Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I see this term thrown around a lot here. There is more to a quality part than just a clean weld or nice packaging.

Just stop... 99% of the time you have no data to back this up...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Great examples and proof to show people are wrong you really showed em! I expect that's the last time we will see that ridiculous statement around here.

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's a term German car salesmen invented to distract the customers away from the lack of reliability of the cars they sold.
P.T. Barnum built an entire business on the notion there's a sucker born every min...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's a term German car salesmen invented to distract the customers away from the lack of reliability of the cars they sold.
P.T. Barnum built an entire business on the notion there's a sucker born every min...
I get what you are saying. But to most people these days are using it as a sign of reliability or the quality of material used in construction of something. If someone produces something with bad reliability isn't it fair to say the build quality wasn't good? Or if it was well made and lasted 40 years that it was of good quality. I know the beginning of the term might be sketchy, but how most people use it I think it's a decent descriptor.

What are some other options people prefer to be used?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I get what you are saying. But to most people these days are using it as a sign of reliability or the quality of material used in construction of something. If someone produces something with bad reliability isn't it fair to say the build quality wasn't good? Or if it was well made and lasted 40 years that it was of good quality. I know the beginning of the term might be sketchy, but how most people use it I think it's a decent descriptor.

What are some other options people prefer to be used?
Poor reliability is not 100% tied into poor workmanship or build quality.

A car can be poorly assembled but still be highly robust and have good durability in the field. It would not have high initial build quality, but it was reliable. I.e. in the old days where the expression was a GM product would run poorly longer than many others ran well. Not to say it was the god's honest truth all of the time, but it went to show that just because of poor initial quality, doesn't mean the product couldn't have been simple enough to be reliable in spite of the poor build quality.

However if something is assembled very well the initial build quality was great, but if the components are all sub standard and prone to failure just out side the warranty period then it isn't durable or reliable.

They are really two wholly separate issues.

If the car was assembled properly and the parts fit well that may be an indicator of long term quality, but it is no guarantee.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an example, someone orders a stainless steel exhaust and when it arrives they notice it has clean welds. Then say it's a quality part without realizing that the steel was sourced in China and doesn't meet SS standards. To be fair to everyone, I really mean my quality in general. There is a lot that goes into determining quality.

I was tired last night. Sorry.

With that being said, I still feel people throw it around with nothing objective to base it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
As an example, someone orders a stainless steel exhaust and when it arrives they notice it has clean welds. Then say it's a quality part without realizing that the steel was sourced in China and doesn't meet SS standards. To be fair to everyone, I really mean my quality in general. There is a lot that goes into determining quality.

I was tired last night. Sorry.

With that being said, I still feel people throw it around with nothing objective to base it on.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It probably is over-used. A lot of people post immediate reviews and the looks play more of a role in quality than it should so I get your point.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great post with great information OP

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feel like I see this term thrown around a lot here. There is more to a quality part than just a clean weld or nice packaging.

Just stop... 99% of the time you have no data to back this up...
This is why steeda makes a big deal over their ISO standards. Builder reputation and how long they have been in business is also hard data in a sense. ****ty products will put a business out to pasture soon enough.

Data is only as good as the DOE in place testing quality. At the end of the day these are aftermarket car parts. Testing, such as ICP or XFR metal testing is out of reach for most along with a lot of other testing strats. Testing services themselves should be gmp or glp to ensure data quality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts