Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I'll be purchasing a set of tires for autocross shortly and I'm trying to decide between the RS4 and the RE71R that everyone seems to like. I'm new to AutoX and I need a setup to replace the all season tires that came with the car so I'm trying to choose a 17 inch setup that will serve me well. I'm not necessarily looking for the setup that will produce the fastest times, as the driver I'll likely be the limiting factor, not the tires. Car is completely stock for now and I'll be running in GS.

From what I've been able to find it seems like the RS4 might last a bit longer whereas the RE71R will have a bit more grip to start with and throughout its useful life. Anyone have any personal experience with both or heard input from others who have run them?

Also, I'm trying to decide between the stock 235 width and 245 and 255. 255 seems massive for an 8" wheel. Are there any downsides to running a tire that wide? Any issues with fender clearance/rubbing?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey All, I'll be purchasing a set of tires for autocross shortly and I'm trying to decide between the RS4 and the RE71R that everyone seems to like. I'm new to AutoX and I need a setup to replace the all season tires that came with the car so I'm trying to choose a 17 inch setup that will serve me well. I'm not necessarily looking for the setup that will produce the fastest times, as the driver I'll likely be the limiting factor, not the tires. Car is completely stock for now and I'll be running in GS.

From what I've been able to find it seems like the RS4 might last a bit longer whereas the RE71R will have a bit more grip to start with and throughout its useful life. Anyone have any personal experience with both or heard input from others who have run them?

Also, I'm trying to decide between the stock 235 width and 245 and 255. 255 seems massive for an 8" wheel. Are there any downsides to running a tire that wide? Any issues with fender clearance/rubbing?
For the Goodyears that come on the car, my experience with Goodyear is that for whatever reason they run a size larger than what is on the label. A 235 is more closer to a 245.

Some of the guys with the 17 inch setups will chime in here shortly but yeah 255/40/17's will be your option for trying to stay "stock" enough to run in GS. Just a matter of finding the right rim with the right offset unless you want to or have to run in some other class due to modifications.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, good to know. I wasn't aware that the Goodyears ran a bit on the large side. I'll be going with the Moda MD18 w/ 48mm offset. I think this is a fairly common choice, so I assume this would fit with no rubbing with a 255?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'll be going with the Moda MD18 w/ 48mm offset. I think this is a fairly common choice, so I assume this would fit with no rubbing with a 255?
That's why I said some of the other guys will chime in. I'm learning to figure this out myself.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
IM running a set of 17" moda with the correct offset legal for GS. 255/40/17 re71r, no rubbing whatsoever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay great to hear. Looks like the 255 RE71 is out of stock at Tire Rack so if 255 is what's recommended it looks like I'll be going for the RS4. Anyone know whether the Hankooks tend to run small or large? Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Okay great to hear. Looks like the 255 RE71 is out of stock at Tire Rack so if 255 is what's recommended it looks like I'll be going for the RS4. Anyone know whether the Hankooks tend to run small or large? Thanks again for the help!
Theres a reason they are out, its a great tire. I would wait if you could. I have had kuhmos, star specs, pss, and these bridegestones have really been my favorite so far. The turn in feels sharp, considering your stuffing a taller sidewall tire than stock. Even so the sidewalls on these are not as stiff as say star specs. Mounting these tires was much easier than a set of PSS or star specs as well. I do my own work so thats definately a plus in my book.
Hankook makes some good tires, but from my experience I would never run them unless I really have to. Just like the ecstas I have used, they seem to be designed with an over cured compound that after half a race season or so, or about a year of daily driving, the compound will harden up you will notice the tire get really loud. Thats just my expereince, ymmv.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, thanks for the input. Waiting isn't really an option since I have an event on the 17th. It's either the 235 RE71s or the 255 RS4s now.

I'm a bit surprised you weren't to happy with the Hankooks. May I ask what tire this was? Generally the RS3s were considered to be in the top of their class only to be edged out by the RE71 for AutoX when it came out. From my research a lot of the track guys still liked the RS3 over the RE71 since things like wear rate and heat, chunking, etc come into play during the longer lapping sessions. Most of this is coming from my research on the E46 M3 platform though, which is a bit of a different beast. That being said I've heard some negative stuff about other Hankooks such as the V12 and it seems like the RS3 was really the only one held in very high regard. I'm assuming that will translate to the RS4 but there is not a whole lot of info other there yet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I saw a pretty good review of the RS4 by 949 racing (pretty sure it was them). The takeaways were RS4 is a great 'legit' 200 tread wear tire, not quite as sticky as the RE71 or other 'cheater' tires, but wore a lot better and handled track heat better. I think in their test it was on a road course, not autocross. I have a feeling the RS4 might be preferred for open lapping on track days for better wear and consistent performance, vs RE71 should still be a rockstar at autocross or a 1 lap wonder on the track.

So it probably depends what your goals are and if you'll be driving on this tire every day or just at autocross events.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did consider the Rival S as well, but Tire Rack didn't have it in any of the sizes I was considering. I ended up ordering the 235 RE71R rather than the 255 RS4 since I wasn't sure about fitment of the larger RS4 on the 8" wheel. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'll report back after I run them at my first event in a week. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did consider the Rival S as well, but Tire Rack didn't have it in any of the sizes I was considering. I ended up ordering the 235 RE71R rather than the 255 RS4 since I wasn't sure about fitment of the larger RS4 on the 8" wheel. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'll report back after I run them at my first event in a week. Thanks for the input guys!
I have 225 RE71Rs on mine.. ran it this weekend at an autocross, I had herculean amounts of grip..... I was pulling the inner rear tire up 6-8 inches around corners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had trouble finding tires last year when I needed to replace Bridgestones 2 mid season, I ended up getting the 245/45/17 and honestly could not tell they had any more roll over than the 40 series tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For folks worried about the 255/40/17 RE-71R being out of stock, I ran a 245/40/17 most of last year, including Solo Nationals, with good results.

For the OP, plan to rotate frequently front to rear, then flip each tire on the rim after about 50-60 runs (half life) to maximize useful life of the tire.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just flipped at around 60 runs on my RE-71Rs which seems to be pretty typical. As far as rotating frequently from front to rear, I rotate mine for even wear, but a guy in my club doesn't rotate his and instead buys them in sets of 2. When the fronts are done, he moves the rears forwards and gets new rears. When it rains, he runs the rears up front because they are the ones with the deep sipes. Seems like that might be a good strategy because my rears barely wear at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1.5S lack grip compared to the 71R's in my experience.

It was a bit sad, but luckily they weren't my own tires and wheels.

The 71R's are nice in stock size or even 245's. Running on 17's with a 1" smaller overall diameter was actually kind of amazing with Enkei's 16lbs wheels. I dropped an overall 12lbs in each corner going from 18" OEM wheels + 71R's to 17" with -1" overall OD with Eknei's +71R's. The gearing advantage was hellacious fun and got me rocketing out of corners with insane levels of grip. Inside rear wheel lifted in every single corner, and I could rotate through slaloms with very little effort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just in case anyone needs a set of wheels I have a set of Moda md18s (GS legal 17x8) available. They have a dead set of re71rs on them and I would be willing to ship at buyers expense (I am in NM). $320obo

Mods feel free to delete post if not allowed just trying to get the people that might have best use for the wheels and drive up some traffic for this sub forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts