Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about getting into an ST for a daily driver and was wondering a few things. I found a 2015 ST2 in the tangerine color for around 24k with 74 miles on it or a brand new ST3 for 26K. My question is, which is the better deal, and are there any real heavy differences between the two model years? I kind of like the two tone seats in the '15.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You found a 2015 ST with 74 miles....is that a typo?

One big difference will be the Sync system. The 2017 will have Sync3. It's much better than the earlier system, and it comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility. If you buy new you'll also be able to attend Octane Academy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Be sure to haggle with the dealer. I know it's not apples to apples, but I got my '17 ST1 with brake and wheel option for $19,500 OTD. That is with a $1,600 credit for my trade, and 9.5% tax and dealer fees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You found a 2015 ST with 74 miles....is that a typo?

One big difference will be the Sync system. The 2017 will have Sync3. It's much better than the earlier system, and it comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility. If you buy new you'll also be able to attend Octane Academy.
Nope car has photos. Still in the wrapper and the photo of the dash shows 74 miles. Doesn't sound like much of a deal then considering the newer model has better tech in it and is only 2500-ish more. Are there any known mechanical issues from year to year?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nope car has photos. Still in the wrapper and the photo of the dash shows 74 miles. Doesn't sound like much of a deal then considering the newer model has better tech in it and is only 2500-ish more. Are there any known mechanical issues from year to year?
Dude, 2015 with 74 miles??? Something ain't right there. I'd love to hear the story on that. I'd love even more to know the truth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude, 2015 with 74 miles??? Something ain't right there. I'd love to hear the story on that. I'd love even more to know the truth.
I mean, the carfax checks out and the car is literally still all wrapped up with all the plastic on everything. Not sure what kind of story there could be.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The cars are the same mechanically. No major issues, and fewer minor issues in the 15+ models than the earlier models. The 17 will have a moonroof, it was an optional​ on the 15. The ST3 will also have heated seats, steering wheel, multicolor accent lighting, and some carbon fiber trim pieces. The window stickers will give you more info on some of the other differences, like if either car has the premium wheel package.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Could have been a car pulled for quality control testing, but those usually don't get more than 30 or 40 miles put on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this is still at a dealer?
Correct. I emailed them today. Turns out its a fairly small dealership that bought it off of a larger ford dealership back in may who still had it sitting on their lot. Story was told to me the ford dealership was owned by a much older man who, as he put it, "wasn't really up with the times and had a bunch of 15 model year cars still just sitting on the lot" so he bought some of them, this ST being one of them. If I was a betting man, he bought it on the cheap. Thing is, it's not really a "deal" considering they want $23,999 for it, but a '17 is $26,500 with some better options.

The big one for me is the stereo, I'd really love apple car play, as my wifes new car has it and I love it. Would it be difficult to swap the stereo out to a newer sync or even an aftermarket one?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Correct. I emailed them today. Turns out its a fairly small dealership that bought it off of a larger ford dealership back in may who still had it sitting on their lot. Story was told to me the ford dealership was owned by a much older man who, as he put it, "wasn't really up with the times and had a bunch of 15 model year cars still just sitting on the lot" so he bought some of them, this ST being one of them. If I was a betting man, he bought it on the cheap. Thing is, it's not really a "deal" considering they want $23,999 for it, but a '17 is $26,500 with some better options.

The big one for me is the stereo, I'd really love apple car play, as my wifes new car has it and I love it. Would it be difficult to swap the stereo out to a newer sync or even an aftermarket one?
Either way it will be the same to upgrade to aftermarket.

Upgrading the audio systems for Ford sync is a little more complicated than normal. But you will be able to figure it out, there is a lot of helpful stuff on this in the electronics board of this forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You won't be able to (easily) upgrade the '15 to Sync3...it will be a major hassle, expensive, and not worth it since you inherit all the idiosyncrasies of typical manufacturer systems. Rockford Fosgate is coming out with a system called the DSR1 (this month, supposedly) that will allow you to maintain all functionality of the OEM system but bypass the crappy amp (that has a somewhat poor sound signature to protect the crappy OEM speakers) and put in your own amp to take full advantage of a speaker replacement. At under $300 (including the Ford wiring harness), it looks to be a bargain relative to trying to replace the head unit and everything else.

I have an ST3 and while I agree that the two-tone Recaros of the ST2 look pretty nice, there have been reports of the yellow inserts of the Tangerine Scream color not playing well with blue jeans. The new ST3 is a MUCH better deal than the '15 ST2 - if you could get them to knock at least $3K off the '15 then it would be a worthy consideration but under the circumstances it sounds like the dealership thinks it's special just because it hasn't been driven for the last two years. Add in features like heated steering wheel and seats (great for Massachusetts), and the new ST3 is the way to go unless you just can't live without the yellow seat inserts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a '17 ST3 so I'd be a little biased on my suggestion.. The '15 would be good for 20-22K or at least some sort of free maintenance/extended warranty contract.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To be clear, the 2015 has never been titled, as in it is still a "new" car, according to Ford? Is that their final price?
What car do you like better?

·
Registered
497 Posts
While a car is not a loaf of bread, it's not a granite monument either. All of the rubber and plastic are two years old. Belts, hoses, tires, wires, etc...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unless you really, really like the TS color (and some people do) your best bet would be to get the newer model for not a lot more money. Just don't like the idea of buying a car that has been sitting around for over two years, in the sun, rain, and sleet, with animals creeping around the vehicle. Tires have been exposed to UV rays all that time, rubber parts will have aged, interior gone through many heat/cold cycles for weeks/months on end.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Why would you even consider paying a premium on a two year old car regardless if its been titled or not?.. Let the dealer keep it and keep loosing money on it. Wayyy to many good deals to be had on 2017 models to be dealing with a two year old "new" car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why would you even consider paying a premium on a two year old car regardless if its been titled or not?.. Let the dealer keep it and keep loosing money on it. Wayyy to many good deals to be had on 2017 models to be dealing with a two year old "new" car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because its Tangerine Scream. For the right price, that's the one I'd want. The price would have to be lower, though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Because its Tangerine Scream. For the right price, that's the one I'd want. The price would have to be lower, though.
We have a dealer like this up the road from me. Nobody there seems to care if they sell a car or not. We went there to try to buy a vehicle, a vehicle we knew had been on their lot for a long time. They would not deal at all. We walked,but at least we knew why they had it for so long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts