Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I second that for the California house prices. I have friends looking for a house right now. We are 50 miles east of LA. Houses in decent neighborhoods/schools and 2000+sq' can't be touched for less than $1 million. A house will list for 900k, and within 24 hours people are bidding 1.25 million. It's nuts. 7 years ago we paid 500k and our property value has doubled. We could not touch our house if we had to buy today. Plus local family businesses are going under because they can't find anyone to hire. No one is taking entry level jobs. No one is applying, even with a $15 min/wage. Plus prices of materials and food goods has nearly doubled in the last two years. Honestly, those who have money are scooping everything up in a frenzy and those who don't are struggling to get by. This can't be sustained and the economy is going to POP! It won't be pretty. It's just a question of when...
Meanwhile, Huntsville. ;) Cost of living is rising, but so are average wages. Most folks here can afford to live on minimum wage (which is unofficially around $13/hr here) with a roommate or two.

There's a reason Cali is losing loads of people to TX.

Reactions: bobharly and MtnMan

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Reactions: bobharly

·
Registered
142 Posts
This makes a lot of sense right now!
If I had an extra car I would sell it in a hot second, you'll never get more value out of it than right now. Problem is you're gonna have to put it all back in if you need to buy one too. Really it all comes out in the wash if you're trading in (unless you let the dealer screw you)

Reactions: bobharly

·
Registered
176 Posts
You'll either mod this car and enjoy it, or blow your money elsewhere. Every day you're driving your boring car you'll be thinking "man that corner would have been so much fun in the ST" or "i could easily pass this person if i was in my ST"

I've had this thought about my 5.0 mustang lately, but i know ill miss it if i sell it. Although its the first thing to go if something really expensive breaks with my house, but that's a situation that will be out of my control.
Ha funny you mention that, I actually had this conversation with my wife the other day, selling her Mustang. Carvana is buying for stupid money right now and the car has low 24K miles. She said no obviously but I’d send that car down the river before I’d let either of my ST’s go. I really don’t like driving it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,795 Posts
Ha funny you mention that, I actually had this conversation with my wife the other day, selling her Mustang. Carvana is buying for stupid money right now and the car has low 24K miles. She said no obviously but I’d send that car down the river before I’d let either of my ST’s go. I really don’t like driving it.
Its an ecoboost, let it fly then pick up a 5.0 later when the market stabilizes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just sold my st to a dealer about 3 weeks ago, I got $500 less than what I bought it for new in 2018, I sold it because I never drove it, figured why make car payments on a vehicle I don't even drive or even need. I have a company truck I take home, my wife has a 2018 f150 as the family car, I have an 02 f350 7.3 powered that I use when I need a vehicle, I also have my 79 mustang that I 4.6 swapped last year that I've owned for 20 years, the st was nice because I could just get in it and go, check fluids once every couple weeks and just drive it, the f350 is old and has 218k miles on it so fluid checks are done regularly, and the mustang is of course my toy, that holley is keeping from not running because they can't get their stuff together and get my terminator x done, was megasquirt powered.

It's one of those things though, I miss the st and times but glad to be out of the payment, I'd rather have the mustang up and running as it was my first car and up untill last year had been sitting for 10 years due to life and family and kids but now it's almost done.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I just sold my st to a dealer about 3 weeks ago, I got $500 less than what I bought it for new in 2018, I sold it because I never drove it, figured why make car payments on a vehicle I don't even drive or even need. I have a company truck I take home, my wife has a 2018 f150 as the family car, I have an 02 f350 7.3 powered that I use when I need a vehicle, I also have my 79 mustang that I 4.6 swapped last year that I've owned for 20 years, the st was nice because I could just get in it and go, check fluids once every couple weeks and just drive it, the f350 is old and has 218k miles on it so fluid checks are done regularly, and the mustang is of course my toy, that holley is keeping from not running because they can't get their stuff together and get my terminator x done, was megasquirt powered.

It's one of those things though, I miss the st and times but glad to be out of the payment, I'd rather have the mustang up and running as it was my first car and up untill last year had been sitting for 10 years due to life and family and kids but now it's almost done.
That's something I've noticed about this forum, and the great people it attracts. Even after they sell their ST- so many members stick around. I run a car show (which is comparatively tiny- as car shows go, but it's the largest in the world for the car that it celebrates (The BMW E30 M3)). We find that SO many participants are ex-owners who sold their cars but stay involved- for many reasons- among them usually regret that they sold, and the high quality people who are involved with that historic car. Our unofficial motto is "You come for the cars, You stay for the people". I think that applies to this forum too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really did love the car, if it wasn't for the mustang project and wanting to get it done completely which also includes paint I'd have kept it but the fact that I'm 32 and married with 3 kids I don't need the car and I was still making payments so it was in my best interest to get rid of it, I wanted to give it to my 13 year old when he could drive as it would be a "cool" commuter car for a teen but we will probably pass down the wife's f150 to him and buy her something new when that time comes.

Two car payments suck, I had put maybe 4000 miles on the car in the past two years and that includes a trip to Houston for tx2k in 2021.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts