Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow everyone just purchased a 17 st3 have about 250 miles I noticed last nice a ticking on passenger side at idle. Is this a normal noise on these engines please help thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have a more exact location of the ticking noise? Is it loud enough to over come the radio on mild volume? Or can it be heard only in absolute silence?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Its normal dont worry.

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have 60k big turbo. Always had that noise. I've given up worrying about it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yea, I hate that sound. It's disheartening cause it sounds like there's a dang problem, sounds ghetto, and has no rhyme or reason to it. But like other have said...10,000 miles now and runs great. This is just my personal interjection so take it with a grain of salt like anything else on a forum, but I disagree with most of the "suggested" causes. Seems to me if it were a fuel pump, or injectors, or valve train, or A, B, or C, it would have a rhythm or a cycle, or a frequency or something to the sound. It would/should be repeatable or predictable. This sound has none of that. It's just a flippin ugly ass rattle.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ng-noise-idle-front-passenger-wheel-well.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying yea I was worried brand new car how can I insert a video clip so you guys can hear it sorry Farley new to this site thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
There quite a few cases of the Mustang Coyote engines with strange ticks too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had the same noise sitting at idle on both my ST's. Kinda like a small diesel engine would make. I have heard it is the direct fuel injectors or fuel pump. It doesn't sound like a performance car. More like my 43hp Deere tractor at idle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a rattling noise as well. I had a 2004 SVT Focus that sounded the same and was told it's the flywheel. Think they said it was a dual mass flywheel or something. Said it was normal. Before I found out I *****ed enough so that they replaced the transmission and the clutch. It still made the noise. That's when the techs said Ford told them it was a normal sound of the flywheel. If it breaks that's what the warranty is for.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I've had the same noise sitting at idle on both my ST's. Kinda like a small diesel engine would make. I have heard it is the direct fuel injectors or fuel pump. It doesn't sound like a performance car. More like my 43hp Deere tractor at idle.
More of the sleeper effect it is. ;P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts