Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

Is there a custom tune for the AP that will tighten up the steering of your ST3 when enabling sport mode? If so, has anyone done it and how do they like it? If not, can it be done?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Im surprised our tuner community has not done more with this feature. Ford Racing supposedly did this with the ST-R. Since we have electronic steering, It should just be a matter of an overall reduction of power going to the motor, giving a "firmer" feel. Maybe full voltage a parking lot speeds, slowly decreasing as speeds increase. Seems simple enough.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Im surprised our tuner community has not done more with this feature. Ford Racing supposedly did this with the ST-R. Since we have electronic steering, It should just be a matter of an overall reduction of power going to the motor, giving a "firmer" feel. Maybe full voltage a parking lot speeds, slowly decreasing as speeds increase. Seems simple enough.
Great point. Would love to know this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed - well hopefully someone within the tuner community will see this, not quite sure who to tag in the post though? I'd be willing to give it a shot to test out if the mapping was made!

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Yeah yeah, do it do it do it!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Mercedes does it on their passenger vehicles. Comfort mode, the steering is soft, sport mode the steering becomes really stiff. So this tech is done on other platforms fyi.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
This is not a "tuner," question. It's an issue for Cobb or similar to get into the steering module, decode it, and build support for it. So that THEN, an authorized tuner could make changes.

Even then, the liability of this level change vs an engine blowing up... I'm not sure they'd want to wade into. Imagine a programming error/bug and your steering locks up or just does a hard left, exit stage left into a barrier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not a "tuner," question. It's an issue for Cobb or similar to get into the steering module, decode it, and build support for it. So that THEN, an authorized tuner could make changes.

Even then, the liability of this level change vs an engine blowing up... I'm not sure they'd want to wade into. Imagine a programming error/bug and your steering locks up or just does a hard left, exit stage left into a barrier.
Your reasoning is very sound. Good point!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts