Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 ST, I've been driving it for about 30k miles now with no unusual issues. I have recently accumulated a few symptoms all at the same time and they seem to be related. When taking off only when under load (up hill) there is a grinding sort of sound (almost feels and sounds and feels like brakes grabbing on drivers side). This sound is also present sometimes when accelerating hard, it lasts only a second or two and is always accompanied by a throttle surge for a second or two. When i'm having these issues sometimes my dash will also tell me to shift up to the gear that i'm already in (it doesn't feel like its coming out of gear). This has gotten very consistent in a short period of time. If it helps It kicks me off cruise control when the throttle goes up and will have this issue with or without ESC on. Just looking to get some advice on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure someone else will have a better response than me, but I have had my hill assist kick in and not release when starting on a hill. I used to like the feature, but the third time it kicked in and wouldn't let me drive, I turned it off. You could rule it out by turning it off.

If that isn't it, is your clutch slipping? It would make sense that it is thinking you are in a lower gear if it was slipping(a lot? not sure if there is a transmission position sensor or it is looking at RPM vrs Speed)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2013 ST, I've been driving it for about 30k miles now with no unusual issues. I have recently accumulated a few symptoms all at the same time and they seem to be related. When taking off only when under load (up hill) there is a grinding sort of sound (almost feels and sounds and feels like brakes grabbing on drivers side). This sound is also present sometimes when accelerating hard, it lasts only a second or two and is always accompanied by a throttle surge for a second or two. When i'm having these issues sometimes my dash will also tell me to shift up to the gear that i'm already in (it doesn't feel like its coming out of gear). This has gotten very consistent in a short period of time. If it helps It kicks me off cruise control when the throttle goes up and will have this issue with or without ESC on. Just looking to get some advice on the matter.

Thanks for reading.
I'm not sure if this your issue, but that's what my old Infiniti sedan did when the rear differential failed. It was progressive, so sometimes it worked normally but under load the gears would slip and the engine would rev, then they'd catch and it would all go back to normal.

That only lasted about 100 miles until catastrophic failure, though.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts

Thanks for reading.
A competent person needs to get in there and inspect/test your drivetrain, brakes, and suspension components.

The whole "my car is making this sound" and similar talk will get us nowhere.

Proper troubleshooting leads to proper diagnosis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts