Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I currently have the stock shifter weight with the cobb plate on it. I would like to smooth it out a bit and maybe get a little lighter of a feel.
For a while have been trying to get my hands on a used Breedt shift arm but have not been able to come across one yet on the forum.
I am slightly skeptical about it though, I dont really know how much lighter it makes it feel. I have driven the FiST and hated how notchy and light the shift felt. Similarly, I drove a 2015 WRX and felt the same way about the shifter. To me when its super notchy and light it feels cheap.
That being said, I started thinking about if I could pick up another stock weight for cheap and modify it to reduce the moment of inertia to fine tune the weight and get it exactly how I want it.

I know I have seen a company (JBR I think) that makes a shift weight that you can change the weight but I dont really want to spend that kind of money.

Has anyone tried this? or should I be the guinea pig?
Im willing to do it anyone is willing to sell or part with their stock weight if they dont need need it. If not, I can look into buying one, I cant do it to my current one since the STella is my only car.

EDIT: Also if anyone knows the Ford PN that would be swell

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Breedt shift arm is the best. Period. The only one I have not tested is the mountune shift arm. Coupled with an Anarchy Motive shift knob (very heavy) I cannot imagine going back. My .02 is get a heavy knob and try to find a breedt. A lot of people are caught up on color but you will never see it again unless you intend to un-install it.

Reactions: COBBST and hmc2261

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Breedt shift arm is the best. Period. The only one I have not tested is the mountune shift arm. Coupled with an Anarchy Motive shift knob (very heavy) I cannot imagine going back. My .02 is get a heavy knob and try to find a breedt. A lot of people are caught up on color but you will never see it again unless you intend to un-install it.
Yeah I remember us talking about it on your build page. I want to try it out, but Id like to pick one up used.
The reason I thought about modding a stock one is because I want to put some of the engineering skills that I havent used in a few years to the test to make sure I can still do all the math I need to figure out what kind of weight I can get for the shift feel based on how much or where I take material away from.
Plus I have a mill at work and I think it would be a cool weekend project :)

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Yeah I remember us talking about it on your build page. I want to try it out, but Id like to pick one up used.
The reason I thought about modding a stock one is because I want to put some of the engineering skills that I havent used in a few years to the test to make sure I can still do all the math I need to figure out what kind of weight I can get for the shift feel based on how much or where I take material away from.
Plus I have a mill at work and I think it would be a cool weekend project :)
Good part about the Breedt is historically you can buy it used and sell it for what you got it for. Shifter weight is personal preference. I went slightly heavier and sold it for lighter and then went super heavy and enjoy it. I do also have the shifter bushings which helps deal with the slop you feel with heavier knobs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You mean cutting the counter weights off? This has been done to my focus as well as two other ones local to me, there isn't a big change but does make it noticeably easier to shift, and more notchy feeling, which I like. Really no care in 'fine' tuning it, removed all the weight. Everyone has stuck with the modified one vs the stock one. This is with short shiftier or with the stock shifter.

Auto part Brake

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good part about the Breedt is historically you can buy it used and sell it for what you got it for. Shifter weight is personal preference. I went slightly heavier and sold it for lighter and then went super heavy and enjoy it. I do also have the shifter bushings which helps deal with the slop you feel with heavier knobs.
I also have the bushings, Im waiting for the time to put them in, the trans mount bushings will be a cake walk but the ones under the center consul are annoying I have heard. I need a warm saturday free to do them all.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I also have the bushings, Im waiting for the time to put them in, the trans mount bushings will be a cake walk but the ones under the center consul are annoying I have heard. I need a warm saturday free to do them all.
They shouldn't be too bad, just take your time. There's a few really good directional video's on youtube you can watch to give you a hand! Make sure you find the right one '13/'14 or '15+. The install differs slightly. The shifter base bushing job, always pairs well with adding a shift throw shifter (boomba) :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
The bushings are pretty easy, it's getting the center console apart that really sucks.

Breedt arm is great but it won't help your throws feel any less notchy IMO. A heavier knob will though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I started with a Cobb shift plate... then went with the breedt arm.. after a month i went back to the cobb plate.. that with the bushings cable bushing as well, and a raceseng slammer shift knob has got the feel almost perfect to me.. I was spoiled with the FRS, but its really close.. i just didnt care for the breedt arm.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They shouldn't be too bad, just take your time. There's a few really good directional video's on youtube you can watch to give you a hand! Make sure you find the right one '13/'14 or '15+. The install differs slightly. The shifter base bushing job, always pairs well with adding a shift throw shifter (boomba) :wink: :wink:
I was thinking about buying the short shifter from boomba, like you said, once I have it apart, its worth it to just do everything.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was thinking about buying the short shifter from boomba, like you said, once I have it apart, its worth it to just do everything.
Doooo Itttt!!!!!

Look for some sort of Christmas / Boxing Day / New Years sale! Save a few extra $$ while your at it, if you don't mind waiting just a little bit longer! I think they had or still have some sort of discount going on now still! @Boomba Racing will chime in

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
I'd do the short shifter if you're looking at doing the shifter base bushings. Taking apart the center console is annoying enough that you won't want to do it twice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts