Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I want to do a Resonator delete. Anyone have it done? I have a mod friendly dealer, they even sell their cars with cat backs, mud flaps and ground effects pre-installed! I wanted to do a Res delete as its only 70 bucks and makes the car sound almost as good as a cat back, with that snap crackle pop noise (at least thats what I seem to hear in youtube videos).

I would like to know the pros, cons, and your experiences with the mod. How do dealers treat it? I asked my dealer if I should do it, and he said it was a great idea, but if I was planning on keeping the car long term, he recommended i get either a ford racing, mountune, or roush cat back as they do not interfere with the factory warranty.

I asked him "what if my turbo decides to throw a blade into my intake causing my engine to fail, could it be blamed on the res delete?" and he responded: "most likely not, but I cant say for sure.... it could be blamed on that because the car was never engineered to run without a resonator"

I have only had my ST for 2 months, I love it, but I do not love the quiet "wisp" sound the exhaust makes when I rev. The car is mean looking, it has power, it should sound the part.

Has anyone ever had a turbo fail? if so, what was the reason, and how was the warranty process, did you have mods installed, and if so, how did the dealer treat you with those mods on during the process?

Thank you, I look forward to your response.

-5dmc1

·
Registered
393 Posts
Id say 97% of ST owners do a res delete. Some stop there. Most get bored later and do a full exhaust. Ran me $30 at my local shop since its barely any work to delete for a shop. I'm sure you'll like it

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Hitachi_Bakku How long have you had the res delete? (years/ mileage) any issues, concerns, problems? Anything to note that I should know before going into it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You wont get any crackles and pops with a resonator delete! Its barely a noticeable difference in sound from inside the car, from the outside it gives it a slight bit of raspiness. I have had no issues with mine and dont expect any, plus im done going to my stealership for anything regardless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did the res delete, it wasn't enough for me. I ended up buying a borla and I could not be happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
97% of owners do a res delete hu? Sorta like 100% of facts online are made up....

If you are going to do **** to your exhaust, get a new one. I'm never for chopping up the OEM when there is a legit replacement. Just save up a little longer and get the catback.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I did a resonator delete. I also have a FSWerks tune that disables the sound symposer. The resonator delete made a small difference in sound, to me the best way to compare is by saying "its like having a slightly louder sound symposer". I actually go back to the cobb ots tunes sometimes just so I can still get more sound into the car( cobb ots has the sound symposer still activated). Honestly if I would have known how quiet it still would be I would have just left it stock. I am guessing its the headifold design that makes the exhaust on these cars so quiet. In my opinion just leave it stock or save up for a catback.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If your going to do exhaust work, do it right.

There are a myriad of choices for bolt on kits. If I were to do exhaust work on mine however I would do the same thing I've done to everything I've owned. I have a local exhaust shop that builds exactly what you want, you just need to have a sit down with them and explain your goals for sound (deep/high pitch, quiet/loud) Then you end up with something tailored directly to you. I may do that with the ST, but I have no plans too yet, I like it quiet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm all for buying parts that are a direct fit and have done so on my mustangs, however I heard some videos of the a resonator delete with a muffler delete and loved the sound so I decided to try it out. Deleting just the resonator may make you enjoy it for a few months and you'll want more. I'm currently pleased with the crackles and backfires I'm getting with a resonator and muffler delete.

Its your choice. Do as you want, you're paying for the car anyways.

Mines been that way for 1k miles barely, but no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I think I am going to just leave it stock. I like what LockeLamora33 and Lordred said. I think I will wait and get the Roush exhaust. That way I retain my warranty with ford and I wont have to worry. If there are any forum members in the Simi Valley area of Southern California with Roush/Ford Performance/ or Mountune exhaust mods, I would love to hear your cars in person to get an idea of how bad the drone is. My father keeps yacking on about how "the vibrations are going to loosen the bolts and your car will start rattling, and it will fall apart driving down the road, or you dont know if the new mufflers will rub the street over bumps" etc... he has a million reasons for me not to change the exhaust, ranging from the car falling apart, to attracting thieves, police, he is pulling out all the stops to get me to not do it....... yet when he was my age he had a 1970 Chevelle SS that he modded the hell out of within a year of owning it :haha:

what do you all think? exhaust mods, good/bad idea? I have heard the potential this car has from YT videos.. it can sound amazing. But does it get old?... I dont want to drop 600 dollars on the Roush just to be like "I cant take the drone anymore!!!" a month later.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have heard in person STs with Mountune catbacks. idle and WOT, that exhaust is too quiet for my personal tastes. I went to STOA and the cars there had the Borla catbacks, I thought that was better sounding, although even the Borla I think is still on the quiet side at idle, but just fine at wot.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
For me, the res delete was something to scratch the itch of wanting more sound till I was ready to buy a full exhaust. It's slightly louder and deeper but not a huge change.

Once I get home from working overseas for the summer, I'm going with a catless downpipe and GReddy exhaust. Should give me some nice tone without the excessive volume or drone thanks to the dual resonator on the GReddy kit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I deleted the resonator on mine a few weeks ago i couldnt hear a difference at all, so i had them chop the muffler off and stick a magnaflow on there.. It still needs something to help it sound a little more throaty tbh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you have a dealer that sells cars with catbacks, yet tells you that "a turbo failure could be blamed on a deleted resonator because the car was never engineered to run without one", then I would not contribute a dime towards that dealer as that individual is not being straightforward with you. Any catback exhaust or delete of OEM equipment past the cats changes the flow and sound only marginally on these cars. I'd say it's about the safest modification you could do.

Putting in a straightpipe in place of the resonator is something I've done on my last 4 turbo cars, and never had a single issue. It's just a little more exhaust noise without being obnoxious. Total cost for all 4 cars: $200. Total cost for catbacks on all 4 cars would have been >$2500. I'm happy having the savings to put towards other things. A resonator delete is simple and inexpensive. If you decide you want some more noise, then look into more of the options for mufflers and catback systems.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you have a dealer that sells cars with catbacks, yet tells you that "a turbo failure could be blamed on a deleted resonator because the car was never engineered to run without one", then I would not contribute a dime towards that dealer as that individual is not being straightforward with you. Any catback exhaust or delete of OEM equipment past the cats changes the flow and sound only marginally on these cars. I'd say it's about the safest modification you could do.

Putting in a straightpipe in place of the resonator is something I've done on my last 4 turbo cars, and never had a single issue. It's just a little more exhaust noise without being obnoxious. Total cost for all 4 cars: $200. Total cost for catbacks on all 4 cars would have been >$2500. I'm happy having the savings to put towards other things. A resonator delete is simple and inexpensive. If you decide you want some more noise, then look into more of the options for mufflers and catback systems.
well... good thing I got an extended warranty from my insurance. I can go to any mechanic I want! :p I trust my personal mechanic way more than any dealer.

Also, I am looking at muffler delete as possible option. Only sad part is I would have to remove the gorgeous stock tip.... I like how it looks, it matches the car and has a bit of a "Lamborghini Aventador" style to it. The exhaust shop I took it to has been there for years, and he gets the best reviews on yelp and I have friends who have had work done with him and love his work. Sadly he said it would cost me over $200 to do the muffler delete while keeping the stock tip, because fabricating a Y pipe is a lot of labor. :sad: I found a nice dual tip with a double wall, but to me, nothing looks as nice as the stocker.

My other concern is drone... I know the res delete doesnt add alot, but will the muffler add more drone? I have been listening to this video, and I LOVE the rumble at idle:

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: StevenST
1 - 20 of 24 Posts