Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently the market only makes struts and shocks for the 2013 ST. If you want a cup ST-yle* suspension and you're unwilling to wait, good news. You can purchase a 2013 springs and dampeners and they bolt right in. The top cap and steering knuckle are unchanged. Mid 2013 saw a revision of the top cap. The change is to the perch on the struts and the spring itself. It's the reason coilovers fit either year.

Bilstein B4******

Bilstein B4 OE Replacement Series gas pressure shocks and struts are specifically engineered to be the best choice for maintaining the original ride quality of your vehicle, while meeting or exceeding OE standards. These dampers are the ideal choice for the driver looking to restore the original performance and handling of their vehicle, with the added benefit of world-famous Bilstein quality.

image.jpg
Twintube Strut Assembly (click for more info)
Part Number: 22-220530
Series: B4 OE Replacement
Position: Front Left*
Descriptor: Sport Suspension
Twintube Strut Assembly (click for more info)
Part Number: 22-220547
Series: B4 OE Replacement
Position: Front Right
Descriptor: Sport Suspension

Bilstein B6******

Bilstein B6 (HD) gas pressure shocks and struts are the ideal choice for most vehicles, including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability, without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for the driver who demands superior performance, while maintaining an exceptional street ride.

image.jpg
36mm Monotube Strut Assembly
Part Number: 29-196500
Series: B6 (HD)
Descriptor: Standard Chassis
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Finish: Yellow Paint
image.jpg
Part Number: 29-196517
Position: Front Right
image.jpg
46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-232968
Position: Rear*

Bilstein B8******

Bilstein B8 (SP) shocks and struts deliver absolute mastery of the road surface for the performance-minded driver. Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are specifically suited for use with special lowering springs in combination with anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades.

image.jpg
Part Number: 29-196531
Series: B8 (SP)
image.jpg
Part Number: 29-196548
Position: Front Right*
image.jpg
46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-232975
Position: Rear

****************************************************************************************************

Koni sport******

KONl Sport struts and shocks are the industry leader for user adjustable damping for daily drivers to weekend warriors. KONl Sport's familiar yellow color has for decades meant superior motion control and adjustability for the discerning

image.jpg

image.jpg

Koni FSD******

FSD is the first premium shock absorber that offers superior handling without compromising ride quality for cars and light trucks, SUVs, motorhomes, and service vehicles. FSD is firm to control large body motions and cornering but soft for comfort over expansion joints and rough roads. FSD's patented technology not only adds comfort and refinement but also improves grip and safety in daily driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nice list so far. Never got into suspension mods on previous cars, but considering it on the ST. looks like B8's with springs are the way to go so far.. What about Ohlins? they going to get involved in our platform? I get a semi when I hear Chris Harris say "Ohlins dampers" on /DRIVE. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
What about Ohlins? they going to get involved in our platform? I get a semi when I hear Chris Harris say "Ohlins dampers" on /DRIVE. :)
I spoke with Jeff at Ohlins back in December about making something for this car since I used them on my last car and offered up my ST as a mule if they need one.

Good to hear from you!
We are gauging interest in the Focus ST for a potential new kit. If there is enough interest, we will certainly need a mule!
It will probably be the spring before anything is decided along those lines though. I’ll be in touch if the plans move forward!
.....and....
Typically it involves two visits. One measuring session (takes a whole day) and one test fit/install session (also takes a whole day).
Then just some minor tweaking afterwards if needed.
That being said, there are a few things:
- We have to have demand for the product first. We will not do a one-off kit.
- Secondly, the time frame from measuring to producing and fitting is often 3-4 months. Chances of you being able to race auto-cross this season on a kit would be somewhere between none and none.
If the demand arises and say we started on your car in April. A realistic timeframe for driving away with dampers fitted would be August to September.
That said, get in touch with Jeff and let him know there is interest.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll def email Jeff and let him know there's another customer interested. How far are you from Hendersonville? Does the test mule get to keep the kit? Think we should start a new Ohlins only thread just to gauge the interest in a kit from them? i know its going to be pricey, but gotta pay to play. Some will argue the bilstiens are just as good for less money, but Ohlins is just cooler :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll def email Jeff and let him know there's another customer interested. How far are you from Hendersonville? Does the test mule get to keep the kit? Think we should start a new Ohlins only thread just to gauge the interest in a kit from them? i know its going to be pricey, but gotta pay to play. Some will argue the bilstiens are just as good for less money, but Ohlins is just cooler :)
I'm only 30 minutes away from Ohlins, Jeff knows I'm close and would be happy and able to help out any time. The only fixed perch strut that I'm aware of that they had in the US market was discontinued about 5 years ago and originally cost over $2k. If they did make anything for this car, it would be a safe bet that it would be coilovers only.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
+1 for sticky!

I installed the Eibach Pro kit springs on my car about 20,000 miles ago, and have been thinking recently about replacing the OEM shocks/struts. The Bilstein B8 (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Bilstein&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport+Shock&partNum=29-196531&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus+ST&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=) shocks/struts look like the best bet for my car/springs.

Thanks for this!
20k miles and no issues? Still the originals?

Thats the only thing im nervous about is having to replace all that way to soon with the pro kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
20k miles and no issues? Still the originals?

Thats the only thing im nervous about is having to replace all that way to soon with the pro kit.
No issues that stand out to me (I've never tracked my car). And yeah, still OEM shocks/struts. So even though I don't seem to have any issues with them, I'd still like a more performance minded shock/strut combo that's meant to work with lowering springs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to sound like a complete idiot here, but what is the reasoning for making these changes? Is this thread just for what to go with once the stocks wear out? Or is there another reason i am missing?

·
Registered
176 Posts
What's the main reason people are picking the bilstein b8 over the koni yellows? If price is similar, I'd imagine the yellows would be the better buy. Do the b8s have a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
What's the main reason people are picking the bilstein b8 over the koni yellows? If price is similar, I'd imagine the yellows would be the better buy. Do the b8s have a lifetime warranty?
Both are high quality products and wii perform great/better than the crap (IMO) stockers. The konis do cost a little more but offer adjustability. Problem is you have to drill/cut something out (some insert in depth info here) to access the adjustability features for the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using FocusSTorg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts