Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
ST Vendor
3,155 Posts
Hey guys & gals --

Did some research on sway bars and thought I'd share... Here's a summary of sway bars & endlinks including their functionality and what's currently available for the ST. I can supply the specifics on each one, but I do ask for you to supply some reviews and driving impressions on which you're currently running!

One of the cheapest and easiest ways of improving the handling of a front-wheel drive car is to upgrade the sway bars (aka anti-sway bars). Sway bars reduce body roll by linking the two sides of the car either at the front or at the rear. More specifically, the roll of the car is resisted by the torsional (twisting) action of the sway bar that attempts to lift the inside rear wheel. In other words, a sway bar is effectively an extra spring that connects the left and right wheels together.
Too soft of a bar results in plenty of understeer, something which is good for safety in the averagely-driven commuter car.
Too stiff of a rear bar in a front-wheel drive vehicle will result in a much higher likelihood of a spin if you lift-off mid-corner.
When you add the front and rear bars together, it's like handling nirvana. A large imbalance towards either direction causes the car to feel off, which is why many decide to upgrade them in pairs. Finding the right combo for your driving style and habits is always the hardest part.

For starters, here's a few specs on the stock sway bars for the ST.

FOCUS ST OEM SWAY BAR FEATURES:
Front Sway Bar:
OE bar: 25 mm HOLLOW​
OE measured bar rate: 160 lbs/in​
OE bar weight: 7 lbs (3 kg)​
Rear Sway Bar:
OE bar: 22 mm SOLID​
OE measured bar rate: 98 lbs/in​
OE bar weight: 10 lbs (4.5 kg)​

Now for some info on the aftermarket sway bars that are currently available.

COBB Adjustable Anti-Sway Bar Kit (Pair Part Number: 9F1250)$375 (pair)
Cobb Sway Bars.jpg
The COBB Anti-Sway Bar Kit is one of the most effective ways to improve handling without negatively affecting ride quality or NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness). The perfectly balanced kit has a 27mm front bar and an adjustable 25 mm rear bar to resist body-roll, sharpen turn-in response, and reduce understeer. The CNC bent anti-swaybar kit includes stiffer polyurethane bushings for instant suspension response, and all are direct factory replacements to ensure perfect OEM-like fitment without compromising performance. The COBB Tuning Anti-Sway Bar Kit is compatible with stock and most aftermarket endlinks.

Front Sway Bar($215)
Size: 27mm HOLLOW​
Adjustable: Non-Adjustable​
Measured Bar Rate: 283 lbs/in (80% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 10.4 lbs (4.7 kg)​
Bushings: Stiffer Polyurethane Bushings​
Finish: Black Powder Coat​
Individual Part Number: 9F1250F​

Rear Sway Bar($169)
Size: 25mm HOLLOW​
Adjustable: 2-Way Adjustable​
Measured Bar Rate: 145 lbs/in, 180 lbs/in (50% & 90% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 10.4 lbs (4.7 kg)​
Bushings: Stiffer Polyurethane Bushings & New Brackets​
Individual Part Number: 9F1250R​

Eibach Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit (Pair Part Number: 35140.32) MSRP $459, can find $380 (pair)
Eibach Sway Bars.jpg

Eibach ANTI-ROLL-KITS reduce body roll through increased design stiffness over stock bars. The result: increased handling and cornering grip in any performance-driving situation. These sway bars are manufactured from precision hi-tensile steel alloy, cold-formed, tempered and shot-peened for long-lasting performance and durability with precision forged ends and OEM style pressed bushing locaters (no welding or weak points). Compatible with stock and most aftermarket endlinks. This product is backed by Eibach’s Million-Mile Warranty.

Front Sway Bar ($225)
Size: 27mm HOLLOW​
Measured Bar Rate: 285 lbs/in (80% stiffer than stock)​
Weight: 11 lbs (5 kg)​
Bushings: Greasable Urethane Bushings​
Finish: Red Powder Coat​
Individual Part Number: 35140.31​

Rear Sway Bar ($150)
Size: 25mm HOLLOW​
Measured Bar Rate:143 lbs/in & 183 lbs/in (50% & 90% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 11 lbs (5 kg)​
Bushings: Urethane Bushings & New Brackets​
Finish: Red Powder Coat​
Individual Part Number:35140.312​

ST Suspension Rear Street Anti-Sway Bar (Part Number: 51061) $170 (Rear)
ST Sway Bar.jpg
Performance and comfort characteristics are taken into consideration with each ST suspensions anti-sway bar design. Incorporating 25 plus years of design experience, ST suspensions anti-sway bars are manufactured from cold formed solid steel and use swedged ends for their superior strength and reliability. Compatible with stock and most aftermarket endlinks. All ST suspensions anti-sway bars include high grade mounting hardware, polyurethane bushings and are powder coated for a lasting finish.

Rear Sway Bar
Size: 24mm SOLID​
Measured Bar Rate: 127 lbs/in & 147 lbs/in (30% & 50% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: Unspecified​
Bushings: Polyurethane Bushings & New Brackets​

Steeda Autosports Rear Sway Bar (Part Number: 555-1084) $150 (Rear)
Steeda Sway Bar.jpg
Steeda's in house designed and manufactured rear swaybar for the Ford Focus ST increases roll stiffness by 70 percent. This increase in stiffness improves vehicle handling performance by greatly reducing understeer and also reduces overall vehicle body roll. This silver powdercoated rear swaybar is compatible with stock and most aftermarket endlinks. This Steeda swaybar kit includes replacement polyurethane bushings, bushing brackets and installation instructions. Backed by a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA!

Rear Sway Bar
Size:26mm SOLID​
Measured Bar Rate: 166 lbs/in (70% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 13 lbs (approx.) (5.8 kg)​
Bushings: Greasable Polyurethane Bushings & New Brackets​
Finish: Silver Powder Coat​

JBR Front and Rear Sway Bars (Part Number: FST-FSB (Front) FST-RSB (Rear)) $190 (Each)

Front:

The JBR Tru-Torsion Front Sway Bar Kit is one of the most effective ways to improve handling without negatively affecting ride quality or increasing NVH. It's 28.6mm in diameter and offers two settings to choose from that provide a 85% or 99% increase in stiffness to resist body-roll. The adjustability allows for fine tuning and makes this sway bar kit the perfect choice whether you’re already running a JBR Rear Sway Bar or any another manufactures bar.

Rear:

ST-RSB-BLK_06.JPG

The JBR Tru-Torsion 32mm Rear Sway Bar significantly reduces the vehicles tendency to push the front end during hard cornering, drastically reduces body roll, and greatly increases traction and predictability. Two adjustment settings allow for fine tuning. Perfect for the street or the track.

Front Sway Bar ($190)
Size: 28.6mm HOLLOW​
Adjustable: 2-way Adjustable​
Measured Bar Rate: 296 lbs/in & 318 lbs/in (85% & 99% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 5.8lbs​
Finish: Red, Blue, Black Powder Coat​
Individual Part Number: FST-FSB​

Rear Sway Bar ($190)
Size: 32mm HOLLOW​
Measured Bar Rate: 336 lbs/in & 368 lbs/in (243% & 276% stiffer than OE)​
Weight: 12.8 lbs​
Finish: Red, Blue, Black Powder Coat​
Individual Part Number:FST-RSB​

And to sum it all up, here's a bar chart showing measured bar rate comparison of all items above compared to OEM.

sway bar rate chart.png

Now onto endlinks...
Aftermarket endlinks are suggested when upgrading your sway bars as they are thicker and stronger to better handle the added stresses of bigger sway bars. Adjustable Endlinks are great for those of us that are lowered, accommodating for the drop in suspension geometry which can add preload to the swaybar. A preloaded swaybar is one that is already twisted from its factory resting position. This means it will act differently on left turns from right turns. Another benefit of adjustable endlinks gives you the ability to shift weight around the corners of your car through pre-load. With aftermarket adjustable endlinks you can easily move weight from the right side to the left side, front to rear vice versa.

Steeda Adjustable Front Sway Bar Endlinks (Part Number: 555-1081) $100
Steeda Front Endlinks.jpg
Steeda's adjustable swaybar end links make a great upgrade for the stock end links as well as the perfect dual purpose street/open track piece. For street applications these endlinks are as quiet as the factory units. They will not add NVH like rod end units. For competition uses our double adjustable design makes it adjustable on the car and allows to both retain proper swarbar geometry on lowered cars and adjust swaybar preload for fine tuning. The adjustment body is constructed from lightweight aerospace grade aluminum and is corrosion resistant. End links feature case hardened ball studs that are greaseable and feature significantly increased swing area compared to spherical rod ends. Includes locking hardware for installation. Backed by Steeda's lifetime warranty.

• As silent as factory units in street use
  • Aerospace grade aluminum center adjusters
  • Double adjustable design for adjustment without removing them from the vehicle.
  • More swing area than endlinks with spherical rod ends
  • Case hardened ball stud
  • Proudly made in the USA!
Steeda Adjustable Rear Sway Bar Endlinks (Part Number: 555-1091) $90
Steeda Rear Endlinks.jpg
Steeda adjustable rear swaybar endlinks for the Focus ST are constructed from high strength billet aluminum and feature long lasting high durometer urethane bushings which will improve feel without adding any noise and vibration into the vehicle. These adjustable rear endlinks offer easy on-car adjustability and allow for fine tuning handling and rear swaybar geometry. Will work with the stock original rear swaybar or Steeda Focus ST rear swaybars. Two bushing choices are provided to allow you to choose the level of control you want to have.

• Adjustable design for improved handling
  • Long lasting high durometer polyurethane bushings
  • Direct bolt-on replacement
  • Two bushing choices included

Whiteline Adjustable Sway Bar Endlinks (Part Number: KLC151) $140
whiteline.jpg
Performance sway bar links utilizing a heavy duty steel ball joint ends that adjust & rotate to any angular combination. Eliminate sway bar preload via the lightweight aluminum bodies provide 25mm center to center length adjustment. These engineered "Synthetic Elastomer" bushings feature the quality ride of rubber at lower speeds, and at higher speeds react when under cornering, accelerating and braking loads, for ultimate chassis control and improved handling. Backed by Whiteline limited lifetime warranty.
  • Improved articulation, performance, vibration and noise dampening
  • Aluminum Bodies & Steel Ball Joint Ends
  • Advanced synthetic elastomer characteristics
  • Superior elasticity, memory and outright durability
  • Adjustment: 25-30mm (Can adjust when on car)
  • Bolt Diameter: 10mm
  • Overall Length: 310mm-335mm

Massive Race Spec Adjustable End Links (Part Number: MASS’13900.x) $100
massive.jpg
Perfect for your performance lowered vehicle! 6061 Aluminum tube construction for light weight and strength - tapered for max range of motion. Cost-no-object fully lined US Made Aurora spherical rod ends provide superior accuracy, no noise and lubrication free operation. Rod ends are properly swedge-studded for strength, ease of install and will not come loose. INCLUDES essential rod end boot to keep out dust/dirt/road salt - a must for longevity. Supplied with high grade yellow zinc plated purple insert Nylock nuts and washers for corrosion resistance.
  • 6061 Aluminum Tube
  • Corrosion Resistant
  • Includes Rod End Boot
  • No Lubrication Required
  • Noise Free
  • Swedge Studded
Part Numbers (Color Specific):
• Purple (MASS’13900.007)
• Black (MASS’13900.0)
• Silver (MASS’13900.000)
• Blue (MASS’13900.006)
• Red (MASS’13900.002)
• Purple (MASS’13900.007)
• Texture Black Conspiracy (MASS’13900.CC)

So there you have it! If you are currently running any of these sway bars / endlinks, please comment with your review!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just got my Eibach kit today and the Whiteline end links. I also ordered Bilstein B14 coilovers. I installed the rear bar this evening but am waiting for the suspension before I do the front. Now that I think of it though I think I'll install the front bar tomorrow. I also plan to attend my first auto cross on Sunday. I'll update on the package after install. Then I just have to wait for my Forgestar F14's to arrive.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hmmm. The cobb and eibach seem about the same spec wise and price wise. I guess it comes down to which color you think looks better under your car. Me thinks eibach red and red massive adjustable links would look gooooooood!

·
Registered
550 Posts
EXCELLENT post grungie!

·
ST Vendor
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got my Eibach kit today and the Whiteline end links. I also ordered Bilstein B14 coilovers. I installed the rear bar this evening but am waiting for the suspension before I do the front. Now that I think of it though I think I'll install the front bar tomorrow. I also plan to attend my first auto cross on Sunday. I'll update on the package after install. Then I just have to wait for my Forgestar F14's to arrive.
Holy cow that's a lot of goodies at once! So are you doing autox with just the rear? If you are I'd be interested to hear the difference between just the rear versus the whole shebang!

Hmmm. The cobb and eibach seem about the same spec wise and price wise. I guess it comes down to which color you think looks better under your car. Me thinks eibach red and red massive adjustable links would look gooooooood!
Since my lugs are purple I'm thinking of getting purple massive endlinks and powder coating sway bars purple too when I get them. I'm planning on Cobb but that could change. But yeah I was surprised the Cobb and eibach are about the same.

EXCELLENT post grungie!
Thank you, kind sir! I was sick of digging so I thought an all-in-one would be a good idea for everyone!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I knew when I saw they came in purple you would be all over them lol.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just dont go to far. To much of an accent color can start to look tacky

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I installed the Eibach rear one with everything else stock and it seems to be working out fine. When I was installing it I dropped one side accidentally and it pulled one of the end links apart. A little force fixed that with no fouls. A lot of people here seem to say just installing a anti roll bar and nothing else is a waste and can actually hurt performance but lemme tell you I likes it. With no objective way to rate it all I can say is it feels a lot more stable during maneuvers. I feel a little more confident during a hard turn. Plus it seems easier to induce and control a slide, as an added bonus. Placebo maybe, but I feel like I got my monies worth. I have it set at the 50% setting by the way.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
How big of a pain is the front bar to install?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
stiffer bar = broken cross member. trust me
if u upgrade i'd buy a few spares

·
ST Vendor
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just dont go to far. To much of an accent color can start to look tacky
Hunted down an old pic of my beloved accord for you, I miss that car lik no other...
Fingers crossed my phone doesn't butcher it...

ForumRunner_20140126_000610.png

That's what 15k hid fogs look like, and I'm dying to get that car back at some point in my life so let's not talk about the car, only the purple fogs

1 - 20 of 302 Posts