Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Thats what I meant. The top hats can be reused, or the 13 top hats will fit on the 14 springs. Its the lower spring perch on the 14+ dampers that change, which we all know about already. From what I recall, Ford changed the part number of the bearing/tophat assembly in favor for a different bearing, or something to that nature, but they still work on either spring.
thank you for clarification.. see, like i said I was merely pointing in the direction i didnt know for sure myself. thanks!

Reactions: freakin_elrod

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hate to revive this from almost a year ago, but just to clarify, if anyone with a 14.5 up Focus wants upgraded front struts, you have to order them for a 2013 and run 2013 springs? Also, out of the Bilsteins, which ones are designed for lowering springs?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The only aftermarket struts for performance, koni and bilstein are for the previous 2014 and older models. Bilstein b6 is for stock height, b8 for lowered applications.

Your springs must match the year struts you're buying. So in this case all pre-2014 stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this may be a dumb question, but can you use stock spring with the B8? would there be any reason not to do this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heads up to anyone who may see this in the next day.

CJPP has a sale on konis until Monday, the 21st. (Not sure if it ends on Monday or after Monday...)

For me they were ~$650 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
this may be a dumb question, but can you use stock spring with the B8? would there be any reason not to do this?
Yeah I would also appreciate some clarification. Here is what i think I have gathered:
-2015+ spring perch is different

-these aftermarket options were designed for 2013-2014, not 2015+

-no aftermarket exists for 2015+

-if want to use these aftermarket parts 2015+, you can get 2013-2014 spring. How come online website say the aftermarket options will fit my 2015 without explaining this?/What happens if I dont?

-B4 is aftermarket but closest to OEM you will find

-B6 is slightly upgraded B4

-B8 is top end aftermarket. Whether need to be lowered or not does not seem to be clear?/Will these work & provide benefits for otherwise OEM suspension? Again I have part sites telling me this will fit no problem, can I trust that?

-Koni is also an aftermarket option, their unique feature is adjustability.

·
Registered
782 Posts
For the 14+ with the revised spring perch design, Bilstein does offer them now.

here are the part numbers for the front:
29-256402
29-256419

pic of the 14+ B8 for reference just if you were wondering

So now if you have a 14+ you can get/keep lowering springs for your 14+ along with the newer B8's

·
Registered
138 Posts
For the 14+ with the revised spring perch design, Bilstein does offer them now.

here are the part numbers for the front:
29-256402
29-256419

pic of the 14+ B8 for reference just if you were wondering
View attachment 379018

So now if you have a 14+ you can get/keep lowering springs for your 14+ along with the newer B8's
Where were these 6 months ago?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Reactions: 04zts

·
Registered
2013 ST SP63 forged block, 2005 ST 2.5L fusion duratec swap.
6 Posts
Hey just acquired my first 3rd gen focus,
the previous owner had been rolling on Eibach sportline springs (228 lb/in F, 251 lb/in R) with stock shocks. The car has 100k miles on it. Needless to say the stock struts are blown out, along with the front strut tower bearings.

I am looking at replacement options. Would love Koni yellows, but may not be sensible right now. I'm building my first gen ST for track use and this "new" 3rd gen for daily driving/ road use.

The motorcraft struts are the most affordable replacement, may go that route just to hold me over until koni yellows. How do their shocks hold up new? would they last 20,000 miles on lowered springs or not even that?

Im aware i should just get the yellows, but the ones in the car are really bad right now and I'm just looking for something to hold me over. Not trying to fully build out the 3rd gen just yet.

·
Registered
2013 ST SP63 forged block, 2005 ST 2.5L fusion duratec swap.
6 Posts
let’s say I can expect 20k miles before they really bite the dust on the eibach springs again... would they even provide a more comfortable ride? Or are the lowered springs too far from their designed operating height.

I just looked. The B8’s are now almost the exact same price as the yellows, and the yellows have rebound adjustment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would think they'd go longer than 20k, but it depends on how hard you hammer. Look, it's definitely cheaper to pony up for the upgraded struts now. No question. If you can't, it is what it is. Rockauto has KYB's and Bilstein B4's as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey just acquired my first 3rd gen focus,
the previous owner had been rolling on Eibach sportline springs (228 lb/in F, 251 lb/in R) with stock shocks. The car has 100k miles on it. Needless to say the stock struts are blown out, along with the front strut tower bearings.

I am looking at replacement options. Would love Koni yellows, but may not be sensible right now. I'm building my first gen ST for track use and this "new" 3rd gen for daily driving/ road use.

The motorcraft struts are the most affordable replacement, may go that route just to hold me over until koni yellows. How do their shocks hold up new? would they last 20,000 miles on lowered springs or not even that?

Im aware i should just get the yellows, but the ones in the car are really bad right now and I'm just looking for something to hold me over. Not trying to fully build out the 3rd gen just yet.
I was on steeda springs and stock struts. I got about 20-25k and on them before I broke and got konis, but 20k is reasonable if you're not going crazy. I pretty much hit any and every backroad I can everywhere I go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also worth asking in this thread.

On konis and mountune springs now, probably 5k miles on them and very happy I got them.

I set the konis halfway all around and it's a little bouncy at times. Somewhat unsettled by certain bumps in corners.

Should I go softer or harder with the adjustment on the konis? Sadly I don't have an aftermarket strut tower or shock tower brace so I have to drop everything to get to the adjustments.

How they settled for anyone curious.
Stock size PS4S tires, 18x8.5 ET40 wheels.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Also worth asking in this thread.

On konis and mountune springs now, probably 5k miles on them and very happy I got them.

I set the konis halfway all around and it's a little bouncy at times. Somewhat unsettled by certain bumps in corners.

Should I go softer or harder with the adjustment on the konis? Sadly I don't have an aftermarket strut tower or shock tower brace so I have to drop everything to get to the adjustments.

How they settled for anyone curious.
Stock size PS4S tires, 18x8.5 ET40 wheels.

The Konis are a little different than most of the cookie cutter dampers out there that have "clicks" for adjustments. On previous vehicles I owned with Koni yellows, I started off setting the damper to full soft, and making 1/2 turn adjustments towards stiff til I was pleased with how the car handled. I don't think I ever got near full stiff or even the halfway point.

Reactions: 04zts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I suggest 90 deg from full soft for the rear and maybe take the fronts 180 deg towards soft.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
294 Posts
ST-X on a 14'.... whats the best way to adjust the height in the rears? (the driver side is about 3/4" higher than passanger. I know there is an allen nut on the bottom under the perch. is that where to adjust?.. also can i adjust it while its loaded? or do I need to unload the spring to adjust? Ive done other coilovers in the past. this is the first separated kit ive worked on.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts