Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The internet is populated by people. This means that their writings are limited to their knowledge, thought capabilities, writing abilities, biases, etc. The real world is populated by these same people, but most people have a lessened tendency to say in person what they might write. We all know this as keyboard courage.

One of the ridiculous things that keyboard courage makes possible is a type of "binary syndrome". The sufferer of this syndrome writes something he thinks is clever, like this:

If you don't own two Porsches, why do you own any Porsche at all?
Or, If you don't use 93 octane in your ST, why did you even bother to drive an ST?

Among other things, these are obvious false dichotomies: a binary choice when in fact there are many possibilities. But there's an attitude underneath the statement too, namely, that if you don't act in the manner suggested by the false dichotomy, then you shouldn't have acted at all. I ran smack into this in person last night, and I'd like to tell you the story.

March 20th was my 18th wedding anniversary. A lengthy, stable marriage can make a man complacent, so I hadn't bought my longsuffering bride a card. Last night I went to Dollar General, where all frugal men buy cards because they realize that a $5 card is at least four wasted dollars. A young man was smoking a cigarette by the store's door as I pulled into my parking space, and I saw him eyeing the car. I wondered if an exchange would take place, and it soon did. I'll paraphrase it:

Him: Nice car. What do you have under the hood?
Me: It's completely stock.
Him: My dad has an ST and he added a downpipe and tuned it. They make big power when tuned.
Me: I have no desire to mod my car. Besides, they have a tiny turbo so the tune only goes so far.

I went in and found my card. As I was checking out, I realized he was a store employee. He walked in as I was headed out. Wanting to be friendly, I said goodbye. The exchange continued at his prompting:

Him: You really should tune that car. It will be fast.
Me: The idea that the car isn't fast without the tune, is a myth. It's plenty fast.

The look on his face was one of partial astonishment, as though he's never had anybody counter his inherent assumption that if it's not tuned, it's not actually fast. As I drove away, I reflected upon this remarkable experience. Though I cannot cite specific examples, I can recall reading in this very forum (and plenty of others) the same false dichotomy, a "Tune or suck!" mythos. But I suppose I've never had anybody say it directly to me. I've never had the experience of "I'm stage 3, bra!" as if the guy uttering this exclamation is actually talking in code, inquiring about your membership in the Secret Brotherhood of the Tune or Forever Suck cult.

I'm not into modding my car much and I think it's already plenty fast. If I wanted a 2.0L four banger I could readily tune for big power, I would have purchased a GTI. And if I wanted a faster car I would have purchased a Mustang GT. The ST is a fine, fine automobile as it comes from the factory, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying it as Ford Performance designed it. And if this lowers the esteem others may have for me or my purchase, I'm okay with that.

I love these kinds of stories. Anybody have one they want to share?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very well written, while I have no stories relating to my ST I have several regarding my bikes. I have ridden all sorts of bikes and owned mainly sports or sports touring bikes. The last bike I owned was my Hayabusa. I loved that bike and didn't really want to sell it. Life has a strange way of suggesting things that we may not always want to do. Regardless, to nut shell what could be an extremely long story, they all have a common thread. That being "it's not a Harley so it's not worth riding." That always kind of chapped me a bit. We all have different tastes and conforts zones. I understand that you ride what you ride for your own reasons, I do the same. What gives anyone the right to shun anyone else for what they chose to ride/drive. In an effort to not ramble on and eventually rant I shall end this poorly written excuse of a contribution here. I am pretty sure anyone who has ever hopped on a bike will have several of the same type of stories.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Very well written.......
My dad is that Harley type, which is funny because he doesn't even own one. I always tell him I see Harley's walking down the street all the time because they break down so often. (which I really do see a lot of them)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hear it all the time at work. A lot of "bro"science and it makes my eyes roll in to my head.

Whether it's lifting weights or tuning cars...it's hard to find people that can talk about either thing with a level head. This forum/community has been great so far though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think people mean well, but sometimes their intentions get lost. They are not trying to say, "tune or suck", but rather "tune it, it's awesome". There will always be the division of stock vs mod, but like most things in life. It's not black and white, but more a grey area. It's depends on your car values. Warranty and longevity vs tinkering (I won't say performance, cause not every mod adds that). Do what's right for you.

I think the, "tune it" talk comes from a place of car love though. Everybody says it cause they love it, and want you to experience it. They just don't realize your car values differ from theirs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think people mean well, but sometimes their intentions get lost. They are not trying to say, "tune or suck", but rather "tune it, it's awesome". There will always be the division of stock vs mod, but like most things in life. It's not black and white, but more a grey area. It's depends on your car values. Warranty and longevity vs tinkering (I won't say performance, cause not every mod adds that). Do what's right for you.

I think the, "tune it" talk comes from a place of car love though. Everybody says it cause they love it, and want you to experience it. They just don't realize your car values differ from theirs.
I agree, he was most likely not meaning it as your car sucks because it isn't tuned, he was more meaning you should tune it because it gets "more fun" basically. He probably was confused by your last comment because he didn't expect someone with that car to say that, he probably thought "Hey ST owner, wonder if he is tuned?--->Wait he isn't? He should it is more fun when it is.".

Ohh, and hello Leroy!!:D:p:eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I avoid other "car" people in my life because I've found that encountering people who aren't just into cars to make up for a personality deficiency and actually know anything and appreciate a wide variety of vehicles are incredibly rare. What I do encounter is idiots trying to race, usually in beat old Honda products or a Fiona "Burn Notice" Hyundai while I'm cruising along. I drive over 50k miles a year, so I'm not spending money to tune this thing, maybe reducing its longevity, so that I can sit in the same damn traffic to get goaded on by the same idiots. Especially where I'd have to be a sociopath with no regard for other people on the road if I were to race these dunces in this traffic (and who I'm sure can't drive worth a damn, anyway). Now, if I didn't do the miles I do, maybe I'd think about autocrossing and tuning the deficiencies I feel crop up as I refine my driving skill, but for a street car where I only occasionally get the chance to get on it, it's just enough power to have fun without being a menace or arrest-baiting. Though, if I were going to race, I'd probably build something specifically for the purpose.

Most people think mainly about themselves and most of how they act towards others shows a bit of how they view themselves. I've built custom bikes and kayaks and a common annoyance is people telling me what they would have done differently and I think it's kind of the same thing with these "you should tune it" guys. Maybe it's that they're inspired by it and thinking aloud about how they'd make it their own if they built/owned such a thing (if they had more free time/money/skill/knowledge/tools/creativity/whatever else to do so) rather than it being anything about the owner/builder, but it's still annoying. Similarly, it might be something like how a lot of people buy lottery tickets—particularly the ones who only buy when there's an especially big jackpot—because it gives them a day or so to dream about what they'd do if they won—they don't seriously expect to win, but they're paying to fantasize about it. So, I don't spend time wondering what people think of me because it's very likely that they're not, they're thinking about themselves, possibly worrying about what other people—even just passing strangers—are thinking of them at that moment. People are interesting.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This forum and the Hayabusa forum are probably the most supportive places I have been on the internets. It's kind of sad that we find it so difficult to be that supportive in person to one another. Kind of a sad commentary on life if you really think about it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lol, that's great. Reminds me of this clip (not directed towards you, that's just a great underhanded compliment):
I have learned that there are many different people in this world and I try to treat everyone the way they treat others. If someone comes at me demeaning or insulting right away I try to find subtle ways of telling them just how valuable they are to society. Most of the time they dont even know what happened.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I hear comments like this all the time. I dont try to offend them though because I have to ask myself if they just truely dont know. Some kids are really into cars but dont know a damn thing other than what car magazines and forums say. To each their own, who am I to crush another car enthusiasts dream. As you get older you have to learn to conserve your energy and pick your battles.:). my.02

·
Registered
830 Posts
I always tell Harley guys that I am jealous of their mechanical skills
Funny that's in this thread because that's a myth since the early 80's, but anyone who talks **** because someone doesn't own a Harley isn't a rider anyway they're just a douche with a Harley.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,197 Posts
Funny that's in this thread because that's a myth since the early 80's, but anyone who talks **** because someone doesn't own a Harley isn't a rider anyway they're just a douche with a Harley.
Couldn't agree more, when I find a Harley rider who comments on having a "real bike" or even says the word "rice" I immediately end the conversation. Simple minded idiots.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Couldn't agree more, when I find a Harley rider who comments on having a "real bike" or even says the word "rice" I immediately end the conversation. Simple minded idiots.
Its all about what puts the biggest smile on your face. I've ridden all types of bikes and for me its Harley but I wave to anyone that rides. even waved to a moped once lol

Reactions: swok

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like he was just suggesting a tune would make it preform better. This platform works well with a tune . Sounds like you bought it because its a cheap performer stock. Good for you . Some of us like what a good tune does for it. To me it's a waste not to tune... Gives you something to work with besides just going from point A to b .. if I wanted that I'd drive a Prius. I'd never buy a GTI... Ugly plaid interior. High priced maintenance. But hey you have fun driving your unturned ST. His dad will have fun driving his Tuned St.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,197 Posts
Well now that's just going too far!
2 wheels and a motor and they get the hand from me, so not at all too far. Hell I'll even wave at pedal bikers sometimes if they nod at me...it just usually isn't the normal biker wave.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts