Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always thinking it was going to be some major battle keeping the wheels/brakes clean.

11,000 miles as of today and I have not cleaned the calipers once. Honestly the brake dust is no worse than anything else I've had, but that said I'll likely take a toothbrush to them next time I have the wheels off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What year ST do you have .. I think the later models came with slightly bigger disc and a different pad with less dust. Either way that looks pretty clean. Or maybe you just wash your wheels lol

Maybe post up a pic up after a week of driving or something :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, Ford changed brakes mid way through 2014 like stylo said. Larger front rotors with a little less aggressive pads that produces less dust.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I was always thinking it was going to be some major battle keeping the wheels/brakes clean.

11,000 miles as of today and I have not cleaned the calipers once. Honestly the brake dust is no worse than anything else I've had, but that said I'll likely take a toothbrush to them next time I have the wheels off.

Yeah, Ford changed brakes mid way through 2014 like stylo said. Larger front rotors with a little less aggressive pads that produces less dust.
Yeah Ford changed the pads out for less dusty ones. It wasn't midway through 2014 though. The later half of 2014 we got bigger brakes (which is what I have) but they are still the super strong initial bite, but extraordinarily dusty pads everyone bi**hes about. It sucks..but they work well below 100mph. I think some time in 2015 they opted for less initial bite options that make less dust.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You definitely don't have a '13 with the OEM pads :D

My brake dust was so bad that I could wash the car, drive VERY conservatively to the grocery store and back, and there would be a layer thick enough that a finger swipe would leave your finger quite dirty and a very noticeable white stripe on the wheel. I couldn't take it after ~15,000 and put some ceramics on it. Brake dust is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You definitely don't have a '13 with the OEM pads :D

My brake dust was so bad that I could wash the car, drive VERY conservatively to the grocery store and back, and there would be a layer thick enough that a finger swipe would leave your finger quite dirty and a very noticeable white stripe on the wheel. I couldn't take it after ~15,000 and put some ceramics on it. Brake dust is no longer an issue.
I'd heard wonderful tales about the dustless magic of ceramic brake pads, so when it was time for my 2013 to get new brakes last year, I inquired with my local Ford dealer. They scared me out of it, saying there had been issues with people doing that, warranty, blah, blah... so I stuck with stock. Where should I go next time I need brake work and what do I order?

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
I would never downgrade my braking performance by using ceramic pads. I've been using Hawk HPS (not HP+) pads with less dust and great braking performance for daily and auto x. I even put grey wheels back on my can and don't get near the same level of dust as OEM. Last year I put slotted rotors on with them which eat pads quicker and still not near the same level of dust as OEM. My pads are at around half life. My OEM pads are sitting in a box doing nothing.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yeah Ford changed the pads out for less dusty ones. It wasn't midway through 2014 though. The later half of 2014 we got bigger brakes (which is what I have) but they are still the super strong initial bite, but extraordinarily dusty pads everyone bi**hes about. It sucks..but they work well below 100mph. I think some time in 2015 they opted for less initial bite options that make less dust.
It wasn't the later half of 14. It was 3/31/14 to be exact.

Buy 2014 Ford Focus Parts | FordParts.com

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
It wasn't the later half of 14. It was 3/31/14 to be exact.

Buy 2014 Ford Focus Parts | FordParts.com
I guess if we're being specific yes, I only said later half because typically we all say "later model 2014" when talking about them so I kinda used the "lat" root word :lol:

So yes, March 31. Same date tire rack uses also when choosing your car.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have an early 13 and I went with the HPS pads at 21k miles because I wore out the OEM pads. I had my rotors turned and mounted the pads myself. There are two big changes.
1) Less initial bite, but better feel. You know how the brakes feel a little sensitive when you get out of just about any other car and drive your ST? Like, if someone's not wearing their seatbelt, you throw them into the dashboard? Yeah, that's gone. They now have just the right feel.
2) Wear; I got 21k out of the OEM pads. I am now at 67k miles and still on the HPS pads. Sweet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just make sure to hit the wheels with water lightly whenever I wash my car and get some soap on there... never have had a dust issue since. I think theres some stuff called ironx that works well too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts