Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,146 Posts
I had a former coworker that had a late 80s 911, bronze-copper color, black interior that he drove to work once every week or 2.
His daily was a bright blue metallic Honda fit, last gen with the 5 MT. He said the Honda was fun too, in it's own way.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Nose Vision care Jaw Eyewear Gesture

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had a former coworker that had a late 80s 911, bronze-copper color, black interior that he drove to work once every week or 2.
His daily was a bright blue metallic Honda fit, last gen with the 5 MT. He said the Honda was fun too, in it's own way.
Honda Fits are fun, believe it or not. There's actually a spec-racing series for those cars.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Sure DMC. Wait until you have 2 kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a bad job in a dying industry. Then life beats you into submission, to the point where even the prospect of racing a Fit sounds fun. That's where I am at the moment...
Ok, Mr M3, RX7, and ST commuter, lol

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ok, Mr M3, RX7, and ST commuter, lol
Those things are the last evidence of my fun former self. It's all I can do to hang onto them- truly. They don't go anywhere. I almost sold the E30 a few years ago because of the expense of having kids, but I'm glad that I picked up a third job instead, because the value of that thing skyrocketed. They are all waiting for me to have time and money to play with them again.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,652 Posts
Sure DMC. Wait until you have 2 kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a bad job in a dying industry. Then life beats you into submission, to the point where even the prospect of racing a Fit sounds fun. That's where I am at the moment...
8 kids (2 in college), sole bread winner, mortgage, and now need a FIFTH car because we have kids going in so many directions (3 work food service with non-synced schedules).

I work on the ST to stay (mostly) sane. Everything else we drive just gets maintenance work on them.

In all seriousness to the question of selling, though... It's up to you, but I've been in your position before back in 2008 when I was presented with the option of being given a (very boring) 2000 Honda Civic DX (with like 110K on its tiny 1.6L), if I sold my FBO + a bunch of extra stuff 99 Neon RT that was TONS of fun to drive, but it was a bit rough for Jenny to drive (ok... she hated it). So, I did it... Got the Civic and sold the Neon. We were in a very hard financial place (I'd taken a 40% pay cut just so I could still have a job), so I figured that was best....

Worst.... choice...... ever.....

I should have kept the Neon for keeping me sane (for at least a few more years). The Civic sucked, was a money pit, had tons of problems I didn't know about until I got it, and only last about 2 years before I went out one morning and started it, and it sound like a diesel because of so much piston slap. That led me to a 2010 base model Mazda3 that was also slow, but I couldn't afford anything else until we moved here (Colorado) for a new, much better paying job.......At which time I got a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 EB, then FINALLY got the 2018 ST. It took me 11 years to finally get back into something that put a smile on my face every time I wanted to hammer on it, and I honestly think if I would have kept the 99 RT life would have been a lot easier for several years there in WV when there wasn't much to smile about. Now, should a car be THE THING that keeps you sane... probably not, but it would have helped quite a bit, I think.

I'd just get a beater car... they ARE out there for decent prices, but you'll need to keep your eyes and ears open. Our 4th car I purchased about 6 months ago from a buddy at work who had picked up a used ST. He had this 08 Focus and said he'd sell it to me for $1K. I put shocks and motor mounts on it, and that's it... So I've got around $1500 in the car and it's working great for my oldest to drive back and forth to college. The same car at a dealer would have been quite a bit more, I'm sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
WOW Rob. Wow. I can barely survive these two kids (10 and 13).
Honestly, once we got past 3 it wasn't really much harder... By that time the oldest could help with the younger ones (when they were little). Heck, Jon was helping to change Danny's diapers when Jon was 5 just after Danny was born. Now that they're older (20 and down), we have built-in babysitters who can watch the little ones when Jenny and I want to go on a date.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Honestly, once we got past 3 it wasn't really much harder... By that time the oldest could help with the younger ones (when they were little). Heck, Jon was helping to change Danny's diapers when Jon was 5 just after Danny was born. Now that they're older (20 and down), we have built-in babysitters who can watch the little ones when Jenny and I want to go on a date.
God Bless You. Property tax, medical insurance (I'm self-employed), and living expenses here in NJ ae totally crushing us. I work 3 jobs, and my wife works 2... We have not been on a "date" in at least a few years.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
God Bless You. Property tax, medical insurance (I'm self-employed), and living expenses here in NJ ae totally crushing us. I work 3 jobs, and my wife works 2... We have not been on a "date" in at least a few years.
Come to Colorado... Northeast or Northwest Denver area (Westminster, Thornton, Broomfield). NJ I've heard is VERY expensive to live in, so if you moved out here you'd probably save all kinds of $.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Come to Colorado... Northeast or Northwest Denver area (Westminster, Thornton, Broomfield). NJ I've heard is VERY expensive to live in, so if you moved out here you'd probably save all kinds of $.
We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon in 2005 and everyone had told us how expensive rent, houses and property are there. We took a look in the local publications to see what houses cost, and were shocked to find that it's more expensive to live in NJ.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for all the replies. You guys rock! Things are alright, just kicking **** around.
Been through a lot of **** in my 50+ years, 3 kids and two grandkids and more ups and downs than a roller coaster, so I ain’t skeered.
Planning a big move this year and was just wondering if I did sell, better to revert to stock, or sell to someone who gets it.
Leaning towards adding a beater to the stable but still wonder what would be better for resale.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Nope, not allowed to sell. Random person on the internet says so.
But for real, cheap beater FTW. I get the ST withdrawals bad when driving the GFs boring commuter. Would definitely suck if that was my car all the time.
Also, you are in the tangerine life now, there's no going back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. You guys rock! Things are alright, just kicking **** around.
Been through a lot of **** in my 50+ years, 3 kids and two grandkids and more ups and downs than a roller coaster, so I ain’t skeered.
Planning a big move this year and was just wondering if I did sell, better to revert to stock, or sell to someone who gets it.
Leaning towards adding a beater to the stable but still wonder what would be better for resale.
If you do sell, definitely take it back to stock, the buying algorithms on Vroom and Carvana are loony tunes spiraling up right now. I put 27k miles on my last car and they gave me 3k more than I paid for it in 2019. If you can keep the ST, do it, I sold my last fast car (WRX) 8 years ago for similar reasons and regretted every day of it. Hard to justify getting another one once it's gone.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon in 2005 and everyone had told us how expensive rent, houses and property are there. We took a look in the local publications to see what houses cost, and were shocked to find that it's more expensive to live in NJ.
Or come to Huntsville. Especially if you're in IT or any kind of engineering position. You'll find something here, as long as you can get a security clearance. We just bought a 1700sq ft house with a 2 car garage, in town, zoned for one of the best schools in town and only 5 minutes from the biggest working complex in the state. We paid a little over $200k for it and considered that expensive, but we wanted to secure the house and the location. Renting around here is a bit pricey (well, in my estimation). My best friends just rented a 1300sq ft apartment and are paying about $1300/mo.

My last job was an entry level IT position. Bottom of the barrel, literally my job was to put in IT tickets to the help desk above me, and they paid me over $60k/yr for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really liked Huntsville. I used to go there alot as a govvie contractor, then as a fed gov employee. It's a really great place to live and work. They have this bbq (greebriar?) restaurant (with their own catfish pond outback) outside of Huntsville that we used to go to often. Check it out!

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Whoa.. 200K for a 1700 sqft house? That's CHEAP compared to here in the Denver area. Of course, with all the fires we had in the Westminster/Broomfield area a couple weeks ago, that didn't help... Those grass fires spread to houses and turned over 1000 houses to ash, so house prices here are now even crazier.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I really liked Huntsville. I used to go there alot as a govvie contractor, then as a fed gov employee. It's a really great place to live and work. They have this bbq (greebriar?) restaurant (with their own catfish pond outback) outside of Huntsville that we used to go to often. Check it out!
As a kit growing up in a trailer park, I hated cities. I still do, mostly, but I'll champion Huntsville any day. We're nowhere near the size Atlanta or Nashville, but we probably will be and the local government has done a really great job preparing us for that growth.
Our military base employs a crapload of people. The FBI chose Huntsville for it's new base, with the idea of replacing Langley with it, Facebook is opening stuff here soon, Mazda/Toyota opened their new manufacturing plant here. It's absurd how much stuff is moving in to what used to be a modest little military town. We're officially the biggest city (population-wise) in Alabama. Very diverse population, too, considering we get engineers from literally around the world.

I haven't had Greenbriers. I've heard good things, but I'm not the biggest BBQ guy. We have some damn good Vietnamese and wings though.

Whoa.. 200K for a 1700 sqft house? That's CHEAP compared to here in the Denver area. Of course, with all the fires we had in the Westminster/Broomfield area a couple weeks ago, that didn't help... Those grass fires spread to houses and turned over 1000 houses to ash, so house prices here are now even crazier.
Yeah. I've looked at housing in places like Cali, Nashville TN and Atlanta GA. We have folks move here for work from Cali and buy a freaking mansion, because their like 1200 sq ft house in LA just sold for a million bucks.

As far as natural disasters, we have tornado season, but the way Huntsville is situated, we almost never see a touchdown in the city. Most of the time you hear the sirens go off, people will still be driving around, living life like normal. Lol. That old image of the shirtless dude with an American flag and a mullet comes to mind.

Also, if you want to move here, do it fast... There are more job openings than houses available for sale. That's including the suburbs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I second that for the California house prices. I have friends looking for a house right now. We are 50 miles east of LA. Houses in decent neighborhoods/schools and 2000+sq' can't be touched for less than $1 million. A house will list for 900k, and within 24 hours people are bidding 1.25 million. It's nuts. 7 years ago we paid 500k and our property value has doubled. We could not touch our house if we had to buy today. Plus local family businesses are going under because they can't find anyone to hire. No one is taking entry level jobs. No one is applying, even with a $15 min/wage. Plus prices of materials and food goods has nearly doubled in the last two years. Honestly, those who have money are scooping everything up in a frenzy and those who don't are struggling to get by. This can't be sustained and the economy is going to POP! It won't be pretty. It's just a question of when...

Just to move back on topic, during the summer we bought a new car and I was insulted that we paid $2000 over sticker. But Happy Wife, Happy Life. And there was only 1 of the model we wanted within 25 miles. Now that same car is going 6 to 8k over and we are talking about a Honda Minivan! Honestly, I wouldn't sell or buy a car right now unless it was an absolute necessity.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts