two vehicles that's all. I realise one is a turbo petrol sporty car and the other is a turbo diesel workhorse. The wife bought the car and you are correct it is not the right car for me, the daily fuel cost would out way my daily fuel (food) cost if I owned it.
I spoke to a local technician today who was very informative, so I have decided to go pick his brain tomorrow and get the answers to my q's.
Your wife has a good taste in cars though. :wink:
I hope that technician can answer your questions to your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I you need anything, just ask. There might be someone around here who knows what you want to know.
The only thing I can tell you right away, that, apart from weight reduction and skinnier and stiffer tires, you will most likely not find any mods that improve your fuel mileage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
you will most likely not find any mods that improve your fuel mileage.
I can live with that, something I don't want is for fuel consumption to increase a stupid amount under the same driving behaviour after adding mods. I do realise after mods if it is floored then it will drink the juice.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
you will most likely not find any mods that improve your fuel mileage.
I can live with that, something I don't want is for fuel consumption to increase a stupid amount under the same driving behaviour after adding mods. I do realise after mods if it is floored then it will drink the juice.

I'm in the process of a custom tune right now. But when I was running the Cobb OTS stage 3 tune my average was 26.5 mpg. And I drive like an ass most of the time. If I was on the Thruway or expressway I've seen as high as 42 MPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I'm in the process of a custom tune right now. But when I was running the Cobb OTS stage 3 tune my average was 26.5 mpg. And I drive like an ass most of the time. If I was on the Thruway or expressway I've seen as high as 42 MPG
ATM the cars display is reading about 9.5L per 100kms (30mpg), it has been a while since we have owned a petrol car, her previous car did 5.8L per 100kms (49mpg), a big divot in the weekly budget LOL. It is a great car and she is deserving of it, a happy wife makes for a happy life :)

EDIT: Just got back from visiting an engineer and his recommendation is to only add a CBE. He said to reduce the risk of the engine failing with mods I should address the flaws in the engine, to name a few the open deck, cast pistons, con rods and the small turbo. At the end of the day he said for all those $$$$ I may as well just bought a well engineered sports car.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
ATM the cars display is reading about 9.5L per 100kms (30mpg), it has been a while since we have owned a petrol car, her previous car did 5.8L per 100kms (49mpg), a big divot in the weekly budget LOL. It is a great car and she is deserving of it, a happy wife makes for a happy life :)
Sorry, but 9,5L/100 km is far from 30 mpg. It's 24,7 mpg, actually. 30 mg would be 7,8 L/100km. I'm usually sitting at 9,1L/100 km / 25,8 mpg.

EDIT: Just got back from visiting an engineer and his recommendation is to only add a CBE. He said to reduce the risk of the engine failing with mods I should address the flaws in the engine, to name a few the open deck, cast pistons, con rods and the small turbo. At the end of the day he said for all those $$$$ I may as well just bought a well engineered sports car.
Hah, if you adress all of these "issues", your fuel mileage will go right out of the window :D
And you don't need forged pistons or rods unless you're aiming for well above 350 whp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry, but 9,5L/100 km is far from 30 mpg. It's 24,7 mpg, actually. 30 mg would be 7,8 L/100km. I'm usually sitting at 9,1L/100 km / 25,8 mpg.

Hah, if you adress all of these "issues", your fuel mileage will go right out of the window :D
And you don't need forged pistons or rods unless you're aiming for well above 350 whp.
I just did the maths and my calculations are 100% correct.

Google search ST piston failure and it is a known fact that the pistons are known to fail and there was a recall on the RS for head gasket failure, they improved the RS piston. I think I will play it safe and skip the engine mods and just do the CBE. After all I just want a note from the rear end as it is totally lacking.
I don't know under what driving conditions engine failure will result, most likely not the way the wife drives :)

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I just did the maths and my calculations are 100% correct.
Erm.. okay. I think you might be using another unit than US miles per (US) gallon. Do you use imperial by chance?
US Gallon has 3,85 liter, Imperial gallon has 4,546.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I use metric we changed from old pounds, gallons, Fahrenheit ........ to the newer system back in 1966, thank God. I just Googled litres to gallons and that is how I got my calculations, it was most likely Imperial if not US.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My rear engine mount arrived today so pulled out the jacks and put her in. NVH is was really noticeable at first but after going for a spin it tamed slightly, just need to be patient and let it break in. Also ordered my exhaust, need to get myself some ramps now. Looking forward to its arrival.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My rear engine mount arrived today so pulled out the jacks and put her in. NVH is was really noticeable at first but after going for a spin it tamed slightly, just need to be patient and let it break in. Also ordered my exhaust, need to get myself some ramps now. Looking forward to its arrival.

you're going to need really long ramps. I found I can only use my ramps on the rear. I have to drive onto a block of wood just to get my low profile Jack up under the suspension. If you plan on working on your car lot I recommend looking into some steeda jacking rails. I think that's going to be my next purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Traction bar helped a little bit with the NVH from my CPE state 2 RMM. I am not sure if you can get them in Aus, but I love my Race Ramps. They're certainly more $$$ than your run of the mill ramps, but even lowered an inch I still have lots of clearance and not to mention they're light as hell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I managed to make a pair of extensions for my ramps and they work a treat. Had the metal at hand, an off cut from a previous job I did. The exhaust also arrived at the door today so off with the old and on with the new. With any luck I will have it done tomorrow evening.

EDIT: OK, so tomorrow evening has come and gone and it is now the day after and I managed to install the new Invidia Q300 to the car last night. It was a bit of a task getting the pipe over the rear wheel area but after some frustration I used a little force and it popped through.

Also a week after the RMM install the NVH is near nil.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts