Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wonder if anyone was running a 3" downpipe that WASN'T the matching thermal R&D exhaust. I had honestly just noticed that the end on the exhaust that connects to the downpipe was 2.5" and was wondering if there would be any performance dip even if it was a little segment as it restricts airflow. would I be using the 2.5 or 3" gasket if the downpipe was 3" ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just went through this after Thermal told me they had discontinued their DP. Thermal will sell you a full 3" adapter/intermediate pipe to replace the 3" > 2.5" that came with their catback. Otherwise, you could modify the original Thermal intermediate pipe. You would need a 3" flange and short piece of 3" pipe to replace the 2.5" flange and reducer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just went through this after Thermal told me they had discontinued their DP. Thermal will sell you a full 3" adapter/intermediate pipe to replace the 3" > 2.5" that came with their catback. Otherwise, you could modify the original Thermal intermediate pipe. You would need a 3" flange and short piece of 3" pipe to replace the 2.5" flange and reducer.
Any idea what they charge for the 3” piece?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any idea what they charge for the 3” piece?
I want to say $50, but not totally sure.

Edit: Just checked my old emails... normally it's $70, but they offered me $50.... I guess for the inconvenience of discontinuing their DP. I think I've heard of people getting them cheaper. A good stainless flange is around $20-25, so it was worth it to pay double that for the whole adapter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I want to say $50, but not totally sure.

Edit: Just checked my old emails... normally it's $70, but they offered me $50.... I guess for the inconvenience of discontinuing their DP. I think I've heard of people getting them cheaper. A good stainless flange is around $20-25, so it was worth it to pay double that for the whole adapter.
awesome! BTW I have their downpipe....but just purchased mountunes EFR turbo kit. And won’t be able to use it with that kit. It’s due in around July supposably but I’m expecting it to be delayed further with this covid stuff...
So I will be pulling it off and selling it. If your interested let me know. That’s why I’m wanting to get that 3” adapter myself.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Thermal downpipe is still listed for sale at a few places still.

EDIT: Just realized the qty is now listed as 0. I've checked this part 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months and theres always been a quantity listed in stock until now.

Reactions: jwuonog

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel like I have seen it for sale in a few places...

Does that section of smaller pipe affect performance a lot?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I feel like I have seen it for sale in a few places...

Does that section of smaller pipe affect performance a lot?
The thermal downpipe gets rid of the flange and connects to the front band clamp directly.

If it IS true that thermal discountiuned the downpipe, they do sell a 3 inch flange piece in order to run another brand downpipe.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I ended up getting a Mountune Catted DP and ordering the adapter from Thermal for $65 shipped.

View attachment 380074
Do you have decent recording equipment to get a video of that setup? Also how much has interior volume changed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have decent recording equipment to get a video of that setup? Also how much has interior volume changed?
It hasn't changed at all, that I can tell. I have a pretty good ear in general.

Maybe just a LITTLE deeper. No additional NVH either, even with the motor mount.

Here's some clips.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It hasn't changed at all, that I can tell. I have a pretty good ear in general.

Maybe just a LITTLE deeper. No additional NVH either, even with the motor mount.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I can tell its a touch raspier on the outside, but seems to be exactly the same inside.

Reactions: jwuonog
1 - 12 of 12 Posts