Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, December 31st, 2016 was my three year anniversary with the car. I've decided to write this post as kind of a lessons learned/what to expect for those who are now browsing. For the most part, the car has been a blast to own.

I picked up my car from Titus-Will Ford in Tacoma, WA at about 8PM on New Year's Eve of 2013. I wasn't planning on getting the car, but I had eventually found my way to it. You see, four months before I got the car, I was getting an oil change on my current vehicle and was offered a test drive in the ST. I was really skeptical of it because it was a Focus and was the wrong wheel drive. Well, I had taken the drive anyways, and I thoroughly enjoyed. Now, back to New Year's Eve.

I had received some stupid piece of mail to "Win a Car" from a local Chevy dealership. I thought, "What the Hell, let's see if this works." So, I went to the Chevy Dealership and tried my luck. No free car for me. However, they got their claws in me, and I started to look at their used cars. They put me in a bunch of things, but they kind of got my attention on a G35. It was a great little car, and I thought I would get away with a great price. I was wrong. They threw out a $36,000 price tag for a 60,000+ mile, 3 year old G35. I wasn't biting, but still listening. Where they lost me as a potential customer was the part where they wanted me to get a loan for more than I could afford and use my income tax check every year to fill in the gaps where my normal paycheck couldn't cover...for the next eight years. So, I was done there. By the way, don't go to Baydo Chevrolet in Roy/Yelm, WA. This is what they do.

Anyways, the one thing that they did do for me was help me realize that a cheaper car could be affordable for me. This is when I remembered the ST. I recalled seeing a brand new Tangerine Scream ST at the dealership for just over 24k. This is when I had the epiphany. I called Titus-Will Ford up ahead of time and said, "I've got a car I want to trade in, but I'll only buy your ST if you meet this budget and get me out of your office with it by 8 o'clock." Summary of the deal, I got it. Here is the first photo that I had taken of the car:

ST First Photo.jpg

The car was great for the first few months that I drove it. I got some Autocross out of it, which I enjoyed a hell of a lot. I also got a ticket in it for 77mph in a 50mph zone. No problem. Unfortunately, I had to put the car on blocks in April 2014 because I was deploying and nobody would be driving the car.

Fast forward to December 2014. Got my car off the blocks, gave it a fresh oil change, and I got going. Couldn't really push it in the winter, but I did what I could. I remember that January was the first time that I got laughed at for having a car that "sounded like a Prius". It was a pretty funny day. The comment also came from a Subie owner, so there is that as well.

Spring time and Summer came around, and I had learned over time that the Tangerine Scream color of this car was not a means of repulsion of other drivers around you, but was actually a means to get into many accidents. Insert dashcam here. I'd gotten involved with the local northwest ST car group by this point and started going to events and did more Autocross. It was a good time. Here are some of the clips:

I ended up finishing the summer kind of getting turned off by how the ST group was going at the moment and how car guys around here were starting to act, so I quietly removed myself from all things car community related and just went on with life. Even the stickers went away.

Fast forward to this past year. Two accidents last year. Not a big deal, but learning points nonetheless. First one was a simple parking lot fender bender. We back into each other. What I learned was that you NEVER EVER move your car when you have an accident unless you are endangering people (We moved our cars because we were blocking large vehicle traffic). I was 95% out of my parking spot and he was maybe halfway out of his spot when we collided. I didn't even see him until it was too late. Anyways, the cops fined us both, making me liable for half my deductible and now paying out the ass for insurance over a less than 5mph accident. The picture below will show the accident. The crack in front of my rear tire is the center of the parking lot.

IMG_0165.JPG

The second accident was in a traffic circle. I was in the traffic circle when a vehicle tried to sneak in front of me, but didn't make it. I made my dashcam video exclusive to a person's channel, so here it is:

My clip is 7:05 to 7:39.

Here's the photos of the minor damage.

MyCarPhoto1.png.jpg MyCarPhoto2.png.jpg MyCarPhoto3.png.jpg MyCarPhoto4.png.jpg

I was not found at fault. My car also received damage from the mechanic that was doing work on it when they backed it into a pole, but I don't have those photos right now, and it was extremely minor.

I also received one of the most bogus tickets in the world this past year in the ST. So, I was on my way home on a day off in the middle of the day when I turned onto this really straight and long street that was five lanes wide. Ahead of me about half a mile was a bus that was preparing to stop to let off kids. I had its yellow lights on when I first saw it. So, I get into the left lane because I know the right lane ends just past the bus, but I never go more than 25mph in the 40mph zone because of the school bus. I watched it stop, and I kept creeping up on it, waiting for the lights to turn red or for the bus to just move forward, but I got nothing. That is, until I got right at the back door. The bus driver flipped his lights on with no time for me to stop, and the camera on the bus had taken my picture. Normally, I would have just stopped, but I've never seen a bus just stop with yellow on for that long, so I had started to question the driver's reasoning for stopping. This is why I didn't stop right away when I got closer to the bus. I always try and do my best to keep kids safe in and around cars, to include whenever my child is in the car. Anyways, I fought the ticket to no success. $400 right out of the window. Moral of that part of the story is if you see a bus doing anything other than the speed limit, stop. (Side note: another couple was in court with me for the same type of thing and they didn't even get yellow lights and still had to pay. This school district are a bunch of thieves)

So, to say that 2016 was a bad year for the car would be a bit of an understatement.

Anyways, 2017 rolls around and it's was now time for new tires and brakes. I made it through a bunch of Autocross and general Tom Foolery with the stock tires and brakes and got 25,000+ miles out of them. I consider that success.

Things that I've discovered as quirks over the years...

Passenger door sticks
Sync screen random dims and brightens at its own will for unknown reasons and can't be fixed

Issues that needed fixed (other than the accidents)

Engine leaking oil, seals replaced

Upgrades over the years

Eibach Sportline Springs
15mm front spacers and 20mm rear spacers
Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

So, over the past three years, I've had plenty of ups and downs with this car. What my verdict for the car? Well, I'd say that it is the perfect daily driver. It hauls what most people want to carry in their cars, it is fun to drive and fast enough, and it gets pretty decent mileage for a peppy little four cylinder turbo. If you want a car that is cheap to buy, but fun to use and not break the bank, get the car. If you have the means for a better car, get it.

Last thing, the haters are gonna hate. All the other four cylinder car owners will recite facts as to why their cars are better, the muscle cars will see you as an inferior that should never be at a car show or event, the Subie owners will complain to you that it would be better if it were AWD, the German car owners will just generally be D-bags anyways, and the regular people will just roll their eyes at you for owning a stupid Focus, but if you buy this car, it is for you and you alone to enjoy. Nobody will get it as much as you do.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm at three years too. At 45k miles, second set of tires at 28k. I'm wondering how long the brakes last?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm at three years too. At 45k miles, second set of tires at 28k. I'm wondering how long the brakes last?
Well, I hate to be the guy that says this bull sh!t, but it really kind of depends on how you drive. I did Autocross a handful of times and I don't use the engine to slow down, so my brakes probably wore out a little faster than most. If you just use yours as a daily only, I wouldn't be surprised to see about 35,000 out of a set of pads.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm kind of curious about brake life, too. I have 22k on the ST so far and my SE's pads made it to about 130k (rotors were shot by then, too, but not from grinding). I don't expect the ST pads to make it that far.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, I hate to be the guy that says this bull sh!t, but it really kind of depends on how you drive. I did Autocross a handful of times and I don't use the engine to slow down, so my brakes probably wore out a little faster than most. If you just use yours as a daily only, I wouldn't be surprised to see about 35,000 out of a set of pads.
I avg about 20k a year so I'll find out how quickly I get through pads in the Focus, but It would take me over 100k to go through a set of pads with my Crown Victoria, my Suzuki SV-650 still has original pads with 48k miles (measured out to 3mm last month). So it's not like I don't drive/ride. We will see though, I'll be doing canyon tours at least twice monthly once we get back into spring. But I wont be doing any autocross or super aggressive driving.

I bet that the pads will hold up to at least 50k with for him based on what he said he has done so far.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm at over 40K on mine.....need to do a visual soon but have been surprised that they've held up so far. I had assumed the torque vectoring set up would eat them up faster than "normal" but that's not been the case for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice post! I've had my ST since October, so I look forward to many enjoyable years with the car.

Also, the Subaru community has gone down hill over the last few years. Before my ST, I owned a two WRXs over 12 years. Many of the most vocal members of the community think Subaru is God's gift to the car world. For me, the ST is just as good of a daily as any WRX and can be just as much fun.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice post! I've had my ST since October, so I look forward to many enjoyable years with the car.

Also, the Subaru community has gone down hill over the last few years. Before my ST, I owned a two WRXs over 12 years. Many of the most vocal members of the community think Subaru is God's gift to the car world. For me, the ST is just as good of a daily as any WRX and can be just as much fun.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Oh, how true your statements are. I've kind of steered away from other ST owners for the past year or so now because they are ricing (yes, rice) their cars and get all butt hurt about it when you mention it. That, and they immediately try to come back at me for not doing much to mine. It is what it is.

On a better note though. If you have any winding roads around you, feel free to open her up a bit. The car is pleasing around then bends. Just don't get too crazy like I did. My first ticket in the thing was on a country road around a blind corner. State troopers will get you, man.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Great write up. Interesting you mention rice... I just picked up a turbosmart dual bov and I am on the fence as to install or swap it out for a recirculating type unit. I don't want my build to include rice in the ingredients.

Sending dome good karma your way for 2017. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Great write up. Interesting you mention rice... I just picked up a turbosmart dual bov and I am on the fence as to install or swap it out for a recirculating type unit. I don't want my build to include rice in the ingredients.

Sending dome good karma your way for 2017. Take care.
I have never at any point considered a blow off to be rice...even though it's in The Fast and the Furious lol. Instead of recirculating the air it just vents it, isn't necessarily for appeal. If that was the case then why do Big Turbo guys have to have an exhale kit? You're fine with the BOV, just don't put a wing on it a foot high

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have never at any point considered a blow off to be rice...even though it's in The Fast and the Furious lol. Instead of recirculating the air it just vents it, isn't necessarily for appeal. If that was the case then why do Big Turbo guys have to have an exhale kit? You're fine with the BOV, just don't put a wing on it a foot high
Thanks Brian. I originally thought the sound of the turbo venting would be neat, but am a little concerned it may get annoying over time, especially in stop and go traffic. Guess I will just put it on and see how I like it. I was more concerned about it annoying my GF being under her feet... But she was like, why don't you just try it since you bought it, you might get used to it.. :shocked:

Not to jack the thread but quick question. Im at sea level so I should set it at hard setting correct? also does hard make it less prone to venting and make it less chatty than soft? Thx

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks Brian. I originally thought the sound of the turbo venting would be neat, but am a little concerned it may get annoying over time, especially in stop and go traffic. Guess I will just put it on and see how I like it. I was more concerned about it annoying my GF being under her feet... But she was like, why don't you just try it since you bought it, you might get used to it.. :shocked:

Not to jack the thread but quick question. Im at sea level so I should set it at hard setting correct? also does hard make it less prone to venting and make it less chatty than soft? Thx
Can't comment on the hard setting question for I don't know, but honestly I love mine and my Boomba is MUCH louder than yours will be. Turn the music up above 30% and you hardly hear it without driving spirited, so yours will surly be avoidable should you not wish to hear it with some music. If you don't like to turn heads then you'll be disappointed because people will definitely turn their head and look when they hear it. My girlfriend at first rolled her eyes because it puts a smile on my face and she treated it like any other car part she doesn't care to understand hahaha. She doesn't mind it at all though unless I hit it going through town 14 times breaking everyones' neck.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm kind of curious about brake life, too. I have 22k on the ST so far and my SE's pads made it to about 130k (rotors were shot by then, too, but not from grinding). I don't expect the ST pads to make it that far.
Daily driver, 2013, with 54K on the stock pads and rotors. Expecting I will change them in the Spring by the looks of them.

Mark

·
Registered
979 Posts
Daily driver, 2013, with 54K on the stock pads and rotors. Expecting I will change them in the Spring by the looks of them.

Mark
I am at 40K and a little over 1/2 pads left mix of DD and probably 10K in road trip miles. I am really easy on brakes and have not tracked the car yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
- 2014 Yr Model - bought used in 2015 - car is a DD with 63K miles on it currently
- Stock rotors and pads (front pads have been replaced by me, the previous owner did replace the rotors and pads once as well I think)
- Car came with all the Ford Racing stuff in my sig
- I added the rear Strano Motorsports sway bar as well as the CX Racing FMIC
- 1 HPDE weekend at NJMP in 2016
- Super ATE TYP 200 brake fluid in the car
- MOTUL - transmission fluid in the car
- Shell Rotella 5w40 oil flushes
- I have changed the front strut mounts due to creaking

My previous two cars were an E36 M3 and an E36 M3 - both were also DD. I maintain all my cars, unless there is something that I am unable to take care of and needs a lift to accomplish. I have to say, this car is right up there in the FUN/JOY factor and the best part is how cheap the maintenance has been, the parts are cheap compared to the German cars/European cars, the MPG is decent, its a point and shoot car, and thoroughly enjoyable!

Plan in 2017 (if time permits) is to attend atleast 2 HPDE's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts