Ford Focus ST Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
We installed the BC Racing coilovers on our Focus ST recently and I have been driving the car for about 2 weeks now. The ride quality was surprising to me. In my experience coilovers were always a very rough ride, reminiscent of driving a forklift over a bumpy road. Often times when I had coilovers installed on other cars, it felt like there was almost no suspension at all. After installing the BC coilovers on the Focus, I took it for a little drive on one of the roughest roads I could find to test them out and wow, I was shocked at how well they reacted to the impacts and bumps in the road. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't ride like a Cadillac or anything, but it definitely rides a lot smoother than expected. If I had to put a rating on them stock being a 10, the Eibach Pro-Kit being an 8 I would give these a solid 7. The ride is slightly more rigid than the pro-kit, but with 30 clicks of damping adjustment, you can dial in just about as stiff, or smooth of a ride as you want.

As for performance, the first thing you notice is how much they reduce body roll, the springs on these coilovers are linear and you can independently adjust the pre-load on them to reduce the time it takes for the springs to react to sudden shifts in weight, this can also be independently adjusted from the height adjustment, which is great! The lift off oversteer that we all know and love is still present, but it seems to re-attain composure a little more quickly when leaving a turn aggressively.

Being that these are BC Racing coilovers, the height adjustment options are pretty extensive, you can go REALLY low with these things, in fact, we are about 1/2 inch from all the way up on the adjustment on our Focus and can go down a lot more. I didn't want to go much lower due to this car being my daily driver. If we were to use this car as a show car as it's primary function, we might go quite a bit lower. Here's a picture of how it sits right now, I wouldn't mind going slightly lower in the rear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car World rally championship World Rally Car

If you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them as best I can, Thanks for reading!

Corby

·
Registered
164 Posts
So when should you unveil what the car will be doing? I assume the intercooler (more cool air = you're increasing the power), and the suspension upgrade means you're more than likely doing something that needs better handling.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
So when should you unveil what the car will be doing? I assume the intercooler (more cool air = you're increasing the power), and the suspension upgrade means you're more than likely doing something that needs better handling.
The details are forthcoming, it's still somewhat cold here so none of the tracks are open.

Corby

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is whatever you're doing like a "first" for the ST? Like all STs? I haven't heard of anything eye catching as far as track times in time attack etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wish I would've known about RSD being in SLC Utah, I was at The Octane academy in Oct, and stayed with my friend up there. I would'e loved to see the White sheep!

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
It would have been great to see you! If you ever come back to Salt Lake, stop by.

The White Sheep is getting a few maintenance things done as well as getting a 4 wheel alignment. Can't wait to take it to the track and getting some times laid down. We need to get the tires mounted up for the track. We'll keep you updated as things move along! Here's a shot of it on the lift at the dealership.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car World Rally Car Alloy wheel

Thanks for reading

Corby

·
Registered
95 Posts
It would have been great to see you! If you ever come back to Salt Lake, stop by.

The White Sheep is getting a few maintenance things done as well as getting a 4 wheel alignment. Can't wait to take it to the track and getting some times laid down. We need to get the tires mounted up for the track. We'll keep you updated as things move along! Here's a shot of it on the lift at the dealership.

View attachment 87359

Thanks for reading

Corby
If I ever go back SLC, then we'll do! :)

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Why'd you remove the Lamin-X headlights?
In all honesty, it was a personal choice. I liked the way it looked at first, but after a while, I wanted to have the headlights stock again. I never had any issues with them, they didn't really affect the light output very much, I was just ready for a change. I still have Lamin-X on the foglights.

Corby

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Our Focus ST has been running around on the Eibach Pro Kit springs for a couple of years now and we decided it was due for a change, we liked the ride quality of the springs, and the ride height as well so we wanted to find something that would give us something comparable with adjust ability. After looking at the few options available for the Focus ST's we decided to go with the BC Racing BR coilovers. These coilovers have 30 levels of adjustment for damping front and rear, the front coilovers have camber adjustable top hats, also independent height and spring pre-load adjustments. This makes them very appealing for someone looking to get into a decent set of coilovers for occasional track use and to be able to tolerate using them on your daily driver.

In the past I have read and seen several examples of coilovers that were "bouncy" or "harsh" to drive and honestly that's what I expected when we were installing these on this car. After installing them however, I was pleasantly surprised. The damping adjustment makes them very livable for driving the car on road trips/daily driving and make it feel even more capable on the track that it did with the factory springs. One thing I did notice was an increase of tire noise due to the solid pillow ball mounts on the front. We have about 1200 miles on these now and ride quality is exactly what we were looking for.

We did get an alignment (as you should any time you install and suspension component) Camber was slightly out of the green as was the toe. We have all of that fixed now and it drives great!

The Ride height I wanted close to the same as the Pro Kit so we left it about the same as it was out of the box, all we did was match them up so they were adjusted evenly. You can see in the picture below that it has a good stance, without going so low that you worry about driving over speed bumps and in/out of parking lots. We still have about 1/2 inch to go higher, and close to an inch to go lower if we chose to do so. Another thing I should mention is, don't forget to tighten your collar adjustment nuts.

View attachment 88415

Here's what BC has to say about the coilovers:

The BC Racing BR series coilovers are the perfect choice for street driving with a dash of weekend warrior track action. Featuring easily accessible adjustment knobs and separately adjustable ride height, the BR series makes adjusting and maintaining your performance coilover system easier than ever. Ride height is independently user adjustable so you can dial in the exact look to reflect your driving style and performance needs. BC’s patented concave lower locking ring keeps all adjustments locked in and ready for precise predicable feed back in any scenario. BR series coilovers provide a strong, complete and attractive coilover system at a great price.

We also did a little video of the installation and a small review. You can see that here:

For more information about these coilovers, you can check that out here:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/BC-Racing-E-22-BR-BR-Coilovers

These have been a great addition to the car and should help us get the track times down, and the price is very reasonable when you consider what you get for the money.

Hope this helps
Corby

221 - 240 of 262 Posts