Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to check in with the Ford Focus ST community on a recent issue to see if this might be wide spread.

Have a 2013 Focus ST with 55k that I bought new in 2013, which is fairly stock except for a Mishimoto oil catch can.
Lately I have gotten check engine warnings, and when this happens, the car runs like dog do with no throttle response.
Code scan indicates a P2135 code, which indicates a mismatch between the two throttle position sensors. Turning the car off for about 10 seconds cleared the issue. Limped thru the fall with this happening every 2 weeks or so. Not thinking I would be covered under warranty, initially, I took the throttle body out and cleaned everything as there was a little bit of oil in the intake track. This did not fix anything. After consulting on this forum you guys reminded me that the power train is covered to 60K so I brought the car to my local dealer, under the assumption that things would be covered under the power train warranty that is supposed to cover things to 60K. According to them, no code, (but I had one when I scanned things). They re-programed the PCM, and said I was good to go. A week later, same issue, but given that I don't think they took me seriously last time, I videoed the event, along with the code scan indicating the P2135 code..... so back to the dealer. This time they said my throttle body was faulty, but the tune changed and they said that Ford would not cover the throttle body as part of the powertrain warranty. Unfortunately we were in a major cold snap here in RI and I need the car, so I just said do the work, and I would file an appeal with Ford.
$600.00 dollars later, new throttle body (This hurts because I know from doing this, you can drop the throttle body in and out in relatively short order.)
Two days into my new throttle body, and bingo, same check engine, and same P2135 code. (Coincidently always coincides with the Bruins playing on the radio?) Code and message varies. Sometimes, you can directly read the 2135 code without powering anything just plugging in the code reader. Other times you need to power the car (acc mode) to get the code out. (This seems funny to me)

I have read that Ford has had issues with throttle bodies on other cars, but have not read about any issues with the Focus ST.

Is anyone out there having similar issues with their throttle bodies? Any ideas on other equipment that would trip the P2135 code. I am really not to eager to go back to the dealer with an open ended mission so looking for any advice from some of the members at large. Also, can't stop listening tot he B's...they are having a good season. :wink:

BR
Giff

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Hey Giff,

Can't help you with your code issue unfortunately, but I wish you a whole lot of luck. I'm a Rhode Islander born and bred who recently moved over the border to Blackstone, MA. I'm curious, what dealership have you been working with?

PS. Go Bruins, Pats and Celts. Too bad the Sox are going the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This doesn't help you, but my work car (1.6l Ecoboost Escape) had the throttle body replaced recently. Just over 40k on the odometer.

It didn't suffer from a lack of throttle response, but rather a constantly open throttle whenever in drive which caused the idle speed to be like 12mph. After a while, it killed the passenger side motor mount and after that it eventually threw a check engine light. I wasn't the one who took it in for the CEL but when it came back, the throttle body was replaced and after some brief internet searching, I found what you found- it seems like it's a thing that happens with ecoboosts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
First think it to go back and tell them blindly swapping parts is not OK by you.
That you want your money back (or at least all the profit) for the last useless repair or you will complain to the BBB.
The part charge is at least 50% more like 60% refundable. And they owe you the labor too.

IMO the most likely source of an issue is wiring....
Somewhere the wires are perhaps wearing through and intermittently shorting momentarily.
Thus throwing the computer into madness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BCE22-

Bought car from Qirk, because the dea was too good to pass up. Since then bought an Escape (with the 2.0 Eco of course) from my wife also from Qirk. Their online website is easiest to deal with and the deals are pretty good. For service, I used Tasca in Cranston RI which is the closet to my house. They seemed pretty good, but am a bit disappointed with the misdiagnosis. I would have bought my car from Tasca, but were very inflexible on price, while Quirk was ready to deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AK2112-
Love the Eco boost, bought my wife an Escape(2015) with the same 2.0 engine....but something is going on here. The irony is that I work for a company that makes sensors for the automotive industry. Ford is one of our big customers. Not sure who makes the throttle body, but I plan to fin out.
BR
Giff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E.E.-

I am with you...just hate to have to fight to get good work.

Wireing harness seems likely. I already had one recall on the harness. As I mentioned to AK2112, I work for a big supplier of sensors for the auto industry, which includes Ford. I cannot tell you how many sensors we get back where our diagnosis is NTF....indicating only possible cause was something in the vehicle. Intermitancy from connectors and wireing are always high on the suspect list...but awful hard to prove. Hope I don't get into a stalemate battle here.

BR
Giff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts