Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says i'm thinking of getting an AP but dont know to much about them.
Once I have the AP. Whats next? maps, costs etc

Thanks for any helpful input

·
Registered
408 Posts
So as the title says i'm thinking of getting an AP but dont know to much about them.
Once I have the AP. Whats next? maps, costs etc

Thanks for any helpful input
Ok. If you get an AP from a tunner, they usually include a free flash tune. If you get it used, youll have to buy a tune. And they range from 70$ for a flash tune and upwards towards 250-300$ for a custom tune. Your choice should be made based on your mods and plans for your car.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. If you get an AP from a tunner, they usually include a free flash tune. If you get it used, youll have to buy a tune. And they range from 70$ for a flash tune and upwards towards 250-300$ for a custom tune. Your choice should be made based on your mods and plans for your car.

ok cool, thanks very much. Pretty much told me what i needed.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Registered
408 Posts
ok cool, thanks very much. Pretty much told me what i needed.
I say stick with a flash tune until you have all the mods you want and then spend the money on a custom tune. The flash tune will hold you over intill you are ready. Right now i am stock, only mods are a green filter, boomba bov, and resonator delete. Im running a stratified e30 flash tune and im more than satisfied with it. Those guys know what they are doing and on a simple flash i can feel the difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I really like Stratified. They have some great products, and like Zeek mentioned, they include a flash tune with the purchase. They will send you a form to fill out and they will tailor the tune to your car. Much better than an OTS tune from Cobb.

You can also purchase additions when you buy the AP, like they offer exhaust crackles, more than one octane tunes (if you want to switch between 91 and 93 or do 93 and E85). You can also get the Cobb Traction Control (HIGHLY suggest this).

Not that there is anything wrong with Cobbs OTS maps, but they are quite conservative for obvious reasons, so you can extract more from the car with a flash tune from Stratified.

A flash tune will get you 95% of the power potential, where a custom map will get you 99-100%. If you are big turbo, you will need to be custom tuned.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So see if this is correct...

Stratified Flash tune = canned tuned for a best guess at your car and the mods you have

Custom map = obviously just that? Completely custom to your car

Is that right?

I had a full custom map done on the dyno on my last motorcycle...money well spent.

Also, how does the Stratified modified Cobb traction control work in conjunction with the factory traction control/stability control settings and the use of the factory switch on the car? I've been trying to read and let it all soak in, but still working on this one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So see if this is correct...

Stratified Flash tune = canned tuned for a best guess at your car and the mods you have

Custom map = obviously just that? Completely custom to your car

Is that right?

I had a full custom map done on the dyno on my last motorcycle...money well spent.

Also, how does the Stratified modified Cobb traction control work in conjunction with the factory traction control/stability control settings and the use of the factory switch on the car? I've been trying to read and let it all soak in, but still working on this one.
Flash tune isn't a canned tune. A Cobb OTS map is a canned tune. When you purchase a flash tune from a company such as Stratified, they send you a form to fill out so that they know the mods that you have, and they will send you a customized flash tune. You can also get a revision made to it which will help even more. You send them a log and they will make the changes needed.

Custom map would be going whole hog and getting everything looked at. Flash tune will get you 95% of your potential, and a custom tune will get you 99-100%. It is just a question whether the extra $350-400 is worth 5%?

The Cobb and Stratified traction control does NOT work in conjunction with the factory traction control. You need to shut the factory traction control off in order to use the Cobb/Stratified TC.

The factory TC uses brakes, which makes the car feel like it falls on its face when TC intervenes. The Cobb/Stratified TC uses spark advance to limit power, which helps gain traction. So the car will still be accelerating, but wheel spin will be gone.

The cool thing that Stratified does is gives you TC settings from 1-8. 1 being the most intrusive, to 8 being all the way off. They have their recommended setting which is 4 and allows 15-20% tire slippage (which is the most efficient for gaining speed). In the tests that I have seen, they claim your 30-50mph time can be reduced by almost 2 seconds depending on the mods that you have.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So I'm guessing the Stratified TC is a performance approach in that it's goal is to aid acceleration, correct? What about from a TC for bad weather, winter roads approach? Does the stratified TC make for a better option?

So to use or initiate the stratified TC on your tune, you'd have to turn off the factory TC with the switch? What about the factory stability control (the one you have to hold the button to turn off)? Is that a separate matter?

Thanks for the explanation thus far...huge help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So I'm guessing the Stratified TC is a performance approach in that it's goal is to aid acceleration, correct? What about from a TC for bad weather, winter roads approach? Does the stratified TC make for a better option?

So to use or initiate the stratified TC on your tune, you'd have to turn off the factory TC with the switch? What about the factory stability control (the one you have to hold the button to turn off)? Is that a separate matter?

Thanks for the explanation thus far...huge help.
It is meant to help with track performance, so you will have no stability control because you will have turned off the factory stability control.

For me, I think in the snow it is actually be better than the factory TC. The factory TC just kills power and the car doesn't go anywhere, where the Cobb/Stratified TC would help you accelerate still. However, it is nice to have stability control on in the case that the rear end decides to get out on you, so you will NOT have that with the Cobb/Stratified TC.

Yep, just hold down your TC/ESP button to turn everything off. Then you will be using the Cobb/Stratified TC. To turn off the Cobb/Stratified TC, you will need to go in to the tune and set the traction to mode 8.

No problem. I know it is confusing a bit. I researched the crap out of it because it seemed intriguing. It is great.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is meant to help with track performance, so you will have no stability control because you will have turned off the factory stability control.
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Turning stability control off is not the same as turning factory traction control off. Also to clarify, Cobb Traction Control uses ignition retardation to enhance traction. This cuts torque for a very short time which allows weight transfer of the vehicle forward over the front wheels enhancing traction. Also, Cobb Traction Control will work on top of factory traction control, however, if you are going for acceleration runs, you should turn factory traction control off ('sport mode'). There is no need to disable stability control completely unless you are on a track. Stratified Traction Control works in a very similar way to Cobb Traction, but based on their descriptions sounds less intrusive. Also, Cobb TC also has a scaling of interference which you can set via the AP. Regardless, you can't get Cobb TC from OTS maps.

Anyway, if you want to save $50 bucks down the line, buy the AP from Stratified. You'll have access to the Cobb OTS maps as well for the same price as if you bought it from Cobb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts