Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a pic of Thermal Protection Foil applied to our Air Box to reduce intake air temps. It's Rocket Science. JP

Edit: Price for the ST Air Box Thermal Protection Kit is $38 in Gold or High Performance Silver. Everything you'll need is included except Acetone, which is necessary to prep the surface for the self-adhesive. Purchasers will be linked to a YouTube Install Video for a complete walk through. JP

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Have you been hanging around with Flora?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every time I see it I want one more.
It won't be long, TS. Just need Kevin to test one out. I'll remember your support. JP

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
It would be cool if you could take some AIT readings and show how much of a difference it makes other than cosmetic. Either way it looks very nice-a!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I would imagine your metal intake tube transfers more heat than that plastic box. That isn't rocket science though...

·
Registered
582 Posts
With your filter open wrapping the airbox won't make any difference.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fux, and good plan. This the same material as on the ST-R, so Ford Racing thought it was worthwhile. Well, them and just about every other race team on the planet. But, like you, I'd like to see the figures. I'll have to see if I can work up a protocol. If you think of something, let me know. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With your filter open wrapping the airbox won't make any difference.
You're right. The plug is coming from Mountune. JP

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Thanks Fux, and good plan. This the same material as on the ST-R, so Ford Racing thought it was worthwhile. Well, them and just about every other race team on the planet. But, like you, I'd like to see the figures. I'll have to see if I can work up a protocol. If you think of something, let me know. JP
Thank god you included that dash in ST-R. :haha:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would imagine your metal intake tube transfers more heat than that plastic box. That isn't rocket science though...
You're right (except the Rocket Science part). But it's a cumulative effect. Everything else being equal, each point in the intake that you reduce temps, the lower the temp at the end of the chain. Every little bit helps. That's why just about every high performance car uses it. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
You're right (except the Rocket Science part). But it's a cumulative effect. Everything else being equal, each point in the intake that you reduce temps, the lower the temp at the end of the chain. Every little bit helps. That's why just about every high performance car uses it. JP
heat transfer does apply to rocket science, but it applies to just science...

Anyways, firstly just because a high performance vehicle uses it does not mean it will benefit your consumer car.

Then the fact that Aluminum transfer heat at a very high rate (in fact is what I believe one of the best at it) compared to most plastics (if not all) I would say that this will only make about .00000000001%(give or take a few 0's) of a difference... aka nothing. I would imagine you would get a better result by just putting that on the bottom of the intake tube as it would help deter the heat raising up from the engine/turbo, etc.

I definitely want to see some sort of experiment from this as my inner science geek is getting all geeeeee from it.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
You have any plans for wrapping the rest of the intake?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
heat transfer does apply to rocket science, but it applies to just science...

Anyways, firstly just because a high performance vehicle uses it does not mean it will benefit your consumer car.

Then the fact that Aluminum transfer heat at a very high rate (in fact is what I believe one of the best at it) compared to most plastics (if not all) I would say that this will only make about .00000000001%(give or take a few 0's) of a difference... aka nothing. I would imagine you would get a better result by just putting that on the bottom of the intake tube as it would help deter the heat raising up from the engine/turbo, etc.

I definitely want to see some sort of experiment from this as my inner science geek is getting all geeeeee from it.
Here's the ST-R. I think the Ford Racing engineers would argue with your math.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
One sec let me decrease my browser magnification. :p

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
They also have a plastic intake... so I imagine they would have wrapped any metal intake tubing if they had any, but instead they have a plastic tube with metal heat shielding on the exterior. You just have metal.

1 - 20 of 467 Posts