Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
What do you mean by gains? You wont really see any gains in hp/tq by adding an intercooler. Your charge temps will stay lower, especially during WOT pulls helping maintain hp/tq levels.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am currently running stage 1 Cobb tune. I have been emailing Cobb about going to stage 2, they suggested a bigger FMIC. I asked about Steeda's cause theirs is 27"x8.5"x3.5" core, however they recommended I purchase theirs which is 24"x8"x3.5", however I found a fswerks one that is 22"x8"x3.5". So my main question is can I go with the fswerks and get the types of gains as I would with Cobb, or would the Steeda one be too big and lag more?

Thanks,
Sean
Since they are probably running a bit more timing, boost, and fuel you will be making more heat. To combat that heat and to ensure the tune doesn't pull timing an intercooler is required. To answer this question, you can run any current offering of intercooler and have 100% confidence that you will see the gains advertised by Cobb using their "Stage 2" calibration

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I recommend a vendor here that also provides tuning services. You could PM them and see if they could give you a package deal with tune and FMIC kit. That will net you better gains over Cobb OTS.

·
Registered
370 Posts
from what I just read it would be the shorter one if it is made correctly. Longer is not better since they are the same thickness. Take with a grain of salt, I am new to this

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I may be so bold, when replacing intercooler, I would think about what your end game is going to be. How much horsepower do you want? No sense in putting in a huge FMIC if you don't need it.
Also, thickness does have an effect on efficiency as the thicker the core is, the less efficient it becomes front to back. Can the stock radiator handle a bit more air flow blockage.
And kudos to the Bell quote! Corky is a good man who knows what he is talking about. Never have I had an issue with my Bell intercooler on my MSM!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looking at an aftermarket FMIC. I’d like a bolt on kit with 2.5” piping. I’m sure the Cobb is super nice for $1100 but I’ve seen a lot of other options for less. I don’t want a junk Chinese ebay unit either. I’ve got all the regular bolt ons and probably will keep the stock turbo. Is thicker and bigger necessarily better? What about buying a core and piping separate ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts