Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to this car/forum but not new to cars in general.

picked up a CPO 2017 focus st1 and i love most of it but hate the stereo. to be fair i hated the seats and the stereo in the st2 and st3 so i figured why spend the extra money?

anyways, it's been a while since i did any audio upgrades so i wanted to run my future setup passed experienced folks

here's my thoughts on audio upgrade:

audiocontrol lc2i
jbl gto609c
some sort of 150w x 2 amp (pioneer seems to have a decent one for cheap with the GM-A5702, maybe a massive audio ex2???)
fatmat/dynamat/second skin for the doors
stock rear speakers still powered by stock radio for ambiance

in hatch:
soundqubed HDS3.112 dual 2 ohm(conveniently went on sale today)
soundqubed q1-1200.2 amp (wired to 1 ohm) (also on sale)
2 cubic foot box (hopefully birch if i can find it, if not ill get MDF) tuned to around 35hz
small/medium gel cell battery
biggest sized amp cable i can run without drilling holes in things, probably 4awg.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
doesn't sound too bad of a setup for the price, only a couple of issues I would think about.

first that pioneer amp is a lot of power for those speakers, so you have be very careful and keep it turned down. those speakers are rated at 90w RMS and that amp puts out 150wx2 @ 4 ohm and 240wx2 @ 2 ohm. those speaker have a 3 ohm impedance so the pioneer would be outputting somewhere in between those power outputs.

also if you plan to run 4awg wire, you will need to run two separate runs to deliver enough current for both the amps. and then its a little overkill for the pioneer (2x 30 amp fuses for 60A total) and a little under for what that SQ amp should get (3x40 fuses for 120a total). you would be better off running a single 2awg or 0awg wire back to a distribution block. this is assuming of course that both amps are accurately rated. usually when amps are bullsh!t rated, the fuses tell the truth like a 1kw amp with a single 30 amp fuse... also if you don't plan drilling a hole for the wire on the drivers side, you will need longer wire (which adds more resistance and voltage drop) to run over to the passanged side where you can sneak a fat wire through the rubber boot where the main harness goes through.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well christmas came early! made a few changes (switched to hertz DSK 165.3 and a RF amp to power them)

got a custom sub box (2 ft, kerf port, 33hz) on it's way.

now to wire up the entire thing....

pics coming soon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where do you plan to put the 2-channel amp for the fronts?

Would love to upgrade the front speakers in mind, but I feel like it's not really worth it without an amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts