Ford Focus ST Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
I just re-read through some Accesstuner documents and you should be able to see.
ETC angle desired & actual
Throttle position sensor voltage for 1 & 2
On the AccessPort

Reactions: Habriant40

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,334 Posts
I've had residual voltage from the PCM on sensing wires send me on wild goose chases before.

You need to plug the throttle body in and backprobe and see what it's reading then key on.

Don't stick your finger near that plate though. That thing could damn near cut your finger off if it decided to cycle.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
1,011 Posts
I just re-read through some Accesstuner documents and you should be able to see.
ETC angle desired & actual
Throttle position sensor voltage for 1 & 2
On the AccessPort
No option for TPS voltage 1 & 2 on AP or in accesstuner.
ETC angle desired: 8.00
ETC angle actual: 82.25
ETC angle source: 150

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
I just checked (and got bitched at) my AP and ETC angle desired and actual is all it will show. If may be a selectable PID to monitor in the Accesstuner software but she was pissed enough that I'm outside screwing with the car in my neck brace I wasn't going to chance it.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Pattern Number

And they only let you monitor APP1 voltage and APP % which to me kinda lazy...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
No option for TPS voltage 1 & 2 on AP or in accesstuner.
ETC angle desired: 8.00
ETC angle actual: 82.25
ETC angle source: 150
82.25 is WOT? And just a bit over at that. I thought that 82% was maximum but I guess that .25 isn't too much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
But something is definitely wrong. If it's showing WOT when it should be closed to 8.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
I'm still leaning towards either a short to voltage or bad PCM. You're correct that you shouldn't see voltage at Pin 6 with the TB unplugged

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I just checked (and got bitched at) my AP and ETC angle desired and actual is all it will show. If may be a selectable PID to monitor in the Accesstuner software but she was pissed enough that I'm outside screwing with the car in my neck brace I wasn't going to chance it.

And they only let you monitor APP1 voltage and APP % which to me kinda lazy...
Many thanks. I'm sure its not easy to do anything with a neck brace on

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
Many thanks. I'm sure its not easy to do anything with a neck brace on
What's she going to do make me sleep in the recliner? TOO LATE! LMFAO!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
Gesture Rectangle Font Wood Plant

But seriously, and you're going to F-ing hate me for this but you're going to need to get as close (6 or so inches away from the PCM and cut PCM Pin 81 (Green Violet). Just leave yourself enough room to repair is what I'm getting at.

Throttle body plugged in.

If your ETC angle actual drops to 0 and you are still reading 4.8 on the harness side your shorted to VREF somewhere in the harness.

If your ETC angle actual remains at 82.25% (WOT) and voltage is different (keep mind it still may be high if it truly is the high side
sensor so don't freak out if it is) then you're likely dealing with a bad PCM.

I know it's kinda a hail Mary but it's the quickest way to eliminate the fault.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
But seriously, and you're going to F-ing hate me for this but you're going to need to get as close (6 or so inches away from the PCM and cut PCM Pin 81 (Green Violet). Just leave yourself enough room to repair is what I'm getting at.

Throttle body plugged in.

If your ETC angle actual drops to 0 and you are still reading 4.8 on the harness side your shorted to VREF somewhere in the harness.

If your ETC angle actual remains at 82.25% (WOT) and voltage is different (keep mind it still may be high if it truly is the high side
sensor so don't freak out if it is) then you're likely dealing with a bad PCM.

I know it's kinda a hail Mary but it's the quickest way to eliminate the fault.
No worries getting sample from there. That's where I started the new line for the Pin 6 anyway.

Just tried it out.
with the DMM on the TB side of the cut, I see 0 volts (+/-0.005v when it tries to flutter). On the PCM side of the cut I see 4.8v.
Dont ask what I used for a (-) common.:whistle:

angle actual still reading 82.25% inside the car.
This doesn't change between PCM's. (VIN match seemingly not required to test throttle)

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Just tried it out.
Not sure if this outcome fits one of the two you described @SSgtjrobertson

Thinking the Pin 6 should see a ground on the other side of the PCM once the PCM is done with the circuit.
I plan on checking the BJB connector to the PCM connector LE424 (YE-GN) POWERTRAIN # VOLTAGE REFERENCE COWL (VREF).

I've checked several of the other ground pins on the PCM harness, but its looking like I need to take an ordered approach. Starting with cowl VREF, and taking suggestions. Recall splices are freshly done on workbench. (whoever did them before did it in the car and was very sloppy).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
Okay so after getting you @Habriant40 the additional diagrams I decided to look at the pinout descriptions.

PCM Pin 6 TP1 (negative slope)
= 4.75 VDC at rest and decreases to less than 1 VDC at WOT (82% ETC)

PCM Pin 81 TP2 (positive slope)
= 1 VDC at rest and increases to 4.75 VDC at WOT (82% ETC)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
Font Material property Parallel Paper Number

Office equipment Red Gadget Tool Electric blue

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Here is a nice collected document of all relevant info. Problem is somewhere in these pages.
Looking at it with perspective that TB is fine, TB wiring is fine, PCM is fine (not rigid to this idea, but for now).
Thinking the pre/post PCM wiring for this circuit has something wrong.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
I know you've checked power and resistance but have you checked that continuity from the connector pinouts to the pcm are correct?
1 to 74, 2 to 50, etc...

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I know you've checked power and resistance but have you checked that continuity from the connector pinouts to the pcm are correct?
1 to 74, 2 to 50, etc...
I can again, but yes. Everything from TB to PCM pins has been examined many times many ways.
First thing I did was continuity. beeped fine.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I'm trying to back work where the PCM discharges the TP2 circuit. Like once it sees an analog value back from the sensor (which is being properly powered by ETCREF and ETCRTN), how does that analog voltage value discharge? has to ground somewhere. some RTN somewhere..

Wherever its supposed to discharge, there is a nice chance that there is 4.8v on that wire.
It definitely does not discharge to ETCRTN - that tested at an appropriate near 0v value.

My suspects are:
  • RE454 (YE-GN) - PCM # SIGNAL RETURN ENGINE #2 [ FRP ] [ ECT ] [ MAP ] [ CHT ]
  • RE405 (GN-WH) - PCM # SIGNAL RETURN ENINGE (E-SIGNRTN)(SIGRTN-A) [ Crank sensor] [ Cam sensors ]
  • RE136 (VT-GN) - PCM # APP SENSOR 1 (APPRTN1)
  • RE137 (YE-GN) - PCM# APP SENSOR 2 (APPRTN2)
  • RE407 (YE-VT) - PCM # SIGNAL RETURN COWL (C-SIGRTN) [Lowside Fuel Pres.] [ AC pres. ]
Notes: These are not the sensor data lines, they are the discharge lines for the sensor power.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Maybe try continuity test from TB side and check all pins on the pcm side see if you find a pin that shouldn't have continuity?

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Maybe try continuity test from TB side and check all pins on the pcm side see if you find a pin that shouldn't have continuity?
From the TP2 (pin 6 of TB) to the PCM, there is a brand new wire. It tests well.

I think what you're saying is to test from the TP2 (pin 6 of the TB) with the PCM plugged in. and then go to each of the locations of interest and see if I get continuity. Right?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts